can a steroid injection make hip pain worse

Posted , 25 users are following.

I am going to need a replacement soon but my pain clinic dr gave me this injection in my hip 4/5 wks ago.

The next day okay but then OMG the pain I am getting is terrible. Never ever been this bad! my groin and thigh are excruciating also my down the front of my shin and ankle and a stabbing pain in my buttock.

I can hardly walk with the pain and don't know if it is a hip flare up or the injection. It just seems funny that all this bad pain started after the injection.

I did have some hip pain before but tolerated it and was waiting for it to get really bad before I consented to a replacement. never had pain like this it brings me to tears and O wondered if any had experienced this or is it normal for a bad hip. Thankyou.

2 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi saffy

yes it can but a mixture of both cause a flare up i havent had it but i do no of some one that as it was cos they kept having inflamation of the hip  it didn't work for them  so they ended up giving in and having the hip replacement but this is why you are getting the pain if i was you i would consent to getting your hip replaced is it worth holding the hip op back to be made worse than you are now.

Cortisone is a powerful anti inflammatory medication is not a pain relieving medication,

is best treated by icing the injected area till you get the hip done 

• Posted

Read through these topics carefully. I don't know but what you describe sounds an awful lot like people who have nerve damage. Did they inject you under guided ultrasounnd or running x-ray.

There is one topic in particular where several people had nerve damage do to the surgery, but the topic heading is not "Nerve Damage" it might simply be Sevear Pain after THR" or something.

• Posted

Hi Saffy,

I have had cortisone injections prior to hip surgery, these were done under ultrasound and on one occasion I suffered horrific pain.  The pain actually started within an hour of the injection and lasted a good 48 hours.

I hope your pain eases soon, take care.

• Posted

Hi Saffy

I realise that your post is over a year old but I am curious to find out how long your pain lasted for?

I have had 2 injections today......1 in to my bursa and 1 in to my hip and it is way worse than it was before! I just cant get comfortable at all and it really hurts to walk on it sad

• Posted

I received a cortisone shot 8 weeks ago and I still have excrusiating hip pain and my leg and foot tingle most of the time.  Any time my hip stretches, it flares up.  Did you ever get over your pain, and if so, how long did it take?  
    • Posted

I got this shot for back pain, I didn't even have hip pain before the hip injection.  UGH

• Posted

did you ever find out what caused the severe pain? I had a Cortizone injection in my SI joint and the outside of my hip on July 25 of this year, the pain was so bad the day of the injection and then it was good for about three days now I can't walk without a cane because the pain is so freaking bad. It's been five days of using a cane  and the pain started in my hip now it's in my drawer in my thigh my knee and my ankle. I don't know what to do. Thanks 

• Posted

A week ago I had an elbow injection and i have terrible in both hips which came on today. Is this normal? And i know know what hip pain is like, blinking awful..elbow is fine
    • Posted

I absolutely understand. Groin, thigh, stabbing pain in shin and sometimes in calf and knee.

I too started using a cane. Then my boss suggested Osteo Bi Flex.

I bought a bottle at Walmart. I have told everyone I know about it. It is amazing. After 4 days I started to question if I really need the total hip replacement.

It contains shellfish, so if you're allergic, you can't take it. But please give it a try. It has made a huge difference for me. You can get it online.

• Posted

i had it done thru ultrasound along with synvisk...didnt do a damn thing just hurt...that said post surgery i developed Trochanteric Bursitis syndrome the cortisone shot i had for the swelling helped me tart doing soem simple exercises
  • Posted

Hi i had an steroid injection on Monday and oh my god the pain had never ever been this bad the pain is way of the scale I was on certain Meds and they were working fine but at the moment as I write this I'm in bed with the pain I can't bare to stand in can barely do anything its so frustrating the dr said yesterday I shouldn't be known this much pain still it's even spreading to my buttocks.

I'm going back to drs if it carries on i can't stand it. I've got things planned and want to be able to walk around with no pain.

I do hope you get sorted.

• Posted

Hi,

I had a steriod injection 4 weeks ago in my left hip via ultra sound. I have bilateral cam impingment an mild arthrtis. It sounds the same as what happen to me. I think they call it a steriod flare up it happen the next day after the injection. It was very painful an i couldnt use my left leg at all. It did ease up within 3 days, however 4 weeks inand my left hip isnt the same at all.

groin pain is so painful an alot of clicking an catching still. So it seems it didnt work for me. Every time i try to do small exercises the pain starts up more. Need to see my consultant in 2 weeks

However some people do get a good result from it.

I hope your pain has calmed down all the best.

• Posted

Hi foxy,

I'm having the same issue. Did the pain ever go away?

• Posted

Hi nancy,

Sorry to hear your suffering also with your hip. No my hip has got worst since the steriod injection in feb 2017. Its really painful, alot more swelling an the popping an clicking seems to have increased.

I will be getting a 3rd opinion from another hip consultant so I am just waiting for an appointment. I also have a new physiotherapist which will be my 3rd time now. So will so how it goes. Hope you get better soon.

Foxy37

• Posted

did you ever find out what caused the severe pain? I had a Cortizone injection in my SI joint and the outside of my hip on July 25 of this year, the pain was so bad the day of the injection and then it was good for about three days now I can't walk without a cane because the pain is so freaking bad. It's been five days of using a cane  and the pain started in my hip now it's in my drawer in my thigh my knee and my ankle. I don't know what to do. Thanks 

• Posted

Hi lori65770,

I was just told that the injection can cause a flare up reaction that can last for a few days. That pain was the worst I had ever felt.

However it did calm down after a good four days. But the injection just didnt work for me at all. Im now experiencing a burning a dull ache deep in hip joint. I will no more what is going on in a few weeks when I recieve my 4th MRI of both hips.

Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.