would like some input?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I would like some honest input. I was diagnosed with Bipolar I with psychosis. That was 15 years ago. I have been on numerous meds. Starting this past January I started a really bad manic episode that lasted 6 months. I'm on 3 different mood stabilizers, anti depressant, sleeping pill and anxiety meds. After that bad episode I finally decided I was no longer going to let this illness control me like I have all these years. So, I started doing yoga 3x a day. I switch my religion to Buddhism ( which has been awesome) and I meditate anywhere from 3 to 5 times a day. I feel so much better more relaxed and not so angry all the time. What do some of you do to control your illness on top of your meds? Thanks for the input

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear AJ, I know how you feel about trying to take control over your life after suffering so much.  Finally i can accept that I need to take meds for the rest of my natural but there is so much more that improves one's attitude and general wellbeing.  You have found yoga and meditation.  I also do meditation and meet once a week with a silent meditative group.  One of us does a reading at the start of the session and then we are quiet together for 3/4 hour.  More often than not I leave feeling inspired and uplifted.  On the same lines I am a member of a choir.  We tackle all sorts of music and give performances.  Singing has been proved to be beneficial for mental health.  Don't know if you fancy that.  Apart from the joy of singing I have also made new friends through the choir and meditation group. Having other people around me has mostly helped me to connect and not moulder away about my illness.  I think you have made some very positive steps and I wish you well, Clare
    • Posted

Clare,

How would I go about finding a meditation group in my area? I need to get out of the house. I leave once in the morning to take my son to school and leave again in the afternoon to pick him up. I'm alone all day. Hubby is at work all day. I have no social interaction at all.

• Posted

Dear AJ, One idea that comes to mind:  when you drop your son off at school do you have the opportunity to chat with the other mums and dads?  You will probably find someone who might know about different groups which might interest you.  Also, your local library will have a host of leaflets about adult education and activities.  Maybe you might consider vounteering in some capacity, say at a nursing home; or join the Women's Institute.  I am thinking about this myself at the moment.  It's not just for grannies.  They are very inclusive.  As I said before I find singing in a choir absolutely great  You don't have to know how to read music, just listen and repeat.  If you want to enquire about the particular meditation group I attend you can find it on [link removed].  I do empathise with how lonely life can feel.  Take little steps towards finding more to do and I'm sure all will be well.  I am intending to spend the winter evenings making a patchwork quilt for my grown-up son.  The blues and lonely feelings can be partially dispelled by doing something with one's hands - just look at the recent popularity of adult colouring-in books.  AJ, i don't know if I've been of any help, but I can only speak from my experience.  Finally, please don't be hard on yourself; things usually work out for the best. Clare  x

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums and it never worked. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I am a born again Christian and quite honestly I couldn't get through each day without God in it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.