Will regular exercises and a healthy diet help?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, specifically Graves disease in May 2015 and stopped exercising for more than two months. I used to go to the gym like thrice a week and suddenly I just got all weak and the idea of going to the gym frightened me. Like my muscles disappeared and doing a simple workout made my chest hurt like I was running a marathon.

I started with a very low dosage of carbimazol (5mg) along with propranolol and soon stopped feeling chest pains, stopped trembling, stopped sweating like a pig, muscles seemed to be coming back (but not much), gained back my weight and now gaining more weight, visiting the toilet less, sleep slightly better (still not great)... Seems pretty good...

BUT during my first follow-up check with a blood test in early July, my TSH level was still way low and my T3 and T4 were still high. I guess I felt better because of the beta blockers so the doctor upped my carbimazol dosage to 10mg. Fingers crossed that my thyroid will start improving though I know it wouldn't happen so soon.

Anyway, now that I'm feeling better... I'm hoping to start exercising again but probably with lighter exercises like swimming and brisk walking. And perhaps maintain a healthy diet... I wonder if these will help improve my thyroid faster? Also, I'm not exactly happy at work, I feel so exhausted and hate what I'm doing... It pays well and I do not work overtime much but ultimately... I wonder if this job is causing the stress which led to my hyperthyroid in the first place... : ( It feels like a vicious cycle like I want to keep this job so I can pay for my medications but staying means I'll feel unhappy and doesn't make my hyperthyroid better... What should I do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi i was diagnosed in  july 2011 and couldnt do any excersice at all without thinking i was going pass out in a pool of sweat, it was very furstrating especilally as i put on 3 stone in weight. my muscle just wasted away and turned to fat. it was depressing not having any motivation and an aggressive appitite. however since i satred taking vitimin B12 I feel much better, i have also started swimming 30 min a day.  this has transformed my life, i sleep much better and feel like im getting back to normal,im still exhausted at night but the swimming is definatly making me sleep better, the weight is slowly coming off too and my appitite is no longer aggressiv, ive lost over a stone in 8 weeks. i still work full time although i changed my hours and start and finish early now, its working for me. there is light at the end of the tunnel, im still on 5mg of carbinmazole a day and take my B12, i have also just started B6 and a multivit too.. onwards and upwards, im hoping by christmas i will be back to my normal weight and be a lot healthier. little steps 1st  i also want to be hitting the gym again by october. fingere crossed.. good luck. :-)
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply toofattotango! It's really frustrating to lose all your power and watch your muscles deteriorate sad I'm hoping to start a swimming regime and perhaps will try 3 times a week and see how it goes!

I'll look into vitamin supplements as well~ all the best to you too! Let's work towards full recovery smile

• Posted

Hi there, I was doing spin cycle classes 3 times per week, when I discovered I had Graves' disease. I started on 2 x 5mg of Carbimozole per day, I cut back to a seniors spin class or a pump class with light weights with a beta-blocker and kept my heart rate to under 130bpm or a gentle huff and puff, just to keep me from going from going insane. I fely much better doing SOME exercise and could feel improvement in my muscle strength, but after 6weeks, my Graves' went backwards and I had to up my dose to 3 x 5mg per day. I instantly felt better and started gaining weight, sleeping better,etc. I am still attending pump and seniors class and will continue to until my levels resolve. Exercise won't help your Graves but it will keep you from going insane!
    • Posted

Hi mumbud! Thank you for sharing your experience. I totally know what you mean... I do feel at a loss if I can't exercise like it kinda affects me both mentally and physically.. I know it's inevitable to reduce strenuous exercises so we won't work the heart too much but the sudden change from a sporty person to a weak frail patient just sucks!

I hope the lighter spin classes are working for you! I'm just hoping some exercise could keep me fit and I won't gain too much weight due to the meds. Fingers crossed! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.