Skip to content
Ad

Hip Replacement

Also known as THR, Total Hip Replacement

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Pinned

THR - Useful Resources

Below are links to various resources for THR patients. If anyone has suggestions for other useful resources let me know but please do so by contacting me and not replying in this thread. Any links for inclusion will have to be from non-commercial reputable sites. Patient leaflet on Hip Replacement:...

Last reply
  • Hair salon

Hello, I have a question for the ladies - how soon after your THR were you able to go to the hair salon? I'm concerned about sitting in the chairs where you lie back to have your hair washed. Thank you, Betty 

Last reply
  • Two week anniversary

Today is my 2 week anniversary and I’m feeling good.  Each day I try just a little more and some days that ‘little’ is too much but I’m learning to listen to my body and take it easy. Not something I’m used to at all but my recovery is so important and I’m putting 💯 % effort in.  I...

Last reply
  • THR 8/28

Reading the posts, I must be the exception to the rule. I was walking pain free, without the use of a cane within 9 days. I only took pain meds for 11 days, and was back bowling in 3 weeks. I am not saying the the 1st week wasn't incredibly hard, but I wanted my life back so I was willing to do the...

Last reply
  • nerve damage after hip replacement -excrutiating

I had my left hip replaced 4 weeks ago -hip is now fine... When I woke up from surgery I had a terrible pain in my ankle which went away with painkillers. The next day I had no feeling below the knee on my left side. They left it another day in case the spinal block was still lingering but agreed it...

Last reply
  • Cycling??

Hello all, I would like to get your opinion regarding cycling... I'm 53 and have bilateral THR, had my last operation almost 9 weeks ago.  I'm doing quite well, can walk for half an hour, pain free most of the time... Due to my immobility and pain , before the operation I couldn't...

Last reply
  • SHOCKED - PART 2

I  really need your help with this new information ( please read SHOCKED if you haven't already) Ok well lets call the three surgeons in question A B and C. A is my original surgeon, the "top dog" , the most sought after at...

Last reply
  • RTHR June 2012 and revision March, 2017

March, 2012 I fell, fractured right hip. Had a hip pinning, then in June 2012 the hip pinning didn't work ( was in horrid pain for the 3 months) so I then had a RTHR. In 2013 I had bursitis and had the bursa sacs removed. 3 surgeries anterior approach in same incision. ​Still was in pain. March,...

Last reply
  • 12 Weeks since THR

Hi It’s now 12weeks since my posterior left hip replacement and I have been sleeping on my right side with a cushion between my knees since week 6- My Surgeon advised to use the precautions until the 3 month stage so I just wanted to check with others is it totally safe to stop using the cushion between...

Last reply
  • Pain at night

Hi my fellow hippies, I'm now 4 weeks * 3 days post op LTHR. My last surgeons appt at 3 weeks went really well. He said no more crutches, high back chairs, toilet raisers, shower chairs or pick up claws. So basically back to normal. Which at the time surprised the pants of me. So I've been...

Last reply
  • ANKLE SWELLING

Hello Hippies!  I had surgery to replace my left hip two weeks ago today.  I am so pleased to say I am walking without the walker (although too soon to ditch it, much as I'd like to) and am thrilled after 4 months of conservative treatment I am now able to walk again.  However, maybe...

Last reply
  • Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome

Hi all I've finally got a diagnosis for intermittent soreness around my new hip.  It's nice to be able to give it a name and have some idea how to treat it.   I have got Ibuprofen gel for the time being, advised using ice and maybe a hydrocortisone injection into the bursa if it doesn't...

Last reply
  • THR TOMORROW X DONT FEEL READY

I have suffered 5 years with my hip and after x rays Mri and ct scan plus 5 cortisone injections they decided hip replacement was my only option I've been feeling ok until now but due in at 7 tomorrow and I'm feeling sick with worry

Last reply
  • Cysts in hip socket

Hi all. I'm 53. Had hip dysplasia undiagnosed and joint hypermobility.  I've had my right hip replaced last May. Couldn't be happier.  My left hip is needing to be done as soon as I say I'm ready. It's not quite as bad painwise as the right was as the arthritis is not as...

Last reply
  • Sharp pains down side of thigh after TRHR 5 weeks ago

Hi all hippies 😁 I had my right hip done 5 weeks ago , first few weeks felt great now feel like I'm going backwards a bit as developed a sharp pinching stabbing pain down side of outside thigh , I'm still on 1 crutch as I don't seem to be able to put all my weight on it to walk unaided...

Last reply
  • 1 Day post-op

WOW!!!!!! 😁😁😁😁  That's all I can say. I LOVE my new hip. Posterior replacement yesterday. Dr said hip was so bad that he was sure I was gonna love my new hip really quick!  Went for first PT this morning and did really well. If all goes as is going now, home...

Last reply
  • Hip length discrepancy

I got hip 1 done in March with no problems at all  after this procedure,  and got hip 2 done 6 weeks ago and have many problems, limping, back ache and  limited movement. I see a Physio 3 times per week and today as I attended my 6 week check my surgeon said  I have a leg short by...

Last reply
  • Back to the drawing board

Morning hippies.   Well my dr visit yesterday wasn't as fruitful as I hoped.  The MRI of hip didn't shed any light on my nerve problem.  On a good note it did show hip hardware is good.  So this time my husband went with me and dr was impressed that he had done so much research...

Last reply
  • Bone fragment

my hip replacement was almost two years ago. The surgeon left a 6x6mm bone fragment that shredded my psi as muscle. I had surgery to remove the bone, repair the psoas and IT band. It's been 13 months since the last surgery. I'm still in pain and limp when I walk. Has anyone had any experience...

Last reply
  • MRI BURNS AND EF SIDE EFFECTS

i HAD A 25 MINUTE SCAN FOR THR INVESTIGATION. In the last 3 minutes I began to burn up. After I was dizzy and fwelt sick and my face hands legs etc were red and it felt like sunburn. I had to go in a cold bath at night to cool off for months. Other symptoms occurred. Dry mouth dry eyes. These are still...

Last reply
  • One year post bilateral hip replacements -45 years

Hi there, I just wanted to offer a bit of inspiration to those who are on the start of their hippie journey. I had bilateral hip replacements a year ago, I'm 45 so a young un as the consultants would say.. Anyway, I've just done a HIIT session and managed to squat, widen my hips, brinv my knees...

Last reply
  • Post hip replacement questions

Hello this question is actually as me as a caregiver for my boyfriend who just had a total hip replacement with six weeks limited weight-bearing due to severity of his condition 17 days ago he had this replacement yesterday when I went to the store I came back to find out he walked over 100 ft full weight-bearing...

Last reply
  • SHOCKED

I am in East Anglia and my GP wrote to my surgeon  three weeks ago to request an expedite for my THR as I've been in so much pain for nearly a year and the pain relief isn't working at all in the night. I'm 75, I've had children so I do know what acute pain feels like. At least you...

Last reply
  • Back pain after my hip operation ,when I run.

Hi guys,I have had both my hips replaced in the past 18 months,my right one is perfect ,but the one I gad done in May ,I get back pain in the left side of my back when I run on the treadmill at the gym .could this be a nerve problem or is my back getting use to my new hip.i didn't have this problem...

Last reply
  • 3 years post Surgery - STILL thigh muscle pain with ANY activity

I'm wondering if anyone was in a similar situation and can provide some insight. About 3 years ago I had a total hip replacement. The first attempt was botched and they had to re-do the replacement about 6 weeks later. Because of the trauma of the two surgeries I was ordered on bed rest and was told...

Last reply
  • Knee pain following THR

Hi All, not been on here for a while. I asked lots of pre op questions which you were all wonderful in answering and helped to make the decision to go ahead.  Well I'm now 10 days post op and after a shaky start in hospital (reactions to anaesthetic and strong pain meds) I've now been home...

Last reply
  • Hip replacements and martial arts

Hi i had double anterior hip replacements 4 years and in the last 12 months gone back to taekwondo and mauy thai boxing . I cant kick as well as before , but im kicking thai pads with 70 % power . I do hold back . Is there anyone else out there training like myself . Im 47 years old

Last reply
  • So excited!!

Is it weird to be excited about getting a new hip???  Had my last appt before surgery last Friday. All is good. Got some last minute questions out of the way and am looking forward to my new hip. I think regardless of what pain I may have after surgery, it cannot be any worse than I feel now. This...

Last reply
  • Driving after hip replacement

Hi Looking for a little advice...before surgery i didnt think about asking asking as i thought i would have had a 6 week check up...well i have a 11 week check up was 9 weeks then got cancelled..so i thought i would see someone to tell me i was fit for driving...did call hospital..waited so long on...

Last reply
  • Big bone fragment left in hip???

Ok I need advice. My mom is 74, she lives with my husband and I, day after Christmas she fell and broke her hip, had surgery, after surgery they set her up in a nursing home/rehab place in small town we live in for 20 days which turned into 60 days because they said she still needed physical therapy......

Last reply
  • Failed hip arthroscopy, would hip replacement help?

I am 43 years old and have had 3 hip arthroscopies on my right hip. The first one was to repair a labral tear and remove bone to treat pincer impingement, the second was to remove scar tissue, and the third to remove scar tissue and release the iliopsoas tendon.  I'm in significant pain with...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.