Worried about abnormal liver enzyme level

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I wonder if anyone could help me. I recently had done some liver function tests, CBC, thyroid, CRP, bone profile and U&E blood tests. All came back ok apart from a mildly elevated ALP of 150. My GP has ordered an ALS test plus ALP isoenzymes test. He's told me not to worry and even gone as far to say that it could even just be a lab anomolie. But I'm so worried as my mum has PSC. He's t on told me that it's unlikely as my other liver tests and CRP levels were all normal. Any advice would be so appreciated as I'm worried sick. Thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Try not to worry, all my tests came back negative and stating ' results show liver as that of an alcoholic' my doctor told me to cut down on my alcohol. I could of slapped him, I've never had alcohol in my life! I'm still her, after 2 years, no more tests done, no concerns. I'm healthy smile

Results down mean the worst things, they can be below a normal range, but if other tests come back abnormal, I'm sure they would investigate.

I have a node in my lung, it doesn't mean it's cancer, if you see what I mean. Xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I've had the worst few days worrying over this. I suffer badly with anxiety and find it hard to not worry. I've got to have a repeat of my liver profile in 3 weeks so I'm hoping all will be ok.

• Posted

Hi Lisa, & it sounds like your doc is doing a proper diagnostic.  I dearly hope you get good news.  

The only other thing I can think of is adding a GGT lab to your next bloods.  A high GGT combined with high ALP is a marker for liver distress, but if GGT is normal, it may be something in your bones.  From the web: "If ggt is normal, & calcium and/or phosphorus measurements are abnormal, usually the ALP is coming from bone."

Hang in there, & hope you get some good news soon!  

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I googled about the liver/bone causes and I mentioned to my GP that I'm on a dairy free diet and 2 years post menopausal so I was surprised that my calcium levels were normal. He said that calcium is an odd thing and that if the body doesn't get what it needs from diet then it will draw calcium from the bones into the blood so that's a possible cause. He's not requested a GGT test just ALP isoenzymes.

• Posted

How old are you?ALP is very sensitive to age.I also had elevated ALP with normal AST,ALT,GGT but it turned out to be vit D deficiency.
    • Posted

Hello. I'm a 48 year old post menopausal female. I've not been checked for vitamin deficiency.

• Posted

Spoke with my Drs receptionist today. The AST test came back normal but she said GGT was borderline, I wasn't even aware this test had been done! My blood form said AST and ALP isoenzymes. I'm so confused!

• Posted

Hello George

Not sure if you are still following this but i wondered how long it took your ALP to get back to normal. Turns out that my vitamin D was low. Been on supplements for 4 months but my ALP is still high, albeit not as much.

• Posted

Hi I know this post was from a long time ago, but i was wondering if you found out why your alp was elevated? Ive just had liver function tests and my alp is elevated at 128.All the other normal.Im 56 and post menopause.My doctor is going to retest in 3 months.Im worried out my mind! Afraid i have been googling.Did yours go back down?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.