Why would i ever need an additional surgery after braeking tibiax2 and my fibula and dislocted left.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been reading where people are having to go backfor new surgeries... Ie screw's out etc..... That's not everyone correct?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had the same injury. As I understand it from my surgeon, I would only have to remove the hardware (screws, plates, etc) if it bothered me and he said not at least for a year. That said, I'm not planning on it. I'm hoping with time I get accustomed to it. I'm a little more than 3 months post surgery and walking with a lot of stiffness and a limp but that's to be expected. My surgeon said it's a full year to feel like myself again, so hopefully in the next 9 months I will continue to see progress.

Best wishes to you!

• Posted

I'm having 2/7 screws out next week after the same injury. I'm 9 weeks post surgery and happy to get them out. They are holding the tib and fib together to let the ligament heal

• Posted

Some people have hardware removed. I have had some hardware removed and some hardware that remains in place.

Each case is different. Your surgeon will be able to give you details about your own surgery

• Posted

My OS said about 10 % have hardware removal for either infection or excessive pain and/or ROM difficuty. I am 3 months out from trimal ORIF 8/25/16. I did meet someone i waiting room at ine of my appointments that had a screw come out through her leg 3 years later. She had just had surgery to remove her hardware.
    • Posted

I had two screws when you could see the slot for the screw driver through the skin...went great

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.