Worried about car parking at work

Posted , 4 users are following.

Gosh it's been a long time since I've been on here! I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with a bit of a problem.I have had PSA for about 6 years. It is reasonably controlled so I have been able to continue working part time. My employer is closing my current work location and relocating all staff to the city centre ( I am in UK) it is a job requirement that I am a driver with a car and they are to provide a car parking pass. "Great" I thought!! However, the car park for which we have a pass is 20 minutes walk from the office. I am worried that I will not be able to walk this distance up to four times a day in order to conduct home visits ( I am a housing officer.) I do not claim DLA or PIP & do not have a disabled pass. Can I reasonably expect my employer to provide me with parking closer to the office? Many thanks in advance, I would appreciate your opinions & advice

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would say it is reasonable to ask your employer to provide closer parking. You might be able to quote they they have a responsibility to provide reasonable conditions for both your safety and your health. I assume that they know you have the condition and therefore they have a duty of care to ensure that they do not cause the condition to be worse or effected 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Robert271163 , it is much appreciated. My employer does know about my arthritis but I am concerned that without a blue badge, they won't consider my request. I do think it's a reasonable request though, given that I have 27 years service and they are changing my working conditions. I have decided to speak to hr and occupational health & will post an update as it may be of interest to others on this forum. Cheers
  • Posted

Hi there

Just seeing how you got on. . I am HR Mgr with PsA and a blue badge. Here to help if you need any.

Take care

S

• Posted

Thanks for your response Snowycat. Well, I contacted the HR officer who was present at my consultation meeting,when I raised my concerns about my condition and car parking. She has said to leave it with her( that was Wednesday last week) it looks like they will be relocating us to the city centre in about 2 weeks so I hope to hear something this week. In your experience, would you say one would need a blue badge to get special parking arrangements? I know they have offered a convenient space behind the office to a woman who is pregnant . I'll keep you posted. Thanks again
  • Posted

Hi 

well it all sounds good and your employer is listening to you so hopefully it will all work out ok for you keep us informed smile

• Posted

Hi all, quick update as promised... My employer referred this to occupational health (external company) who called me to carry out a "telephone assessment." Basically they said they couldn't help with car parking even if I had a blue badge. She said that an employer does not have to supply car parking, even if you need your car for your job and youre disabled! ....I asked her where that would leave me if i used the car park 20mins away and had to go off sick when i couldnt manage?...she said that my employer could take me down "the capability procedure"... How nice!! She did however write a report for them & pointed out the Equality Act 2010. HR have called me for a meeting with them and a senior manager tomorrow, so I will see what they say. Saw Rheumy nurse today and she said there are rules about this sort of thing and they need to be careful..... I am capable of doing my job and managing my condition....they are changing my working conditions, not me. Will post again with a further update in case it is of interest to anyone else
    • Posted

Hi sorry I missed your first reply to me.

Yes well my thoughts are mainly that if they have provided reasonable adjustment to a pregnant lady then they have set a precident and should provide you with more suitable parking.  It would be a very fine line if they refused if you did have a blue badge.  Not that it matters greately but do you work in the public sector or private firm?

Capability route is interesting as this is no linked to yo ubeing able to carry out yoru job - you have positively advised them of your request for reasonable adjustment and if they dismissed you for capabality that would be an interest case (although not helpful to you unless you decided to make a claim against them).

How did you meeting go yesterday?

Yes, the point you made is the key, they are chagning the working conditions and in line wiht equality act they are treating you less favourably. Whether you have a blue badge or not, in theory you have a disability - just happen to manage it very wll, like me!  We get a big tick!

I would be very happy to help you further so feel free to send me a personal message and very much looking forward to hearing how the meeting went.

Take care

S x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.