can a steroid injection make hip pain worse

Posted , 25 users are following.

I am going to need a replacement soon but my pain clinic dr gave me this injection in my hip 4/5 wks ago.

The next day okay but then OMG the pain I am getting is terrible. Never ever been this bad! my groin and thigh are excruciating also my down the front of my shin and ankle and a stabbing pain in my buttock.

I can hardly walk with the pain and don't know if it is a hip flare up or the injection. It just seems funny that all this bad pain started after the injection.

I did have some hip pain before but tolerated it and was waiting for it to get really bad before I consented to a replacement. never had pain like this it brings me to tears and O wondered if any had experienced this or is it normal for a bad hip. Thankyou.

2 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I know this post is old, but I had FAI with a torn Labrum. 3 weeks ago I had my 3rd cortisone shot in my hip. It did flare and the pain was and still is unbearable. I have emailed my Dr numerous times and all he says is to keep walking. He doesn't want it to get stiff. My question is how long did your pain last? Did it ever go away before you had your surgery?

• Posted

I just realized thid question is srveral yrs old, but I had the exact same procedure with the exact same results. I hopr your hip surgery was s success. Mine is in 11 days and I can't wait to feel better again.

• Posted

did you ever find out what caused the severe pain? I had a Cortizone injection in my SI joint and the outside of my hip on July 25 of this year, the pain was so bad the day of the injection and then it was good for about three days now I can't walk without a cane because the pain is so freaking bad. It's been five days of using a cane  and the pain started in my hip now it's in my drawer in my thigh my knee and my ankle. I don't know what to do. Thanks 

• Posted

Hi lori65770,

Sorry to hear your in so much pain. That is exactely what happen to me. I had a follow up with my consultant an they assumed that if the injection didnt work then the pain is not coming from the hip. However I know my pain an i knew it was the hip. So they sent me for another MRI for the lower spine that came back clear.

As my hip is still causing me so much pain stiffness an forever locking. Im seeing a new consultant who wants me to do anotner MRI an then consider if he will insert the camera in an resurface the bone in hip which is causing the impingment an constant pain. However he says inserring a camera doing keyhole surgery can be very painful an make the arthritis worst. I do not want no more steriods they are too bloody painful an terrible after effects. I just want it done now.

Hope your hip feels better soon. Let me know how u get on.

• Posted

Osteo Bi Flex made a Huge difference for me. I never expected such good results because the pain was so unbearable. After only 4 days the pain was tolerable. After a week, no more cane and almost pain-free...
    • Posted

Thank you Tanker204, I will have a look for osteo Bi Flex. Glad to hear it has helped a bit with your pain.
    • Posted

Hi Foxy37,

I still have the pain from the injection. Since the injections in my hip and SI joint my lumbar has significantly deteriorated. I had mild pain and mild bulging discs in my lumbar, now it's moderate bulging, severe pain and my neurosurgeon said the MRI reveals a recent injury. I've not done anything but work from home. He said it shows a tear. This was 3 weeks after the first injections. Now I'm in an inflatable back brace and cane. Hopefully I'll get better. So much pain and discomfort, my quality of life has gone down. I hope everyone else on this thread is better.

Lori

• Posted

Hi, I too had a steroid injection into the pelvic bone on 31st July 2017 and like yourself have been in terrible pain since.

It seems my consultant/surgeon has hit the main nerve in my leg.

I was left struggling to weight bare and my knee buckles quite often.

I'm supposed to be having a hip replacement in 3/4 months but yes for the time being I'm worse now than before and the pain was bad before the injection.

I've been on the sick now 4 weeks and not much improvement, seeing my consultant on the 12th.

All the best to you Saffy.

• Posted

Lorraine88969,

I am so sorry you're experiencing this. I switched to a new doctor, in the same practice and he's trying to make things better but it's not working yet, I'm progressively getting worse. Please keep us posted on what your consultant says.

Lori

• Posted

Hope all goes well. It's tough when the shots don't work. I've had 4 myself in right hip. I feel your pain. Rest and ice and get a 3T MRI . It shows all the damage surrounding the area better then a regular MRI.  I saw things in my hip was so damaged I never knew. I need a total hip replacement, but I too don't have enough sick leave to cover recovery time. So I'm waiting it out. My doctor is cool and  spreads out my Cortizone shots every three months . So I get 3 to 4 shots a year. Good luck. 

• Posted

Lorraine, i hope by now your pain has resolved. i too got an injection, its been a month and Im worse now than ever. severe groin pain and hip pain. I have pain at the injection site. It was xray guided but I jumped on the table like he hit a nerve during the injection. After that nothing seemed right. Unfortunately my husband lost his insurance and I cant go back to the doctor. I was hoping eventually the pain goes away!

• Posted

Yep I had injection into Si and my hip but  then after it my pain was unbearable this is last year I'm using walking stick pain is still very very bad . I've been offered another one no thank you it's made my hip so much worse . I think they damaged a nerve it's just painfull so bad some days I cannot walk . Now my knee on same side is giving out so much pain can hardly stand having ultrasound on knee don't no if it's to do with hip ??????? So fed up life is hard having so much pain and injection made it worse . Take  care all of you in pain my heart  goes out to you.  any ideas I'd be grateful 

• Posted

Leggs active support, control top pantyhose.

The control top supports and hugs your hip, the spandex in the hose supports your knee. Also just enough compression to control swelling.

I can't walk without a cane when I'm not wearing them.

• Posted

That sounds exactly like what I'm going through. It radiates down to my foot. My knee is swollen and now I have a stress fracture in my left foot from overcompensating. You're right, life is hard with all of the pain. 

• Posted

What a great idea. I'm going to try it! I wonder how it will help my back?

• Posted

I've had 4 hip injections all go pretty smoothly, I rest and ice for at 3 days. I'm a letter carrier, so I'm on my feet all day, and jumping out of a truck a couple hundred times a day. The shots help so much. You gotta give them time. Also had a 3T  MRI that shows I too need a total hip replacement. But not being able to have enough recovery time I'm pushing it off for at least 2 more years.  So I understand your pain.   Just rest and ice as much as you can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.