Would it be okay to take low-dose aspirin every day?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Apparently it reduces the chance of having a heart attack/stroke, and maybe even cancer.

But I've also heard that there are certain risks associated with it. So my question is, should I, or should I not?

The main reason I'm asking this question is because I have the fear of having a heart attack or something similar. I used to have episodes of panic attacks, which stemmed from the worry of having an irregular heart beat.

(Also, I'm not sure if this belongs here, so mods, feel free to move this to its designated area if I'm wrong.)

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You've asked whether it would be OK to take low-dose aspirin every day because you've heard that it reduces the chance of a heart attack or stroke and even cancer. My wife was prescribed a daily dose of aspirin (70mg) and took it for some years. It seems that aspirin reduces the chance of blood clots. My wife is no longer prescribed aspirin. There was a fashion for prescribing aspirin. Notice that I say "prescribing". You are suggesting self-medication. I strongly advise you against taking aspirin unless it is prescribed by your doctor. If you are concerned about a possible heart attack and you are anxious then the best advice i can give you is to talk to your doctor. It really is unwise to try to self-diagnose possible health problems. Post-script. Just checked the medicine cabinet and found a packet of aspirin tablets with an expiry date of March 2006 so we all should tread carefully when it comes to medicines. PPS. I blame my wife. Talk to your doctor, please.
    • Posted

I already have, and he said it would be okay. 

But I'm still unsure. 

• Posted

Nothing is certain in this uncertain world. That is not comforting, but true. We have to make the best choice we can and move forward into the future bravely, head high, and if necessary whistle or humm a merry tune.

All of us on this formum are here because we are in deep trouble. So let us all help each other to sing as we go forward. I wish you all the best Setsuna. Get the best advice you can, then take the ball and run with it. 

• Posted

If you consulted with your physician, that's great. Just make sure he/she has recent blood work,  including  coagulation studies (PTT, PT, INR) and lipid profile.  These and your family history (hemorrhagic stroke or myocardial infarction/ heart attack) are important in determining whether you are a candidate for daily therapy. If you have any history of unusual bleeding or bruising or gastric ulcers, these would help in determining whether you're a good candidate as well. If you are fearful, discuss these with your doctor. 
  • Posted

I would say that if you aren't certain, don't take it.

Have you looked at Google Scholar?

There is a risk with everything you do/take.  Your doctor is obviously putting the onus onto you to decide.

Some years ago, my doctors put me on Atorvastatin.  Yes it brought my cholesterol levels down but odd things happened to me, that I couldn't explain, for example, I lost my balance sometimes when I bent over.  I stopped taking it when I developed severe leg pains.  I then realised that all the 'odd' feeling came from the statin.

I don't take anything I don't need to take.  You will have to do a lot more research in order to make your decision.

Good luck.

• Posted

If I was  unsure about taking the aspirin I'd check again with my doctor. It's not really about getting him/her to agree with you about taking the medicine. Your doctor is the expert, or should be, and it's up to him to prescribe you the medicine or not as the case may be. It's not for your doctor to be sitting on the fence!The reason for taking aspirin is for prophylaxis not to treat a current condition. What did he say about your irregular heartbeat because that can be treated. Final point, which is often missed, is that  the real experts on medicines are pharmacists. They are trained to identify possible drug interactions which would be relevant if you are taking other medicines.
  • Posted

I think you should focus your efforts on dietary & lifestyle habits to lower your risk factors rather than self medicating.. according to the world health organisation Ischaemic heart disease and stroke is the leading causes of death yet it's also highly preventable through making positive lifestyle choices, Many of us succumb to being physically inactive and sedentary making poor dietary and lifestyle choices with great consequences..

Primary reason living organisms should consume food is to sustain energy and health.. yet to many people's lifes are centred around media entertainment and processed food failing to regulate blood pressure, blood gluclose, and cholesterol levels becoming overweight and obese I've read your previous forum posts I'm twice your age and had many consultations with Generalist Physcians and Cardiologist both of which promptly dismiss and trivalize my symptoms and health concerns overlooking dietary &  lifestlye habits (which are blue print for disease) in favor of unknown family history & young age

Are you being treated in the UK under the national health service?

• Posted

You need to ask your doctor. Its hard on the stomach for a lot of people you bruise easier as well it thins the blood.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.