would cervical MRI pick up MS

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had a cervical spine MRI to look for cervical spondylosis. Would this same MRI pick up MS lesions or would that have to be a different one?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi, while it's possible that demyelinisation might be visible from this kind of MRI, it's also entirely possible that it wouldn't be. there's also the fact that, in MS, the distribution/positioning of lesions isn't regular, even if you have MS, you could have no lesions on your cervical spinal cord. they've never seen any in my brain MRI's, (3 in total, over 2 years), and yet i was diagnosed more than a decade ago. keep a good record of any symptoms, both start and any end dates, as a symptom finishing is just as useful a bit of info as starting.write down anything that you feel might be part of the problem, too. as this can be a useful thing to take to any appointments with medics.

sorry that i can't give any more decisive an answer, MS is a notoriously tricky condition to pin down, hopefully you'll just have something more simple than MS to deal with.

take care.

• Posted

I very much doubt it, as previously said, MS legions often show in head and upper part of your back. When you have a MRI for something then thats the only thing there looking for, so a differant person reads the scan results, they are only looking for what they suspect. see your GP about your symptoms that make you think you may have MS. Take care
    • Posted

the neuro damage, identified on my cervical/thoracic MRI, was first seen by an orthopaedic doctor. it's a somewhat unconventional route to the right speciality (neurosciences), but MS can throw up such a diversity of symptoms, that there are always going to be a multitude of things to consider.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.