Skip to content

Hip Replacement

Also known as THR, Total Hip Replacement

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Pinned

THR - Useful Resources

Below are links to various resources for THR patients. If anyone has suggestions for other useful resources let me know but please do so by contacting me and not replying in this thread. Any links for inclusion will have to be from non-commercial reputable sites. Patient leaflet on Hip Replacement:...

Last reply
  • Tingling and numbness THR

Hi, I am 4 weeks left hip posterior THR. I still have tingling and partial numbness on my operated side  on leg and foot.  Without this, I would be walking pretty well.  Is this FOOT DROP.  Would this go away? Anybody has this experience?

Last reply
  • Thigh pain after hip replacement

I'm wanting some feedback on high thigh pain after a hip replacement.  I am 68 years old (female) and am 10 weeks post op cement hip replacement due to severe arthritis.  I have been going on very well and thought all my troubles were over, but have now developed pain which seems to be...

Last reply
  • SLEEPING POSITION

Did anyone start to sleep on their side earlier than the 6 week mark? I'm nearly 4 weeks post op and progressing well and would love to try sleeping on my side but scared to do it. Thank you

Last reply
  • INSPIRATION

I am 3 weeks post op thr and progressing reasonably well with just the usual aches/difficulty sleeping etc like everyone else. Yesterday quite by chance I met an 80 year old lady who is 6 weeks post thr and she is amazing. Despite losing her husband a year ago her determination of spirit is incredible....

Last reply
  • Hematoma after Hip Replacement

Hello. I'm 14 days post-op TRHR. Has anyone experienced hematoma? Mine feels like a large peeled boiled egg next to the surgical site (a big lump). My surgeon said this is normal. He drained it a week ago and said there will still be swelling and to keep ice on it. Just wondering if anyone else...

Posted
  • How long are people waiting for THR surgery?

I waited 48 weeks to see a consultant re a THR. Saw surgeon 4 weeks ago and was told it will be done in 12 weeks. To you think this is realistic? The waiting is terrible, I feel as if my life is on hold. I’m in the Lothian health board area. Consult was at Edinburgh royal infirmary but I have agreed...

Last reply
  • Pain when sitting

Hi everyone. I'm 13 days post op and was wondering if anyone else has had pain in their side/hip and down their leg. I had the same issues before surgery and was hoping it would be resolved. And maybe it will be, with time.

Last reply
  • My hip replacement rebcovery

I am 9 weeks post op and have had a terrible time.Firstly after 2 weeks I took a chest infection which went into my left lung and during this I had no signs of any infection ie.cough or phlegm and still to this day have terrible pain in my lung area especially at night when I wake up the pain is terribly.I...

Last reply
  • Mid-thigh pain after hip replacement

I am 7 months post-cementless hip replacement and have recurring mid-thigh pain. I am at a loss on how to deal with this. I've read to cut back on exercise when it's bad and have also read to keep active and walk to help set the stem better. I have noticed that laying on my sofa too much is causing...

Last reply
  • Torn hip tendon

Hi my name is Paula and it is help for my mother that i need. She was in enormous amount of pain about 2 years ago and was given steroid injections. These initially worked until she tripped up a step. She was told that she could not have an operation (age 79, but mentally a 65 year old). Eventually she...

Last reply
  • BMI Concern

Hello , new to the discussion group. i have done my research on weight and joint replacement. I am at a 44 bmi and in desperate need of a THR. Been denied surgery in Aug of last year because of this. Is there any one in the group who has had a THR with an equivalent or higher BMI. In alot of pain ]....

Last reply
  • Stiffness when I sleep flat on my back

Hi everyone.. I'm about 9 weeks post op....when I fall asleep flat out on my back and legs out straight I wake up with an achy feeling lthr side..when I go to bend it it hurts...I'm fine if I have a pillow under neither but sometimes I roll over in my sleep..does anyone else experience this......

Last reply
  • Anyone else end up with spider veins on surgery side leg??

I am 6 week post op and am noticing spider veins about 3-4 " under my scar.  There is a horizontal band about 5 inches wide across upper thigh that has spider veins that I have never experienced before.   Not sure how long they have been there as I am just now noticing them! ...

Last reply
  • Bad hip Replacement - Hurts to sit

I had an anterior right total hip replacement 9 months ago now and its been nothing but problems!! I just found out I have adductor tendonitis which accounts for a lot of groin pain but also it hurts when I sit. I can feel the new joint when i sit down and i can literally feel it through my butt cheek....

Last reply
  • Sleep or not sleep

Goodmorning I'm Andy 1.20 am Not sleeping again any help would be much appreciated I'm 43 years 12 days since THR on my right side Any tips on sleeping my back aches all the time and I just can't get comfortable Need some sleep feeling like a zombie 😮 Ive been doing all my exercises...

Last reply
  • New here - 7 weeks post hip replacement surgery

I've been lurking for a while (sorry) but I must say thank you for all of the reads. Sometimes at my most worriesome moments I would read here and feel a little better knowing I wasn't alone. Anyway - I'm 40 years old and after about 7 years of pain which always seemed to be localized in...

Last reply
  • Tingling and numbness in foot after total hip replacement

Hi, I had a thp 5 weeks ago. Immediately as I was recovering from after surgery I noticed numbness and a pins and needles feeling in my foot. It has not gone away abd I mentioned it agsin to my surgeon during a follow-up yesterday. I called him a few days after the surgery as well, at which time he said...

Last reply
  • Bursitis

I am 6 months post op of Left THR. I now have Bursitis in both hips. I have 1 leg 8 mm longer now and trying to find a lift that works. Anyone else with the same issue!!! I am now booked for cortisone shots next week.

Last reply
  • TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT PAIN

Having pain in my thigh. I had a posterior THR january 9th of 2018. Everything was going well until the last month. I have this weird pain which is more annoying then pain. It feels like restless leg syndrome kind of pain. I went back to work 2 months ago and now I have this pain. I dont know what has...

Last reply
  • Sitting on the Floor

Has anyone tried to or sat on the floor? On wednesday it will be week ten since my thr, up to now I can only comb my dog on top and sides, I would like to get on the floor and give her a good comb out. I feel it would be easy to slide on to the floor from the sofa but getting up will be the problem,...

Last reply
  • Dynamic hip screw loosen

6 weeks after dynamic hip screw for neck femur fracture new x ray done and seen by the Doctor shows healing and instructed me partial weight bearing without instruction of how many percentage then my friend physiotherapist friend instructed me every week increase gradually to 75 percent but i dont know...

Last reply
  • Failed hip arthroscopy, would hip replacement help?

I am 43 years old and have had 3 hip arthroscopies on my right hip. The first one was to repair a labral tear and remove bone to treat pincer impingement, the second was to remove scar tissue, and the third to remove scar tissue and release the iliopsoas tendon.  I'm in significant pain with...

Last reply
  • GROIN PAIN AFTER Total Hip Replacement- Hip Tightness after THR

IMHO this happens far more often than is recognized by the doctors and physical therapists. If you have groin pain after a THR investigate if it is your psoas muscle and Iliopsoas Tendinitis. Your physical therapist should be able to easily find your psoas muscle and push down and you will recognize...

Last reply
  • Cane

its been a month since thr, but I feel like I have to have my cane with me all the time... almost like addicted to it.  I tried walking without it a little, but it feels strange like I need it. Does anyone else feel this way, I am limping a little without it, but I am feeling dependent on it, I’m...

Last reply
  • Psoas Impingement after THR -research

Hi there folks I’m trying to gather some information regarding psoas impingement after hip replacements. I would be very grateful if anyone has suffered this problem could post their story. Could they tell me when the symptoms started and how long did it take to diagnose. Also how was it fixed and did...

Last reply
  • Three weeks post full hip replacement

I am just over three weeks post op and had the super path full hip replacement. I felt like I was progressing wonderfully well as managed to ditch the crutches around the house after two weeks but the last few days I can’t weight bare any more on my operated leg and limp, rocking the pelvis, very badly....

Last reply
  • DVT SUPPRESSION SOCKS

I am just over two weeks post op thr and have fortunately good mobility and really want to stop wearing suppression socks. I'm still taking blood thinning medication and regularly doing physio exercises. Do you think it would be ok to discard them now? They are so uncomfortable and hot and I feel...

Last reply
  • Seven weeks post THR

I had a right THR 7 weeks ago. I am still having groin pain and extreme pain and tightness. Hurts all the time. The surgeon has ordered an EMG and blood work. I assume the blood work is to check for infection. Has anyone else had these symptoms 

Last reply
  • Pain after complex THR

I’m 55 years old and had a complex RTHR five weeks ago. Had the left done 4 years ago and it’s great. I had hip dysplasia on both sides, so my anatomy is a bit dodgyand I’ve had 19 surgeries to my hips since I was born. My leg lengths are the same as pre-op. Operated leg about 3/4” longer than the other....

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.