WHEN IS THE RIGHT TIME?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am now 67 years old, have had discomfort and some pain from OA since I was 50 and have been taking Meloxocam for about 4 years now. About 2 years ago I started to walk with a limp from my left hip which became painful and now also my right one has very quickly become more painful. My surgeon indicated that he thought it was still too soon for the operation, though he could do it should wish.

My dilemma is the following:- I have been extremely active all my life am retired and live for a sport that involves walking/climbing up and down a mountain side. I can still do it, a bit slowly and with some discomfort, not as often as I did, but if the deterioration continues at the rate it has done the past year, then I somehow predict that in a year or two, I will no longer manage.

If I were prepared to stop my hobby now, I would probably continue the way I am for some time but that will be a very reluctant lifestyle change.  So if I have the op now, it will be only to enable me to continue with my hobby, but will I be able to? . And then, after a year my knees may probably need attention?

With new hips, will I be able to walk safely on mountain sides, where I have to lift my legs up high and lever myself to step up on ledges, walk on uneven ground, over boulders and scramble upor down a slope? My feeling is that this is tempting a possible dislocation of the hip with very serious consequences.

My friends who I know have had knee and hip surgery all say have the operation sooner rather than later and I believe that, if the objective is to simply do the normal things of life, without pain.

I also clearly understand that many of these questions don't have definitive simple clear answers, but perhaps those on this forum who have been there have an opinion that can guide me.

Thanks

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Like you I have always been very active and it came as a shock to me last year to be told that I needed a hip replacement. I'd been referred to the knee cosultant as that's where the pain was. Turns out it was referred pain. I was coping by using lots of pain killers.

I am a keen horse woman, I've got my own horse and compete at local level. The thought that I may never ride again was devastating.

Now the good news is that 1 year on I'm back in the saddle and riding better than ever before as I'm no longer in pain and am able to sit straight on my horse. I'm really enjoying my riding again where as before the op it had become a chore. I was lucky in that my physio at the hospital also kept and rode horses so she was able to give me lots of advice. I'm 60 going on 30 in my head. My advice to you would be to have the op sooner rather than later so that you can take advantage of the freedom your new hip will give you. It was the best thing I've done. I'm not on any medication now and its wonderful. Good luck.

• Posted

Dear Cornelis

I'm speaking as someone who had the surgery at 55 in 1997 and it transformed my life. Mine was a very rapid and pain free recovery but I was fit and healthy and had a positive disposition and being self employed helped me get on with things!

I was able to quickly return to doing building and roofing work and twenty years later was still able to walk along the top of roof ridges and that was also with a replacement ankle. I was also involved in hill sheep farming on a very steep hill side and this meant catching sheep and turning them onto their backs etc and restraining them., carrying bales if gay and climbing o to hay wagons etc.

The hip lasted for just over twenty years and the poly cup finally wore out which required a revision last year. That at age 76 was very successful and so here is to the next twenty years!

Far better to have the surgery done before you are at the end of your tether as this will mean you are in far better shape and this will speed and ease your recovery. It will also avoid you from walking badly and potentially damaging your back

All the best, Richard

• Posted

After hip placement you cannot raise your leg above a 90 deg angle. Could cause the hip to dislocate.
    • Posted

Dear Brenda

I think you will find that this is only for the first couple of months or so and this is for the traditional posterior approach and even this is seeing some relaxation though I would still be careful.

Graham who is one of our members has a very useful risk chart that suggests a longer at risk period. No point risking it by being impatient after all it takes the muscles time to recover and it's the muscles that holds the ball in place in the cup.

I was not given any restrictions when I had my hip done twenty years ago and no physio but when I had my revision last year I was sent off with a few sheets of exercises to do and told to observe the 90 degree for the first couple of months. I was offered physio but could not be bothered with the hassle and got on fine by just doing my exercises and lots of walking.

I'm perfectly fine lifting my leg to the same angle past 90 as the other non operated leg now with no issues or discomfort and this is seven months post revision and at age 76.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi there

I'm 59 

I agree with the others leaving it too long and you will end up with all sort of related issues. I limped on for too long as I wasn't offered an op and my quality of life diminished.  Since having my hip done 12 months ago I have got my life back and my smile, it's amazing how fed up you get when in constant pain.  So go for it being fit and healthy will help your recover too

Julie

• Posted

When they get bad, hips can deteriorate very quickly and not only will you not be able to do your hobby, the normal things in your life will become difficult and very painful. I think you've waited long enough, get them done ASAP before the rest of your body is affected. 🏞

• Posted

I feel your pain, your story reminds me of myself and believe me it does get worse. For me the meloxocam was not effective at all after 3 or 4 years, eventually leading to oxycodone.  So I'd personally suggest you consider doing them sooner rather than holding off. If you're in good shape, you should seriously consider doing both hips.  

I'm 68, had bilateral just shy of 3 months ago and just now got back from surfing at dawn followed by a +2 mile walk.  I have NO pain and I am on my way to being in the back in the best shape I've been in many years.  BTHR was physically The best thing I've ever done and if you want to walk or climb mountains again before you're too old; go for it.  

As you can tell from my comments, being pain free again is unbelievable.

• Posted

It is encouraging to read all these positive comments which largely agree with what I've been told by others who have had the operation as well.

I have a friend who still goes up and down the mountain sides regularly with two replaced knees, his comment is that the knees are not 100% but at least pain free!

A woman who comes down occasionally has both hips done and also copes well and had a similar opinion as expressed here.

I thank you all very much.

• Posted

Hi Cornelis, definitely go for it. Had my hip replacement about 18 months  ago, I was 57. Hardly think about my hip now, I walk, bike to work, ski, everything I did before except for running, which my surgeon doesn’t recommend. 

All the best, Judith 

• Posted

There was a letter in the papers yesterday about a Scottish deer stalker who had had both hips done. He used a stick to walk over the rough terrain the top of which was the head of the femur taken from one of his ops! I thought it was a lovely story. 
    • Posted

Hi Judith,

I am sure your doctor knows best in your case.

Just a quick story about running after hip replacement.

My wife had a friend who was a marathon runner, a small woman, maybe 53 kg and pretty fit.   She had both hips done simultaneously, probably 8 years ago, and about 6 weeks after the op we saw her running on the beach and marveled at the progress that had been made in this field.

So it can be done and I will always remember the sight of her jogging like that.

Regards

• Posted

It’s true Cornelis, quite a few people on this site continue to run post op, and I like your description of the woman running on the beach. My surgeon was ok about short distances, (running for the bus!) but not keen on distance running because of the impact on the joint. I’m ok with that, can do most other things. I also swim a lot which I enjoy, and breaststroke is fine. 
    • Posted

Dear Cornelis

Nice story but I wonder how long her hips will last if she makes a habit of running.Many of us have been told that running will reduce the life of replacement hip joints.

I could run on mine and occasionally did in an emergency but not as a regular thing. Mine lasted for twenty years of hard work.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Dear Cornelis

I hope you have been convinced by all the posts that your best bet is to book your hip surgery before they get worse. If you leave it one thing is certain is that not only will you not be able to continue with your hobby but you will find just getting around will become very painful.

Bad hips can only get worse and quite often they get to a point where they suddenly go downhill very fast and bad hips will cause you to walk badly which will then impact on your back.

Good luck.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.