Working with fibro

Posted , 6 users are following.

I work as a room leader in a nursery and have to have a critical care plan drawn up. I'm finding it really tough getting my employers to understand the full extent of this condition without stressing myself out of loosing the thread completely. Are there any really good information sites/leaflets specifically for employers of fibro staff. Thanks in advance

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm in the same boat I'm a classroom assistant and although my class teacher is really understanding and principal I feel the rest of staff don't and if I'm having a bad day with pain or mood no one seems to get it. Hate when the secretary compares her pain from sitting all to the likes of ourselves who are on our feet from 8am to 3pm. Makes my anxiety go through the roof which makes the pain worse. I'm finding the hardest bit is I'm 24 with no kids of my own and all I hear is "ohh only older woman have fibro" clearly no☹️

Sorry for the rant needed to vent 😔

Sending warm gentle hugs xx

• Posted

Wether we like it or not this fibro is really a disability...employers must treat it so...you might have to get them some info about it printed out also write a list with that explainig what you can and cant do...if thats not enough you may need to take a dissability support worker with you...hope it all goes well for you Debora. be blessed, have a lovely day...

This info works here in Oz dont know about other countries... 😚

• Posted

Hi Deborah

Oh no poor you, not getting much support from your employers.  There is alot of info online and you can also get information on this forum through the links.

It's so hard for others to understand the pains we have on a daily basis as Fibro can not be seen or felt by any other person than the person dealing with it daily.

Hope you will be able to supply your employers with all the info they need.

We are all here for you on this forum.  Take care and sending you gentle hugs wink xx

• Posted

It's hard on me becauase I don't want my employees to feel like I'm not pulling my weight but my current team is good.

I find the easiest way to introduce someone to it is to say

"I have fibromyalgia, this basically means that I have a disfunctional nervous system and suffer from chronic pain. I manage it the best I can but due to the frequent locking up in my fingers and forearms I can easily drop things without warning and that's why I need you guys to carry the fragile items, to make sure I don't break them. However, I can still do this, this and that normally."

The locking up in the fingers is clearly just an example of something that affects my specific job, you want to insert ONE thing that affects your job the most. It keeps them focused and allows the explanation to make sense. If you give a list of 45 things you don't do quite the same anymore they zone out. The one explanation you give will also allow you to see who is interested or has question and then you can direct them to a website or give them a print out. I'm sorry that I am not aware of a good one that encompasses everything as that is something I gave up on long ago and just haven't looked recently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.