Would an antidepressant help?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I'm just wondering if anybody can shed light on what is happening with my dad. He was hospitalised 10 weeks ago with a severe water infection and, as usual, the infection led to delirium. Dad has been home now for 2 months and he's still having regular panic attacks where he feels like he's going to die and spells where he seems very depressed.This wasn't happening prior to dad being hospitalised so I can only assume that dad's dementia condition has deteriorated after the infection and resulting hospital stay. I'm just wondering if anybody knows of a dementia patient who has had a positive experience after having been prescribed an antidepressant. My mother is dad's main carer and she's in her 80s so all of this is very hard for her to cope with. Thank you in advance for any replies.

?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne,

Sorry to hear about your dad it is quite common for people who suffers from severe water infection to develop panic attacks.

Is your still dad taking any medication for his water infection? Yes I know of many dementia suffers who are on anti depressant tablets it has helped but sometimes it takes a little time for someone in your dad's conditions to get back to normal. Please speak to your dad's GP who will be able to recommend a safe anti depressant tablets and also speak to your dad's gp with regards to his care needs the gp will give your dad a letter with regards to his ill health and stating that your dad now needs care.

You mentioned that your mother is your dad's main carer and she is finding it difficult to cope with caring for your dad. Please get in touch with your local social service team who will be able to advice further and can visit and give your dad an assessment to see if he meets the criteria to put  a care package in place for him.

Your dad can have care at home which is more beneficial than going into a care home. If you need any help and advice with regards to care packages please do not hesitate to let me know. I deal with people who suffers from dementia and help to allocate them with the right service provider.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply Pitipiti and for the information provided. Dad has finished the medication for the water infection and his recent water sample was clear. Mum is going to make an appointment to see dad's GP next week so I will tell her to mention dad's care needs. I will contact social services also and enquire about the care package. 

Thanks again for all of your help, I am very grateful.

Anne 

• Posted

You're welcome Anne yes please do get in touch with social services if for any reason you have any query after speaking to the social services please do not hesitate to let me know. I would be happy to be of help.

I wish you, your dad, and your mum the best of luck and hope they get the help they need.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.