Will Canada ban Cipro ahead of the EMA decision?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone I have been busy writing to our provincial health minister every day this week with zero response. This morning I messaged our premier with " A happy day (I love Germany) then finished with the following :

" the EMA decision wether to ban empirical treatment with Cipro in Europe happens June 13. If Alberta, Canada were to anounce a ban prior to that date it would send a signal that next to Germany we are the most humanitarian and progressive nation. "

The feds will be next to receive this message. Stay strong friends. Right is might and we have that

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Eric, strength to you arm, my good friend!!!

Warm regards. alan86734.

• Posted

We all look forward to the day we can say to our consultants and doctors " I told you so, now do you believe me?

I have doubts about Canada as they allowed Amiodarone through the country before the FDA succumbed to pressure for it being prescribed and it is as dangerous  as the Cipro family,,   

• Posted

I concur and I too have grave doubts. Which is why I will continue to hound the government. The biggest problem is the general public still remains in the dark and it's only us guinea pigs whose eyes have adjusted. If I was a tweeter I would tweet out # I love Germany, to the world

• Posted

Hi Eric,

I need to make you aware that on June 13th the EMA are actually holding a Public Hearing as part of their ongoing review into the side effects of Fluoroquinolones. The review was started last February 2017 and the completion date has been repeatedly put back from last July, October, this February and now sometime after the Hearing in June!

The review was triggered by the German Medicines Agency after a petition of over 2,000 signatures (while the UK Agency shrugged at my emails and didn't even tell me that any EU member state could trigger a review).

The first ever EMA Public Hearing into a drug called Valproate was held last October.  There can't have been much media interest as we didn't hear about it until a member noticed a report about 2 months ago.  Our UK support group, along with the Germans and other groups, decided we should demand a Public Hearing into FQs so we started an email campaign.  Within 2 weeks we found out that the EMA had announced they would hold a Public Hearing into FQs - although the UK Agency told me they had pushed for this hearing at an earlier meeting and the decision had already been made!

So, a bit of a long story but you might need to get what you write to your own Minister straight.  Also, the decision the EMA make (when they finally make one) isn't so much about banning FQs (not just Cipro) but about how to make their use safer.  We are, of course, asking for a ban but are also suggesting other ways that can be employed to restrict their use.

Please do keep up the good work of trying to get your Government to do something but take care of the details!  Stay strong yourself, Eric, and let your voice be heard!

• Posted

Hello Miriam thanks for clearing all that up. I certainly need to arm myself with the facts. I have never advocated for a total ban on Cipro as it's unnecessary. I have been pushing for a ban on " empirical " treatment with Cipro ever since I was used as a test subject in 2001. If doctors would just be required to read, understand and follow the manufacturer recommendations there wouldn't be a problem. The recommendations stress a presumptive treatment along with susceptibility tests (in a test tube). Nothing in the recommendations would lead anyone to believe this drug is a candidate for Empirical treatment. Which is why the recommendations , as well as the German study were key evidence in my own complaint. These were completely ignored by the clown college. Indeed when they called me for a phone interview I could hear the sound of shuffling papers for a couple minutes then eventually declared she could not find the pages from the CPS I sent to them. Technically all doctors would own a copy and refer to it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.