Skip to content

Hip Replacement

Also known as THR, Total Hip Replacement

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Pinned

THR - Useful Resources

Below are links to various resources for THR patients. If anyone has suggestions for other useful resources let me know but please do so by contacting me and not replying in this thread. Any links for inclusion will have to be from non-commercial reputable sites. Patient leaflet on Hip Replacement:...

Last reply
  • Finally an apology

I have today, finally, received an apology and acceptance of liability from the NHS for the misplacement of the acetabular ceramic component of my THR.  It has only taken two and a half years ! Next, we have to agree a suitable amount of compensation ........ not holding my breath, but really...

Last reply
  • Why heel pain

I have had THR my left on march 27 now I'm having intense pain in heel an foot. Anyone had this problem your forum has helped me so much I decided to join

Posted
  • SuperPath total hip replacement- continued pain

Hi, I am 47 and have hip dysplasia in both hips. After two scopes on each side to reshape bone and repair what was left of cartilage/labrum, the left hip is doing ok for the last 3 years but will eventually need replacing. The right hip never got better so I opted for total replacement. This was a year...

Last reply
  • Best Way To Sleep After THR

I have been told I must sleep on my back for the next 3 months after THR, I knew this would be a problem for me as I never sleep in my back. I am sitting up at the moment with pillows packed around me. I am wondering how other people cope with this precaution.

Last reply
  • Pain vs Stiffness

Had LTHR 18 months ago.   Great recovery immediately after. For some time now I’ve been dealing with episodes of pain and/or stiffness.   The stiffness I can usually walk off. Some days my thigh (like the muscle area in the front) hurts really bad. Sometimes the pain seems like it’s in the...

Last reply
  • Post Anterior THR Surgery depression/grief

Hi everyone, I have been lurking on this group recently but wanted to see if other's could share their experience (possible solutions?) with post-surgery grief/anxiety/depression. I am two days shy of being 5 week post anterior hip replacement.  Physically I'm doing great now apparently...

Last reply
  • Waiting time

After ending up in A&E in severe pain and unable to walk, I was told I needed a hip replacement but needed to be referred by my GP.  I saw my GP at the end of October and he referred me .  I got to see a consultant at the end of January only to be told the waiting list is a year. ...

Last reply
  • Warning for anyone with spacer

After 8 months I just had the proveledge of getting another spacer installed and a wash out.  I was scheduled to get the revision next week now I'm back at day 1. I came up with a yeast infection called candida. I can't think of anything I did wrong to cause this. I read that the number...

Last reply
  • Blog- hip replacement anterior 3 weeks ago March 2017

Hi everyone- I am new to the forum here, but I have been keeping a blog, for myself since my surgery on March 2nd. This helps me track my progress, and in turn, this helps me with my mental status.  Hip replacement  total left, anterior approach March 2nd. Day of surgery.  Morning surgery,...

Last reply
  • Upcoming left THR

I'm new to this site, found only by accident but so glad I did find it! I'm going to need a left THR in the coming months (was hoping years but think that is unlikely), or whenever the pain gets to a point that I decide to have the surgery. I'm struggling most with when to have the surgery....

Last reply
  • Left & Right THR swelling in thighs after 7 months & 4months PO

I had anterior right THR 9/13/17 & left 12/6/17. I was doing great until 4 weeks ago used a new electric razor which caused cellulitis on both legs from knees down!!!Put on antibiotics for 7 days which I just finished. I started developing swelling in upper thighs with tender to touch with small...

Last reply
  • 6 days post THR left

ok I did it! Had a left hip done, lateral ant approach. Doing stairs with two crutches, very slowly . Getting lots of pain down thigh. Aching not sure if this is normal. Pain in scar area expected, using paracetamol 4hrly for pain. Codiene at night. Sleeping is tricky, and waking x4 cause of pain and...

Last reply
  • Pain in Ribs Following Incorrect Height of Crutch

I am 8 weeks post-operative and was doing really well, until recently suffering from a pulled muscle/bruised rib on my non-operative side. I was told to only use one crutch two weeks after my right hip replacement. Four weeks later I started to get really sore ribs. I told my physio who looked at the...

Last reply
  • Update 9th months on

Hi fellow hippies.  Been a while since I was last on this site.  I had RHR with ceramic on ceramic, cements, posterior in July 2017.  My recovery went fairly well until around month 5 when I started to have awful pain in my thigh and at times could not even put my weight on that leg due...

Last reply
  • Thigh pain after THR

2 yr ago had a left THR. At the end of 1 year hip seemed to be fine but had an excruciating pain in the upper part of my left leg. After x-ray Doctors said everything fine, no reason for pain. After some time pain did go away but has now returned with a vengeance. I have back issues since THR which...

Last reply
  • 12 week out complex lthr

So 12 weeks out. Overall doing well not using cane anymore. Still need more strength but that is slowly improving.  They added 2 cm length to hip and now struggling with tightness and Back pain. Almost all my pain since surgery is related to the muscles being stretched.  Seems like every week...

Last reply
  • New reason for pain

Yesterday was 19 weeks since posterior LHP.  I STILL could not sleep on my side, so went back to my surgeon last Friday.  Xray shows the new hip is doing beautifully, bone growing into it as it should.  But...now he tells me I have trochanteric bursitis which is causing the pain on the...

Last reply
  • huge arguements

After my first hip replacement I came here for the most amazing support. I have somehow limped on for several months in dire need of a second hip replacement, and I am in agony. I am 43 years old with two children and a husband that works in London. I have no family. I do have wonderful friends. ...

Last reply
  • 8 weeks post RTHR, back to work

Hi all, I'm new here but have read a lot! I appreciate all of the information and definitely dont feel alone anymore! I started back to work today...half time for two weeks. I have a desk job. After sitting today for 4 hours (I got up several times to walk), I'm having some pretty deep pain right...

Last reply
  • Sciatic nerve damage

i too have had nerve damage directly following THR. I am due an exploratory op in 2 weeks on my right bottom cheek to find out if nerve has been compressed or overstretched & hopefully put right but told no gntees.  I have to say I was devastated to see my right foot was pointing down &...

Last reply
  • Sleeping after bilateral hip replacement

I am almost 3 weeks post op and feeling fantastic apart from sleeping! This sleeping on your back nonsense is so difficult has anyone tried sleeping on their side or am I being very impatient? Already I have noticed my ankles creeping to cross over and even that is more comfortable but trying to be...

Last reply
  • Exercise as a lifestyleges

I have done many things in my life that eventually became part of my daily routine.  Probably the mos advantageous as well as disadvantageous was exercise.  When I was a runner, I tried to run marathons.  Afterward, as a cyclist, I tried to race as well as ride daily in the Rockies and...

Last reply
  • Any one used this surgeon??

Has anyone had experience with a surgeon in Wichita, Kansas called Dr Robert Cusick? He is who I'm going to use but can't seem to find much feedback !! Thank you !!

Last reply
  • Young man with hip replacement. How far can I push my body?

Hello everyone. I am 27 year old man and I received a total hip replacement around 5 years ago. I'm a fairly physical and active person but I've completely avoided anything that puts a strain on hip as I want it to last as long as possible. Recently I've wanted to try jogging. I done yoga...

Last reply
  • Groin pain 5 weeks after hip replacement

Can I have some advice please? I had a rthr 5 weeks ago and for the last week I have had terrible groin pain in that hip on the pubic side - it's enough to keep me awake at night. Any ideas what this maybe. I am feeling. My recoveryis slow anyway. thank you.

Last reply
  • Groin pain

Hi hope someone can help. I'm four weeks post op and in the last few days have developed groin pain - esp when doing some exercises would anyone know if this is part of the healing process at this stage? I feel I'm doing well other than this! Thanks

Last reply
  • Hip replacement, 1yr on and noises?

I had a total hip replacement around 15 months ago, I bent down the other day and my new hip made a crunching sound, I shrugged it off and thought it just maybe something that happens after a replacement but just today it happened again but there was a slight pain down the front of my thigh and buttock....

Last reply
  • Still on pain ???

Hi, it is 2 years since my replacement hip op and I am still experiencing pain - on tramadol to get some relief and still using a walking stick ???? Are these two things normal or should I go back to see my GP? Help!!!!!! Regards

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.