Skip to content
Ad

Hip Replacement

Also known as THR, Total Hip Replacement

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Pinned

THR - Useful Resources

Below are links to various resources for THR patients. If anyone has suggestions for other useful resources let me know but please do so by contacting me and not replying in this thread. Any links for inclusion will have to be from non-commercial reputable sites. Patient leaflet on Hip Replacement:...

Last reply
  • Clicking?

Thank you for all your responses from my first question🙏🏼🙏🏼 Want to ask if clicking in the new hip is normal? I’m on day 5 of my post op and when I do certain movements I hear and feel a clicking movement in my new hip? I did tell the surgeon the next day once I started...

Last reply
  • Healing too fast?

I had a THR on the right (posterior) on Nov 9th. I am currently functioning at about 90%, just being cautious with the precautions. If I stretch the leg too much I get a bad cramp in the gluteus but other than that I have no issues walking, sitting, standing. I use a walker when out and about but not...

Last reply
  • Knee issues after hip replacement

I had a total left hip replacement in September last year. I have been struggling with pains around my right knee and quad over the last few weeks and there are many days where I battle to walk and be pain free. As anyone experienced this before? Am I over compensating on my good leg? Dan

Last reply
  • If everything went great

How long would it take if everything went as it should and all surgery was no problems for someone to go back to work with light duty’s desk work . Anybody had a smooth time please I’m worried about losing wages when I’ve a Morgage to pay .  Kind regards  Liz 

Last reply
  • Hip Operation -SuperPath Method?

Hi was wandering if anybody has had a hip operation using the superPath method. Need all the advise possiable due to have one shortley. I am extermley worried about have a hip operation. Any feed will be great.  

Last reply
  • Feeling relieved

Just 2 weeks after complete left hip replacement finding this website has made me realize I am not alone. Frustrated at slowness and tiredness I am spending half the day in bed as it is the only place I can get comfortable first trip out tomorrow to have dressing changed and then physio next week. Thank...

Last reply
  • Non-operated hip pain

i had THR on my right hip Sept. 18 and last week I noticed my left hip is hurting. I started outpatient PT last week. I don't know if that would cause it but it feels suspiciously like my right hip when it started to go. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last reply
  • Knee

I’m sure this has been discussed before but what is up with me not being able to straighten my knee? I barely noticed this with my first THR. But this time my thigh/knee is what bothers me.  I try to straighten my knee all the way and it won’t and once I let go a little bit the knee goes directly...

Last reply
  • Posterior Approach

People keep telling me the PA is the old way and it takes a lot longer to recover due to the fact the large muscles are cut. I’m told the AA is far better for a quicker recovery as the muscles are simply held back. I’m due the PA as my surgeon says he much prefers this way to get easier access to the...

Last reply
  • Back to work

I'm 8 weeks and 3 days post LTHR (posterior), and I'm off to work tomorrow. Mixed feelings as, although I will be phased I still feel it is going to be hard. I have not done many of the things I intended, have not read all my new books and spent lots of time on my own after the initial post op...

Last reply
  • Hygiene

Can I get some advice/tips regarding washing please? I've had a hip replacement on Friday, I came out of hospital Sunday and  cleaning myself is a massive task, has anyone got any advice apart from a sponge wash...

Last reply
  • A bit of inspiration

Hi everyone and especially the people who just had surgery.  I'm exactly 4 weeks today from TLHR and for the first time last night I was able to sleep on the operated side with a pillow between my legs.  I've been sleeping on the good side with the pillow but wondered when I would ever...

Last reply
  • Burning sensation in my thighs

hi I'm 8 days post op.....I just wanted to know has anyone else experienced a burning hot tightening in both thighs especially if maybe I've done a bit too much...I had this pre op and was on ibuprofen and presumed it was inflammation...I thought the op helped with the inflammation...the hip...

Last reply
  • First day home

Hi everyone - I just got out of hospital yesterday after a right thr on friday.  Feeling very sore and stuff obviously but reading all the posts here has normalised everything I/'m feeling.   So thank you.  Does everyone feel a bit spaced out on the morphine meds?  I caught...

Last reply
  • Broken implant stem...

I just found out that my implant stem has broken in half. After a week of pain i took myself to the ER....only to have the shock of my life. I did not fall or have ant type of impact to my leg. My THR is only 4.5 years old. Has anyone heard of the happening. Im heart broken and terrified...

Last reply
  • Hi All. 10 weeks po thr

Well I think this is kind of wierd but I just don't know what to do to feel better. I have been doing pretty good. Stopped all pain meds about 3 weeks ago. Which is amazing since I have taken pain meds for 20 years. I thought I would feel great when I could stop taking them. But as expected...

Last reply
  • 2 weeks since thr. Update

It's 2 weeks today since my left posterior thr with ceramic on plastic prosthesis so just thought I would give an update of how I'm doing as I so avidly followed everyone on here while waiting for my op.  I had a 4 month plus wait from first seeing the consultant to having the op. In that...

Last reply
  • going outside immediately after op

Assuming my op takes place next week I'm intending going out on my scooter the day after I come home. I might be believing in the impossible but what would be the biggest problem when you're not having to do any work yourself? I'd be grateful for your own experiences please as although I'm...

Last reply
  • Muscle hardness what helps

Im new to this group I’ve recently had posterior hip replacement (left). I’m 28 over all healthy besides my congenital hip dyslpasia. My muscles on my thigh are so hard and are very painful to strech. My leg is numb from the top all the way to my ankle on the front parts of my leg but the muscle hardness...

Last reply
  • Hip replacement surgery

I am 3 weeks post surgery and I am having cramps in my thigh and knee when sleeping. I have been struggling with lifting my leg as it feels heavy (surgery side) Is this normal? I am doing some exercises when I can. Its driving me nuts. I am still using my crutches as I find it hard to weight bear without...

Last reply
  • Hip replacement surgery

I am 3 weeks post surgery and I am having cramps in my thigh and knee when sleeping. I have been struggling with lifting my leg as it feels heavy (surgery side) Is this normal? I am doing some exercises when I can. Its driving me nuts. I am still using my crutches as I find it hard to weight bear without...

Last reply
  • Leg length discrepancy after right thr

Hi everyone, I have been having pain in my hip that I got thr surgery on. I had surgery on April 3, 2027 so about 6 months ago. I had a VERY painful front groin pain and still have not been able to put pants on without pain,  putting  on shoes and not able to lift my leg in a straightened position...

Last reply
  • Foot pain

I am 13wks post pop trying to walk more and have found that I have pain in the arch of the foot on my op leg. I had a  THR .  Anyone else gave this?

Last reply
  • It's been six months

Yes, it's been 6 months since TRHR, anterior approach.  My hip is doing very well!  It's all the other side effects that bother me.  I have returned to therapy for another 8-9 weeks, twice a week, during Oct. & Nov, again working to strengthen muscles (I still struggle going...

Last reply
  • Anterior or Posterior

The consensus is...my hip is shot!  I've consulted with two surgeons.  The first feels VERY strongly that anterior is the way to go.  The second?  You guessed it!   He is just as adamant that posterior is the only way.  I'm totally confused and wanting to make a...

Last reply
  • Trendelenburg Gait after hip replacement

I am 9+ weeks post op THR and am experiencing a Trendelenburg Gait as the result of a severed gluteus medius (and minimus) from a lateral surgical approach. I'm getting blank stares from the surgeon and PT when I ask if it will ever go away if I exercise well. I have not spoken to anyone else who...

Last reply
  • BED PAN RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE - ALSO GEL PACKS

I haven't a clue what type of a bed pan would be suitable (safe!!) to buy after I come home. I'm having to cope on my own and I dread not being able to get out of my bed and acxropss to the bathroom in time in the night. I'm 75 and I also have nerve damage/numbness in my feet and lower legs...

Last reply
  • walking

I'm almost 4 weeks with left hip replacement. Any feedback about when I  will be able to walk without a cane? I know each person is different but it seems like I'll never do it. It's painful. I guess it's a matter of strength 

Last reply
  • Starting a cold

My op is on Saturday and just starting a runny nose and feeling colder than usual. Will my op be cancelled if this continues or if I have a bit of a temperature?

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.