Will movement just come back?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had a frozen shoulder since January and movement is still restricted I can not raise my arm right above my head or behind my back I know it can last a long time but will full movement just return one day.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I've had restricted movement, and lots of pain since Feb. I wonder the same thing. I've learned to get along with the loss of movement, but the pain is really taking a toll. My daily (and nightly) pain seems to be more in my biceps, and shoulder blade. I only have the bad pain in the shoulder if I go beyond it's ROM, or sudden movements with the arm. I also have a lot of numbness, with pins and needles all the way to my fingers. I've seen two orthopedics, and both shrugged their soulders and said I just have to wait, and there's really nothing they can do. I feel like they don't understand my pain. I won't take pain killers as I have to be able to function at my job, and get things done on days off. I just want it fixed. This is so frustating. I hope you aren't in a lot of pain like me. Post when you start to get your ROM back - I hope it's soon!

• Posted

Well, I  have had FS since July, 2015. Seem to have about an inch or so more movement in each direction so far, just in the last week or so...  Hope we all get our ROM back soon!

• Posted

I have had frozen shoulder since April, so going on 7 months. From what I have heard, the duration can vary from 6-18 months! You are on 10 months, so hopefully on the "downhill" side of the length of it! Are you doing some Physical Therapy? I am doing some and it does help a bit (if only to feel that you are doing SOMETHING) and recently my PT has indicated that his measurements show a bit more range of motion with certain movements. Even these small measures of improvement are encouraging! The key is to work on maintaining and increasing range of motion, while not doing so much that you add to the inflammation. It is a test of patience to be sure. Good luck in your recovery process!

• Posted

Hi Orgar57: I'm at about 18 months in with FS & have around 85% of ROM back. When you first start to thaw, it's helpful to measure your progress every few days. I used a line in the wall tiles to watch my ROM improve. This is a tip someone else posted here probably a year ago. It's quite encouraging to celebrate the little improvements, tile by tile! FS does go away. Liane 

• Posted

i  cannot bend my arm back. i have not much pain and cannot raise my arm above the shoulder
    • Posted

Same. My surgery was 15 weeks ago. I still not connect with my arm past my shoulder forward and I cannot reach behind my back at all. I'm very frustrated.

• Posted

no i cannot take my arm back and cannot raise my arm above the shoulder level. i got cortisone injection 45 days back. i dont think its making me any difference. but i am not doing heavy lifting and taking hot milk with tumeric in it and giving me a lot of pain relief
  • Posted

Hi Orgar57, I had a medium bad case of FS on my right for about a year and a half, and now my left side is going down that road - so frustrating.  But what I wanted to share with you, was the thing that helped me the most.  I found that PT usually made me worse, massage therapy helped only a little.  I found this acupuncturist who specializes in sports injuries and especially frozen shoulders. 

I've had a lot of acupuncture in my life for other reasons, and this one worked on a completely different level.  She basically used the needles to break up the stuck tissue.  The most unbelievable thing was the length of the needles she used to get into my subscapularis.  This is the area between the shoulder blade and the ribcage.  So I would lay on my back with my arm supported elbow up.  Then she would palpate under the shoulder blade and when she would find a batch of glommed up mess... er I don't know the correct terminology... she would sllide the needle into it.  

It was not exactly a relaxing experience but I left every session with seriously improved ROM and comfort every time.  Unfortunately, the results would only last 2 days or so but I am sure it contributed to my recovery not to mention how thrilled I was to have a great deal of pain relief for at least 2 days. She is in Vancouver Canada, but I wanted to describe this as an option that others could look for if interested. Good luck to us all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.