WHEN IS THE RIGHT TIME?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am now 67 years old, have had discomfort and some pain from OA since I was 50 and have been taking Meloxocam for about 4 years now. About 2 years ago I started to walk with a limp from my left hip which became painful and now also my right one has very quickly become more painful. My surgeon indicated that he thought it was still too soon for the operation, though he could do it should wish.

My dilemma is the following:- I have been extremely active all my life am retired and live for a sport that involves walking/climbing up and down a mountain side. I can still do it, a bit slowly and with some discomfort, not as often as I did, but if the deterioration continues at the rate it has done the past year, then I somehow predict that in a year or two, I will no longer manage.

If I were prepared to stop my hobby now, I would probably continue the way I am for some time but that will be a very reluctant lifestyle change.  So if I have the op now, it will be only to enable me to continue with my hobby, but will I be able to? . And then, after a year my knees may probably need attention?

With new hips, will I be able to walk safely on mountain sides, where I have to lift my legs up high and lever myself to step up on ledges, walk on uneven ground, over boulders and scramble upor down a slope? My feeling is that this is tempting a possible dislocation of the hip with very serious consequences.

My friends who I know have had knee and hip surgery all say have the operation sooner rather than later and I believe that, if the objective is to simply do the normal things of life, without pain.

I also clearly understand that many of these questions don't have definitive simple clear answers, but perhaps those on this forum who have been there have an opinion that can guide me.

Thanks

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there, I waited 20 years to get my second hip done and lost a little bit more mobility each year. I had my own reasons since beeing off for 6onths was not possible for work and because I am the primary care giver for my son with DMD. I also had one good hip so that hip was bearing 80 percent of my weight. The pain got so bad that Demerol did very little, I did not respond well to oxycodone . My celebrex was increased to triple it's fine of 500 mg and then developed ulcers, problems with platelets, tooth infections and other problems. My arthritis and trying to control my symptoms, ie increasing pain affected my happinesses. Every medication had side effects. Now that both my hips are fixed, I am working on getting stronger, relearning how to walk without a limp. I no longer can do contact sports and was advised to reduce impact, ie skipping rope, running, jumping and will have to ride a trike. I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I no longer have to depend on strong pain killers and feel like I am on a daze. Walking on uneven ground is still challenging but at least I can walk. I now swim every day, bike a lot, dance a lot. Only you will know when you are ready but go into surgery with the best muscle tone and you will recover faster . Every surgery had risks so weigh all the factors. For me I pushed it as far as I could and when looking back I wished I had done it sooner because of the pain and the meds to handle pain. Best of luck

• Posted

Hi Cornelis,

Just do it!! I am 55 years young and very active. The pain was starting to effect what I enjoy doing. I understand the Anterior or Superpath approach is the way to go as the recovery time is so fast. Here in Canada we do not have many Surgeons doing it compared to overseas. The longer you wait the more your body will compensate and you will end up with other issues! I am so happy I got it done. I had the posterior approach done and 3 weeks post op. I am out and about with a few restrictions!

• Posted

These forums are such a great place for information; learning so much all the time. I'm in a similar situation "When do I get it done ?".

Diagnosed over 7 years ago, thought I had a groin strain so stopped playing football and tennis, giving it time to heal. It just got worse, thought I must have a trapped nerve so eventually saw a Doctor. After X-Rays told I had osteophytes, bone spurs, impinging my full hip movement; especially on left hip. Told to take pain killers as needed and when it got worse they would operate. On 30mg co-codamol but only when required. I can't run at all, walk with a limp, can't play football or tennis, but I can cycle pain free and I still go skiing every year. Last year in a weeks skiing, I took only 4 co-codamol tablets to help in the later afternoons.

My physio gave me exercises to build up the muscles around the hips. These I did originally every day, then 3 times a week, but for the last 3 months even doing the exercises causes pain for the next day or two; not enough pain for tablets... but enough to stop me exercising so much, so now down to twice a week.

Feel as if I really don't need a new hip YET, but would be interested in having the bone spurs removed with key-hole surgery. My own Doctor claims it does not last for long and will grow back quickly, so won't recommend on the NHS (UK), if I'm in pain, he will recommend going for further tests but tells me it would likely end in a new hip, rather than the NHS paying for little operations that will not last long.

I can't remember the last time I took pain relief, probably when I climbed Snowden this summer, but there is nagging pain each day after the exercises, especially when I walk the dogs.

IS IT TIME YET ????

Should I pay and go private for shaving the bone? How much is it likely to cost and how long will it last?

Maybe worth £2500 of my own savings, but not if it only lasts 6 months.

My hip surgeon tells me when I'm taking pain killers like candy, it is time for a new hip.....

Must admit, when it was diagnosed in 2010 I thought I would get worse quicker. But over 7 years with loss of many sports and activities, maybe it will last another 10 like this!

I still paraglide, ski, walk my dogs and metal detect, virtually pain free (unless I exercise that day).

Anyone else had their bone shaved???

• Posted

Dear Mark

Because I was deemed as being too young for a hip replacement in about 1994 I went to a chiropractor who helped me to build my muscles around the hip joint and this kept me going for about four years.

There came a point when I had to stop work due to the state of my hip and as I was now considered old enough to be allowed to have a replacement hip.

The surgery was a fantastic success and I was up and about very quickly. I recall that at about two weeks after vetting home and before I was allowed to drive, a neighbour very kindly took me over to where some of my flock of sheep were spending the winter so that I could worm them.

From what I've read about you I would get booked in with a really good surgeon now. Hips can suddenly go down hill fast. One thing is certain is that it can only get worse and the fitter you are the easier and quicker your recovery is likely to be.

Good luck. Richard

• Posted

I posted here 6 years ago and got very good advice. For reasons I am not sorry over I only had my operation 10 month ago, it was actually amazing to me, never 1 bit of pain, never! When I was wheeled back in to my ward I tried lifting my leg and was stunned that I could do so and more, without pain.

I did experience some difficulty with poor balance, that was in fact one of my problems with my legs and lower body that I had hoped to cure.

I am now say 100% recovered from the op which I regard as totally successful, it feels like a new bearing inside the hip. I am once again climbing down/up mountains to go fishing, started doing that around month 5.

Despite my operation being very successful, I am somewhat unhappy that it has not resolved or reduced my problems of constant arthritis pain in my lower back, legs, knees, calves and poor balance. At the time I told the Orthopod that I could not specifically point out where the pain was or originated from, and thought my right knee was the main suspect, which I now know for a fact is correct. At the time of my consultation I indicated to the Dr that it would probably be necessary to "fix" all 4 joints (hips & knees) He was of the opinion that we first do the left hip as that one showed the most wear.

So I now have the situation that my actual problem has not been resolved or even the pain has not decreased more then perhaps 5% and my balance is worse then before the opp.

More decisions,...... I must say I found the strict long recovery period a nuisance and very irritating and do not particularly feel like having another operation and going through all that again and maybe gain another only 5% in pain reduction.

I have also been warned that knee replacements may not always provide the pain free outcomes expected, so, there is also a risk!

Do I really want to replace all the major joints in my lower body, I somehow do not think so, unless my pain and or discomfort aggravates.

A final question, Is it OK to jump downwards about 80 cm on to solid ground landing on both legs simultaneously?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.