Worried and frustrated for 2 1/2 year old son

Posted , 3 users are following.

Feel a little silly for posting this, 

My near 3 year old has been showing a few red flags for me.

Walking on tippy toes.

Spinning in circles.

Getting a haircut is a huge struggle as soon as the clippers go near him.

Picky eater.

Flicks his fingers.

Doesn’t look or respond when someone calls his name.

Has speech delay (he can’t say a single word)

I have spoke to health visitor she claims it is my fault why he is being this way, gp just asked me to keep a diary.

I feel like if I don’t get a clarification on this then I’m failing my son. 

He is a loving boy and constantly wants to be near me and can’t stand being away from me (almost like seperstion anxiety)  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Who told you it was your fault?? 

?It sounds like he's on the autism spectrum.  You really have to be on top of this because early intervention is very important.  Depending I guess where you live whether you have early intervention.  My son is 20 years old and autism wasn't an every day word so the red flags did nothing.  He had early intervention but they said he was just delayed.  He fell through the cracks.  It's your job being a mom to be on everyone's back.  

• Posted

Hi Jojo,

My Son is having exactly similar symptoms as above. I am treating him with speech & occupation therapy.

and i was not clear with your message. You son is 20 and recovered from Autism ? if he recovered at what age ? what are the treatments you did ?

• Posted

It was the health visitor she claims his behaviour is due to my parenting because I am anxious of the red flags. I did think he was on the spectrum also have tried to independently call a child psychologist with no avail everything has to go through the doctor. I am based in the uk. Completely agree thank you for your advice makes me want to fight on this even more so .
    • Posted

No he isn't recovered..  but remember, he fell through the cracks.  He was born 15 weeks premature so every person believed he was just delayed.  You have all these therapies that he didn't have.  Believe me, it does make a difference!  For years we all put a ton of work in him and got him to a point that he became the coolest kid.  He was my best friend and came with me everywhere I went.  He was the party animal and loved being out.  He overcame mountains with constant work.  

?We were in a car accident and was hit from behind.  Long story short, our lives were taken away.  About 3 years ago this happened and now he has severe PTSD and seizures. 

?You just stick with the therapies.  I treated him like he was a normal child and took him kicking and screaming to Great Adventure, water parks, everywhere.  I felt like if I give in, this will be my life.  My boyfriend taught me to thicken up my skin and not care what others think.  I took this child who was afraid of his own shadow into a kid who I was planning on taking to Germany before the car accident.  

?It is a long hard road, but the reward is great!  

• Posted

I was born a lover, not a fighter.  I've been fighting for everything he has for years.  You will learn how to be really tough, a warrior.  Get him whatever your government has to offer.  Therapy is so important.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.