Skip to content

Hip Replacement

New discussion Join group Also known as THR, Total Hip Replacement

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Emis Moderator M
    Pinned

THR - Useful Resources

Below are links to various resources for THR patients. If anyone has suggestions for other useful resources let me know but please do so by contacting me and not replying in this thread. Any links for inclusion will have to be from non-commercial reputable sites. Patient leaflet on anaesthetic choices:...

13 replies 37 votes Last reply
  • Desire64 2

When should we start physiotheraphy and swimming?

Hello, When should we start physiotheraphy after THR? I had an operation 2 weeks ago, the physiotherapist told me to get physiotheraphy after 5 weeks, for a month. In the meantime I am doing the exercises she gave me.I would like to hear about your experiences. Also she said I can swim after one week....

10 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Soxy 3

Thigh pain after hip replacement

I'm wanting some feedback on high thigh pain after a hip replacement.  I am 68 years old (female) and am 10 weeks post op cement hip replacement due to severe arthritis.  I have been going on very well and thought all my troubles were over, but have now developed pain which seems to be...

99 replies 9 votes Last reply
  • ellenco 1

Sleeping

I'm 53 years old and had anterior THR. Overall I seem to be progressing very well. I can walk with a crutch or a cane. I am still using some pain medicine but not as much. They switched me to a lesser strength narcotic and it does not seem to be doing as well, but now that I can take ibuprofen...

8 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • pat30148 2

Hip replacement haematoma

I've been reading all these experiences people have had with hip replacement. Has anyone gotten a haematoma? I am 2 weeks out from my surgery. I saw my Dr yesterday because I did not know what this Hugh swelling on my hip was. He said it was a haematoma like it was nothing. He mentioned possibly...

12 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • angel2017 3

I,ve just had a hip injection

hi everyone again. Had a RTHR 16 weeks ago with total success. However afterwards within 4 weeks started having groin pain in other side, quite uncomfortable. My consultant suggested cortisone injection for diagnostic purposes more than anything, which I had done yesterday. The results are good pain...

11 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • YoMike 3

Bruising sore to touch 4 weeks post op

I'll be 4 weeks out in 2 days, but I'm still bruised and sore to touch. I'm still on the blood thinners for another week or so, but today the soreness to touch went from my inner thigh to my calf. Should I be concerned about blood clots? Soreness is on inner part of calf muscle, not the...

1 reply 0 votes Last reply
  • carol42631 3

GOOD NEWS!

4 weeks today since TRHR and just got home from hospital after check up with surgeon. He is really pleased and doesn't need to see me again for several months when he will review the left hip. Can now drive and was told to try manage without the crutch . Haven't had any physio just been doing...

17 replies 6 votes Last reply
  • kimberley38758 6

1st Anniverary After FRHR

Hello fellow hippies This time last year I was being prepped for surgery.  I remember being so terrified of the unknown.  This year has gone by so quickly, and I'm pleased to announce that the surgery was a success, I'm no longer in pain and I'm back to my normal lifestyle...

30 replies 5 votes Last reply
  • Rocketman SG6UK 6

Pilates anyone? 🤸

I am thinking of taking up pilates, has anyone else any experience of this form of exercise?   I believe it will help me to build my core muscles ... but will I be able to get up off the floor  with my dignity intact ? Graham - 🚀💃 🤸🤸🤸

18 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • pat 07646 2

Hip replaacement

Had hip revision 5 weeks ago thought things ok but last couple of days had strange feeling in leg. When l walk it feels like the bones are clicking. I've had two hip replacements and l revision but never experienced this before feel concerned. Anyone else had this.

3 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Sandy98765 2

Getting ready for hip replacement

I'm getting ready for hip replacement and am totally petrified. The surgeon is only 42 . I've got a book of exercises and have ordered a few pillows but it seems like some articles say you can never bend or twist again and other articles say you should be able to do most things after 6 months...

28 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • jean95000 3

Excersises

another question guys ... three weeks post op been doing the light excersises  and walking well but on Tuesday the physio introduced the harder level those of us in uk will have the booklet the clam raising your butt off the bed laying on your side lifting the leg up and the clam these are creating...

15 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Cindybud 3

Sleeping on my back

Hi all, it's me again. Can I ask how long we are supposed to sleep on our backs please? They told me I must but didn't say how long. I do struggle as I'm sure most of you do. What are your thoughts please. I'm four weeks post op. xx

24 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • pat 07646 2

Hip replacement

Has anyone suffered strange feelings after a hip revision. I can't put full weight on leg yet after 5 weeks till l go next week for my 6 week check up. But have these strange feelings in my leg when listening walk like s clicks feel and when you touch the leg it sorts of jerks. Anyone else or is...

• golf4 58 2

Hip replacement infection but no pain at all

Hello everyone I had a total hip replacement in the fall of 2016 when they were taking out the stitches they discovered it was infected I had a debridement and was on a PICC line for 8 weeks followed by antibiotic drugs a few weeks later it started to hurt again and it was discovered that I had an infection...

7 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Cindybud 3

Exercise plan

Hi, I'm reading all about when and how you have all been advised to exercise and leaflets you have been given. I haven't been told to do or shown any exercises at all by my surgeon or PT. They just said I could walk as much as I want. I'm now concerned that this may slow me down or hinder...

15 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • ann47958 3

Scar looks like a shark bite

Hi I had my hip replacement 4 weeks ago and am recovering well but as my sister-in-law pointed out my scar looks like I have been bitten by a shark I know it's not going to get smaller but what if ant are you using treat your scars

16 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • carol42631 3

Really worth trying!

I have read many posts from members that mention how constipation has affected them . Since my surgery I have been taking high doses of vitamin C because I had read how it really helps the healing process and oh boy, does it help stop constipation!!!! I'm taking 2000mg daily and I like the orange...

3 replies 3 votes Last reply
  • Cindybud 3

Handy tip

Maybe most of you already know about this but maybe some of you don't.  I have found it most useful so I thought I would share it with you. As you know we are measured before surgery to find out our ideal sitting height. Mine is 181/2 inches. Before I left hospital the PT put some tape around...

4 replies 8 votes Last reply
  • sue87388 UK 3

Leg length discrepancy following double total hip replacement

Does anyone have any problems with this. I have one leg longer than the other which I believe causes me problems when walking and could be the answer to a lot of my ongoing pain. My surgeon says the MRI looks good and could not cause the pain. I also had screws fitted to my hip for stability. When...

49 replies 3 votes Last reply
  • Cindybud 3

Hip dislocation

Hi all, just reading some of your posts and replies. There are quite a few of you who have experienced hip dislocations. I am four weeks post surgery having had posterior surgery. Dislocation is my biggest fear at the moment. Can any of you tell me how and why this happens and how long after surgery...

27 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Onehip2hip-ugh 1

New here - 7 weeks post hip replacement surgery

I've been lurking for a while (sorry) but I must say thank you for all of the reads. Sometimes at my most worriesome moments I would read here and feel a little better knowing I wasn't alone. Anyway - I'm 40 years old and after about 7 years of pain which always seemed to be localized in...

22 replies 2 votes Last reply
  • ann73107 3

Update on All Gowned up and ready to go.

Good morning all and a massive thank you to everybody who responded last Tuesday 11th, I didn't get back on the ward until late evening Tuesday and eventually got discharged 5pm Saturday evening. I ended up having a General as they couldn't manage to get a spinal in because of a blood clotting...

18 replies 3 votes Last reply
  • Suziemo 3

Getting down onto sun lounger after hip op

hi everyone  I had my hip operation last year and haven't been on holiday since . Want to plan a holiday to the sun but thinking how will I get on as I won't be able to get down to a sun lounger.as they are so low down . There must be lots of you out there that has had this thought and how...

9 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • francis62103 2

27 years old just had a LTHR

Hello everyone, This is my first post and I don't know where or how to start. Well I was only 19 when I started feeling this uncomfortable pain in my hip so I had to abandon my career as a football player (soccer) because I couldn't bare the pain after training. I went see my doctor, he had...

17 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Kimberley1108 2

Suitable chair for after the op.

Hi all I have a provisional date for September 8th and I've just completed my chair/ sofa measurements for the hospital and realise that my setees in the lounge (3 and 2 seaters) are both too low. There isn't a single chair in the lounge but I do have one in the children's playroom but...

18 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • sandy27782 2

Hip

Hi, I had an anterior hip replacement done 12 days ago, Dr had to do some extra repair, so I'll be on a walker for 5 weeks. I'm so tired and depressed. I'm trying to get off the pain meds, which I know will make me tired. I'm also in Coumadin to stop blood clots. I researched anterior...

21 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • jean95000 3

Leg spasm

hi folks here again . 3 weeks post op left hip replacement and I can't sleep for leg spasm any suggestion for relief   

• michael11283 3

Second Stage at last

Hi hippies. Well I am due to have my spacer replaced with a proper hip joint tomorrow. I can't wait!! Old joint was removed on 23rd March and this saga, since the joint infection was diagnosed will have taken 9 months. So all being well I will be a hippie once again. My poor wife, who is not a morning...

12 replies 2 votes Last reply
  • daniel48106 1

Knee issues after hip replacement

I had a total left hip replacement in September last year. I have been struggling with pains around my right knee and quad over the last few weeks and there are many days where I battle to walk and be pain free. As anyone experienced this before? Am I over compensating on my good leg? Dan

14 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • Johnvw 2

Undecided THR

hi to All, I am new to the Forum and welcome your comments. I am 68 y.o. and expecting to have a THR next March/April. I am not in pain, just discomfort. I am aware of the hip and it seems to catch at different times, walking is o/k, but not fast. I am undecided in regard to the operation because I am...

23 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • Desire64 2
  • rachael2212 1

Hip Replacement

Hi, I'm looking for any advice or anyone experiencing the same issues with a ceramic hip replacement. I am 42yrs old & have had my replacement for 8 years, over the last couple of years I have had pain from my groin extending to my knee after the slightest bend or twist. Also if I've been...

4 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • sarah22500 3

Still waiting for THR but legs feel like lead

Hi, my first hip replacement will be around October to December. I am well over 70 & I am always in pain but I've stopped the morphine patches I was on due to severe constipation. And I mean severe. However my legs are starting to feel more and more leaden. So heavy. I'm quite a slight person...

11 replies 0 votes Last reply
Back to top Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.