Withdrawals from Hypertension Medication

Posted , 8 users are following.

is it possible to have withdrawal symptoms from Amlodipine. I took them for 4 weeks and the side effects were so bad I stopped. GP knew I was doing this and put me on 24 hour monitor. However, I feel dreadful. Feel very low mood and weepy. Also no energy and weird feelings going through my body. Anyone else have anything like this. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

What did you learn from the 24 hr monitor and have you only been diagnosed for 4 weeks with hypertension or only been on Amlodipine for 4 weeks and  if so what were you on before? Just curious as to why you were put on a 24 hr monitor after coming off the drug unless it was to see what the effect on the BP was.  i assume the BP isn't too high or the GP would have changed the meds, not allowed you to come off them.

Sorry I can't answer the withdrawal symptoms as I've never taken amlodipine or similar, only ramipril which was changed to losartan after the cough developed. i have to say Losartan has no side effects with me and does do a good job without anything additions. Many on this site say the same although I don't think it works for all.

• Posted

Looks like I replied to myself. Doh please read if possible. 
  • Posted

I was put on Amloidine when taken to hospital with stroke symptoms. It was decided that I had Hemeplegic Migraine not stroke although I was kept in for scans. As BP was high they gave me Amlopidine. I already had the appointment for 24 hr monitor so doctor asked me to stop Amlopidine for 72 hrs before monitor was put on so that he could see what the true results were. The results were in the middle and as I am 65 years old I suppose that is about right. Anyway, the side effects from Amlopdine are so awful I won't take them any more. Have tried beta blockers and they are the same also Ramipril but cough bad and had anxiety as side effect as well.
  • Posted

What were your side effect when taking amlodipine.  I have bee taking them fir a year now and have been suffering with hearing problems since January  asked the doctor if it could be the tablets but he said no.   I feel sure it is
  • Posted

I also have weird feelings as well try to mentally ignore it but at times feel quite spaced out.  When I wake in the morning though I feel I have an addiction and need them at the same time. Perhaps you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms 
    • Posted

The main feeling was of extreme tension . Not sleeping well and the spaced out feeling and not functioning properly.
  • Posted

So sorry to hear that but can tell you I have had very similar experiences. Having tried several drugs I get those terrible feelings going through my body I call them the horrors. You feel like death is creeping g through you a d doctors don't take any notice. I really hope you get some ease soon.
    • Posted

Hello steve what several drugs have you taken up?i was having a tachychardia since last year but i was not seriously taking my medication.then after several months it attacks me again.thats the time that i went to a cardio doctor and he prescribed to take propanalol for 1 month to control it and i was also having a bp problem it is elevated. After taking it for few weeks i started to have a nervous problem and i feel shortness of breathing and chest pain.. but if i stopped my medication my bp goes up.. i am crying every night on how to resolve my problem coz in nowhere to run if i take and if i dont take the medication because it still me a horrying feeling.

• Posted

I have tried several drugs but they are all bell to take. On bisoprolol at present causing all the symptoms you mention, constant aching muscles, breathing problems etc. Like you can't stop because of bp. Currently paying private consultant £200 per 15 min visit. See no way out. Wish you better luck than me.
  • Posted

my last beta block i took, made me feel very sick when i went off, it lasted about 3 days and i was fine.  hang in there, your body just needs to balance its self again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.