Depression after hip replacement

Posted , 15 users are following.

It has been two months since my surgery, i guess i am doing okay physically, still need a cane, and still suffering some pain.  My biggest problem now is the constant depression i have, i have cried now for four days and cant seem to stop, is this normal?

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I think post op depression to a certain degree is normal, perhaps talk to your GP about a short term medication??  Wishing you some joy Connie 
  • Posted

I think most of us have had our depressions spells after our surgery at one time or another. Mine was about the two week mark, but I still have some here and there. If you feel it is causing you too much problems or pain I would talk to the doctor about something to help, at least temporarily. I was already taking something for depression prior to my surgery (from the pain and not being able to get around, also had just lost my dad), and now I am 11 weeks post op and still can't get around. Getting my other hip replaced next week. Gosh, who wouldn't be depressed? Hope you feel better soon. Wishing you happiness and laughter. Barb

• Edited

Oh Connie - big , big hugs.

This operation and recovery journey is really tough and I think that the hardest part (after week 1) is dealing with the depressing reality that this is NOT a quick fix and it will take time and hard work to get back to where we want to be.

So many people have posted here about how emotional this is and I was one of them. For me it was the total dependency on others, the recovery stretching ahead of me, a little bit of relief for surviving this far but also the fact that I had another hip to get done.

I think it is important to get family and friends to help cheer you up, to deliberately set up activities that you enjoy (we had several movie and concert nights with non-alcoholism margaritas, etc., a jigsaw on the go all the time and (I admit) some binge watching of Game of Thrones.

However, see your doctor if it is getting too rough as there are no medals for just toughing it out if it interferes with your recovery.

Big hugs,

L

• Posted

Ps - I am at 5 months, and preparing for hip #2 in September. Hip #1 is about 80 % and probably would be better if not for the bad right one. I spent the day with girlfriends at a favourite haunt north of here walking , shopping and enjoying some overly sunny weather. But walking for about 5 hours ....

This will get better.

L

• Posted

dear connie, 

warm welcome to this wonderful forum of hippies - no better support group of people then here - we have been there , done that, some about to start this journey and many like you, in the process of healing from this major surgery -

it is normal and nothing is wrong with you - no need to defend your self, not even to yourself, or try to explain it - 

it has been a long road leading up to the surgery (unless you broke your hip) - the pain one had to deal with, slowly losing mobility etc.

you made the decision and had the surgery - it is not going as fast as you expected and feel disappointed - out of nowhere come the tears - I made frequent visits to pity city as well - 

I also believe that the body is in a state of mourning the loss of an old part ... 

I agree, maybe ask your GP for some medication to get you through it - 

come here anytime okay ? You are not alone ....

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee, Your naming us a group of hippies made me laugh, actually, i am 74 and did live during the hippie period.  I also loved your analogy of our body mourning the loss of one of it's parts.  What a great way to look at it.  I had experienced a lot of pain in my right hip and three years ago, had an arthrogram, and have not had any pain since, which even my Doctors find hard to believe.  So when the left hip started hurting i thought no bigee, had two arthrograms, and neither one worked, I held out on the surgery all that time.  I am 74 and this is my first surgery, so I should be thanking my lucky stars instead of feeling sorry for myself.  

I got a tattoo, and dyed my hair purple,  in an effort to spice things up.  lol.    I know this too shall pass, and i do appreciate a place like this to come talk.  God bless.

• Posted

I think most of us are real hippies !!! I am 68 and lived the life !!!!  who knew then huh !!

I wish we could all get together -

well, we actually are in spirit - holding hands and laugh out loud !!!!

• Posted

Totally agree about the loss of a part of yourself. it was when I got home that kicked in.

• Posted

Dear Connie. So sorry to hear you are struggling with the pain and depression. I can relate as I have been having issues with depression since about 8 weeks post op to now with so many physical symptoms too. I think that the aftermath of surgery and recovery can leave one feeling down like never before. Anyway today is the first day that I feel somewhat normal in about 2 months so I want you to know there is hope. 

Have a good talk with your doctor. Make sure you are getting enough sleep, and rest. still do your exercises and activities, get the right meds to give you relief from pain and  depression. This is individual for everyone. Eat well, maybe be have a protein shake or liquid nutritional shake if you don't feel like eating. Massage therapy can also help relieve the pain and tension stress you are likely also experiencing. I don't have the answers except to offer you support and encouragement like the other caring people on this forum.

Take Care,

Cathy

• Posted

Cathy,  Ty for your reply.  I do have efexer since I have had this depression problem for years.  I am going to call my dr. on Monday.  I know this is temporary, and i am so happy to have a place to go and vent my frustration.
    • Posted

Hi Connie. I like your spirited reply to Renee. You are a true hip hippie.

not to be a prescriber but I read that cymbalta is good for pain and depression. 

Hang in there. At 74, you obviously have been a trooper.

Cathy😊

• Posted

Oh Connie poor you

I had my total hip replacement three weeks ago and have never cried as much. I know is completely normal but very tough still. I am fed up with people saying "my friend /uncle/etc had this surgery and we're running about in matter of couple of weeks! !" So very unhelpful and frustrating. I think a lot of tears are due to total frustration as to how limited we are with all precautions, etc. Do speak with your gp if your feel same way after few das.

I have found this forum so reassuring that we are not alone with our recovery.

Look after yourself and take care

Tracey xx

• Posted

Tracey, You did not give your age, but i am 74 (no spring chickee, anymore).  I do understand the frustation of people telling me about those that they know that bounced right back, and would do it again in a heartbeat.  I seriously would not do it again.  I am prone to suffering from depression and do take efexer for it.  However, this has been a severe attack, I am going to call him Monday, life is too short to be sad.  I hope your recovery is quick.

• Posted

Morning Connie

I am 53. I am so pleased that you will ring your gp tomorrow morning. So important that you look after yourself. Stay strong, you will get there even if it takes time.

With love

Tracey xx

• Posted

Hi, I am 12 days post LTHR and severely depressed. Did not expct to be sooo difficult. Can't imagine to go thru this again. Nobody prepared me emotionally. Everyone was saying, oh, you will be up and runnunig in no time but that is not true and it isn't helping. I don't want to take the painkillers anymore because they make me crazy. No sleep. I don't know how to survive. Help, please

• Posted

hi maria, 

I am so sorry to hear this ...

warm welcome to this wonderful forum of hippies where we share our personal experiences and stories ...

maybe you can start your own discussion and share your story with us -- you are not alone okay?  and this is normal and part of the roller coaster ride of hip surgery ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Maria ,it's a slower process than you think ..I too am more down than I thought I'd be ..whether it's because we are not doing our normal stuff ...Christmas coming up ...not so mobile ..not sleeping ..expecting too much of ourselves....losing quite a lot of independence..a mix of it all ..I also have cut my meds especially codeine..I really hope we both feel better soon ..keep in touch ..take care ..Gail x 

• Posted

Gosh this site is some story of crazy. Took me ages to work out why a five month old thread was at the top! 

Like Renee said, if you could start your own thread, you can have us all to yourself!

Life is perverse, isn't it? Everyone was expecting me not to be up and running in no time ( including me), and I'm one of the rare cases that is! But you are absolutely right - counselors etc., are usually available for most major conditions, but hospitals are woefully lacking any such resource for major surgery like this, and it's probably as important as physiotherapy.

Are you on your own or with family and friends? 

Please don't just stop your painkillers. Right now you need their support. If the ones you have don't work for you, speak to your doctor - there are plenty of others you could use. Believe me, you will survive this. You must have had a lot to deal with before the surgery, or you wouldn't have had it - and you survived that, so you must be tougher than you think.

This time of year - rubbish weather, dark nights, cold, and Christmas - it's a classic for making people feel down anyway. Normally, at this time of year, I take off to somewhere that isn't celebrating Christmas (or not on 25th), and it's warmer, because I just abhor the British winter!

You don't have to do this yourself. We're all here.

• Posted

Thank you for the hug , I really needed it. It's actually helping - to know that I am not alone.

• Posted

Beth, thanks for the support. I am an active person and being chained now affects me very hard. I have survived worse than that (breast cancer) but I also have to deal with the loss of my husband a year ago so my emotional balance is a little off I guess. I have talked to the doctor but for some reason he was very rude and did not help. I have cut the paincillers to the minimum and have decided to increase the therapy and home exercises. I will also begin short walks around the house. i would like to go back to work asap. That will be the best medicine.I cry a lot. My son and my step son are taking care of me as much as they can but I don't have help 24/7 and that makes the situation even more difficult. Most of all I need encouragement. Thanks.

• Posted

Thanks for the support. If I only could sleep better, I would feel better but I can't. The doctor insists to ware the immobilizer and the abduction pillow for 6 weeks and I hate them both especially the immobilizer. A

ny experience to share?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.