Zapain painkillers

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on co codomal painkillers for quite a while and as i suffer with severe lower back pain they were a life saver.

The painkillers didnt stop the pain but helped reduce it, recently ordered my new prescription and was given Zapain which do not work at all.

The pain in my back is horrendous.

The pharmasist says its the brand name for co codomol and im taking exactly the same painkiller as before but why is it not killing the pain.

Any ideas

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Zapain is a brand name for cocodamol and are exactly the same thing. I'd say it's a psychological effect, whereby I think they're not going to work so they don't. If cocodamol worked, then zapain should also.

If however cocodamol wasn't as effective as you'd like, likely if you've built a tolerance. Then you need to discuss this with your gp.

Zapain are 100% cocodamol 30/100

• Posted

Hi dawn,

Sorry to hear you're in pain. Whilst it is true that they both contain the same active ingredients, brand name and generic drugs are manufactured differently. so whilst it may be the same drug generally speaking, their chemical composition differs along with the fillers they use in the drug itself. This chemical difference changes the way the body metabolizes the drug and how much of the drug is released into the system.

So yes, it is absolutely possible to have a generic brand work and find that the brand name doesn't work as effectively and visa versa. I've had the same experience previously with gabbapentin.

It's a pain in the backside especially seeing as you just purchased the prescription but you might just have to continue purchasing the generic brand if you find that more effective.

Take care

Nikki smile

• Posted

Thanks for your reply the painkillers really are not working.

I found a spare packet of solpodol in my bedroom draw and have been taking them i can definately tell the difference.

The pharmasist say they only stock zapain from now on so i will be taking my prescription to another chemist x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.