Working with Bronchiectasis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

After being diagnosed with bronchiectasis about two years ago and being made redundant in December Im finding it hard to find work that I'm capable of doing. I get so tired and I'm reaching out to anyone in the same situation. I'm 60 and need to work, my bronchiectasis is manageable but as you all know it can be quite disabilitating at times... My previous job was full time and I was having more and more time off ill so opted for redundancy thinking I would find something more suitable but not so.. Is it classed as a disability? That's another question

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jules,

Sorry to hear about your struggle with work and your health.

I'm past retirement but earlier this year I applied for Attendance Allowance and received it. These benefits are hard to get but I had plenty of medical evidence and asked a professional to complete the form for me. She said you only have to answer 'no' to some questions and you'll be turned down!

Wishing you all the best

Janet

• Posted

Hi Janet

Yes I remember it well when my late mother tried to get that allowance, she was refused the first time it made her quite anxious, but with the help of my brother and sister in law she was able to get it.

I will carry on and see what's round the corner - positive thinking is the key and a bit of luck..

• Posted

I have many things wrong with me including bronchiectasis. I have recently started driving for Lyft and Uber . I don't know if these are available in your area but if so you should look into it . of course you have to have a car and a driver's license for it to work . The thing I like about it is that I can do as much or as little as I can handle. I have been feeling particularly bad the last few weeks and have been unable to drive . But I am looking forward to getting back to it soon .

• Posted

Hi amkoffee

Sorry to hear your not well, and yes I do drive but not well enough to do what your doing.

I can understand that it's the ideal job as you say you can do as little or as much as you are able to do.

I know that bronchiectasis isn't the worst illness to have but it sometimes holds you back, and hits you when you least expect it..

• Posted

i thought about doing that when i got my prius but around here everybody has "support" dogs & we're required to let them in. 95% of them are not trained & are merely pets owned by brats. All it would take is one large Golden Retriever that has all the dirt and pollens of 2 years without a bath, and my lungs would rebel. (Not to mention having sick strangers coughing & sniffing all over my car.)

Plus, of course, when the dogs do numbers in the car, driver is stuck with it. More power to you, Amkoffee, you're tougher than i am to take it on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.