can a steroid injection make hip pain worse

Posted , 25 users are following.

I am going to need a replacement soon but my pain clinic dr gave me this injection in my hip 4/5 wks ago.

The next day okay but then OMG the pain I am getting is terrible. Never ever been this bad! my groin and thigh are excruciating also my down the front of my shin and ankle and a stabbing pain in my buttock.

I can hardly walk with the pain and don't know if it is a hip flare up or the injection. It just seems funny that all this bad pain started after the injection.

I did have some hip pain before but tolerated it and was waiting for it to get really bad before I consented to a replacement. never had pain like this it brings me to tears and O wondered if any had experienced this or is it normal for a bad hip. Thankyou.

2 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just wanted to say....I had my hip replacement surgery mid June and the pain was immediately gone! I was up and getting physical therapy same day, had 6wks of physical therapy and since then I've been doing aquasize/swimming 4-5 times a week. My walking is normal again and I notice improvement all the time. My surgeon said full recovery is 6-12 months and I must say after 3months I am doing great. I sure hope you guys will be able to get relief soon. I was so pleased with my surgeon and the result...if my other hip gets very bad I will not hesitate to get that one done as well!

• Posted

That's great news! I'm looking forward to having my hip replacement surgery early next year. I'm only 43 but after 6 years of gradually decreasing activity, doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapy I was diagnosed with bilateral hip dysplasia and severe arthritis in the right hip. I had my first injection in May 2017 and had the worst pain to that point for several days after. Once relief kicked in, it only lasted for 2 weeks. During that time, I noticed crunching and popping and grinding for the first time.

I had my second injection yesterday afternoon and woke up at 2 am in horrific pain. Would love to rest at home but my work calendar is filled with meetings. I'm glad to see that at least that is a real thing, and I'm not alone in having these injections cause so much pain.

• Posted

Just wondering why ypu went for the 2nd injection after the first only lasted 2 wks? If you had had the surgery instead, you'd be in good shape by now.

• Posted

Honestly, I wasted time and procrastinated over having surgery as I had never met anyone my age (52), and thought I was too young, and only had experience of hip replacement in the emergency situation when people have fallen etc and fractured the neck of Femur. I had several injections, none of which ever really worked, and on occasion made the pain worse. I'm now day 12 post op replacement, and honestly, yes, its not been comfortable, and it looks like I may have some wound infection starting up, but that horrific, relentless pain, fatigue and bone on bone grinding is gone. I wish I had given in a year ago and seen sense

• Posted

Good luck with recovery, my hubby had first one last November, second one this June. He's so happy now, he can walk. I'm not ready yet , it take courage to do it, I'm not there yet. 

• Posted

I've had 4 shots to the hip, sometimes it's a flare. Ice / rest helps. But I need a replacement too avoiding it for as long as possible.

• Posted

For me, the pain was so excruciating, unlike any other pain I had experienced before. And for 3months I had no choice but to wait for my surgery. Amazingly, I still managed to drive (it was my right leg, too). By the time of my surgery, I just wanted that pain to stop!! And it was like a miracle. I woke up and that pain was gone. Listen, it IS major surgery, which in itself is daunting. But, if you have a surgeon you trust, by all means go for it. The healing afterwards is a process, but that goes quickly. It is truly worth it!
    • Posted

I am absolutely ready for surgery. It is my right hip. I'm still going to work everyday. I am a truck driver. The pain is ridiculous. Wearing support hose really helps. I've started sleeping in them. Anything that helps......

• Posted

I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a similar outcome!
  • Posted

I have recently had steroid injections into my hip has I have a bursia it's been 3days since and I am getting shooting pains in my groin that gets worst it travels down the inner of my leg to knee is this normal

• Posted

Unfortunately, it is normal to feel most of the hip pain in your groin, thigh, knee, and lower leg. If you google, you may convince yourself you've pulled a groin muscle. You have not. It is your hip. Mine progressed to feeling like my shin was being stabbed with an ice pick every step I took. When I woke after surgery, All of the pain was gone. To manage the pain and increase mobility before surgery, I tried braces, creams, you name it. The only thing that helped....alot...was wearing active support pantyhose. I highly recommend Leggs.

• Posted

Hi Helen yep your feeling like I was. I get those shots every 3 months, the first week or so hurts, but and  anti-inflammatories help. And do some  stretching exercises before you get out of bed in the morning and at night before you go to bed . It’s keeping me off the table for now. I trust my hubby’s surgeon but I’m willing to live with pain for now. I know my day is coming, but my hubby is still recovering from second total hip replacement, and I’m going to need his help, so it’s a waiting game with him. I can’t take care of him, and myself. So in limbo. All the best, but trust me your going to be ok, it’s normal what your going through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.