Worsening pain with spinal stenosis

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis about a month ago. I have persistant lower back pain and severe numbness and pain presenting in my left leg. Over the last couple of weeks i have also had to have frequent toilet breaks, since i cant feel when i need to go until im desperate. The pain in my left leg is getting increasing more painful everyday, and even sitting and laying down isnt helping. Walking is the worse for it at the moment but its preventing my sleep. Even with co-codamol and diclofenac theres no difference whatsoever. I was wondering if anyone has had/ is having a similar experience to me. Some advice as to what i could do to relieve some of the symptoms would be swell. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear you're in so much pain

Have you tried lyrica or gabapentin?? I take this for the nerve pain/sciatica and find it some way good.

Sorry I don't have any other ideas , I'm still battling to find something to help with my own back pain it's an on going battle for us all!

Oh one last thing that may help obviously you'd need clearance from doc but yoga I find is good at times too but always listen to your body and know your limits??

• Posted

Hi there

Thank you for your reply. I haven't tried either of those medications, mostly because my doctors are being very slow with what they're prescribing me, and the anti inflammatories they've tried aren't helping at all.

I'm sorry to hear of your back pain too, its a shame that there's not many things that can help it! And myself being only 18 years old it sucks not being able to go out for long at all. Back pain is very debilitating.

I do watch yoga videos on YouTube but I might ask my Dr if she recommends curtains stances and moves smile

Thank you again, I hope you can find help for your back pain soon.

• Posted

Oh I no how you feel I had my first operation at 13 years old I'm now 28 and in worse condition!

Keep trying to do short walks even if it's just around the house, it will help I had my latest operation last year and have slowly built up my walking and at present I can walk comfortably 6km each day ????

Keep in touch let us know how you're doing xx

• Edited

I am diagnosed with spinal stenosis as well. I am having surgery in my c spine. I cannot walk, lose my balance and arm and leg pain is unbelievable. I did spinal decompression for my legs and it helped. Spinal decompression is expensive but it worked and helped relieve the pain in my legs. Stay away from gabapentin...it has terrible side effects. It is horrible to have spinal stenosis and if it is that bad than you need to get some relief. 10 months and have lost my life. I hope surgery will get some quality of life back and no pain. I wish you some relief and answers.

• Posted

Hello! I had fusion from L2 to S1 a year ago. I suffered great for about 8 hears with symptoms like severe pain, numbness, leg weakness, ....I had 2 instances where I wet myself with no feeling of urgency AT ALL. Out of the clear blue, it just happened. I contacted my doctor who had me come in immediately. I was screened for Cauda Equina. It is when the nerves that control bladder function are severely compressed and can permanently affect the bladder function among other things. Numbness in the saddle region is another symptom that can develop. I would suggest a call to your doctor at your earliest convenience! Better to be safe than sorry! I had the surgery done and have not had symptoms since. I hope this helps you, and I wish you all the best!
  • Posted

Hi refeneg

Did your Doctor make your diagnosis based on an MRI scan? This is important as there are different conditions that could be causing your symptoms. Assuming that this is the case, you may need to try different things as everyone is different.

I was diagnosed with severe spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis at age 45 (having suffered the previous 7 years in increasing pain with doctors not believing it could be stenosis at my age.) I tried everything during that period: alternative therapies, various  combinations of prescription drug, tens machine, core strengthening exercises, yoga, pilates, physio, injections, etc. ). The only thing that worked for me was taking a step up the pain relief pyramid to use a combination of Tramadol and paracetamol (always together), heat pads (for muscle weakness) and any exercise or treatment that stretched out my painfully over-compensating muscles. But I didn't have very bad leg pain - just awful pain in my lower back and hips. There are many medications for nerve pain so you may have to try a few (and in different doses) before your find the one that works for you. In the end my case was so severe that only decompression/fusion surgery made any difference. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Are you seeing s spine doctor? I had the same problem and I had to have surgery toI had a microdiscectomy/laminectomy. It took the pain off the leg by releasing the nerve off the bone

. It feels much better. I still have back pain but on and off. I take motrin for pain.

• Posted

Yes, I have Spinal stenosis and nerve damage in both of my legs! I fell in Dec which led me to have a CT scan in Jan, had a fracture to one of my discs and live in constant pain. I now work from home, because of this. I'm so tired of waking up and having to take a pill to shower!

I'm on a quick break nowhere, will keep in touch, Kat ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.