Depression after hip replacement

Posted , 15 users are following.

It has been two months since my surgery, i guess i am doing okay physically, still need a cane, and still suffering some pain.  My biggest problem now is the constant depression i have, i have cried now for four days and cant seem to stop, is this normal?

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't think it is uncommon - I had depressive times, something I never ever suffered from before.

Fine now at 7 months.

Graham

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Rocketman. Reassuring as ever to stay the course and the light at the end of the tunnel will come. Did you say you took meds for the pain in the later stages or not. I have been taking Tylenol extra strength for the past 3 weeks but I think that has its own issues for constipation plus not really helping.

How are you doing these days?

• Posted

Hi Cathy,  Ty for your reply.  Still depressed but not quite as bad, going to go to the Dr. on Monday and see what he will do.  You are so correct that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  A realy old friend had to have his leg amputated about the same time I had my surgery, I think of him often and realize my situation could be worse.  

• Posted

Cathy,

I stopped taking the painkillers (Tramadol, Coedine, Paracetamol / Tylenol) quite early - in the first week after coming out of hospital.  

Putting this into context, I was fully weight bearing the day after the operation, and have never regularly taken even headache pills.

The only pills I had to keep taking were the blood thinning Rivaroxaban to prevent DVT.

I am now nicely on the mend - I can hardly believe it is now over 9 months since the original operation, and 7 months since my failed revision.  Commuting in and out of London, walking up escalators, using the pushbike daily ..... yes there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

I have come to the conculsion that our body doesn't like the surgery very much, even though it does do sooo much good long term.

Lack of sleep, a foreign part now occuping the space where our body used to have red blood cell replacing marrow, Dr laughed when I asked him is their any side effect's of that piece of steel in our body, the side effect of the anthestia, even spinal, and just the whole shock of the surgery, the heavy painkillers they have to give you.

And you wonder why you are depressed.

I think we all suffered to some extent with depression, after surgery, and I was amoung the many.

• Posted

Hi Connie,

I am in my 8th week now and still have good and bad days. It all seems to be very normal amongst us hippies so at least you always have someone to talk to here lol 

Take care

Jacqui

• Posted

Hello, new friends!! I found this site by accident (looking up 'How soon after total hip replacement can I get a tattoo'--which should tell you something about me!) and am I glad I DID!! I am 15 days post-op, and made my first trip out into the real world, totally exhausting. I am using the walker first thing in the morning, last thing at night--when I'm most wobbly. First 12 days were 25% weight-bearing, so getting off the walker has been huge! I LOVED the 'hippies' comment--gave me a good laugh! I have 8 active inflammatory diseases (yes, my body is trying to kill me), which is why the hip replacement. Had my right knee replaced 2 1/2 years ago, mostly due to a fall at school. The 5 years of bad knee and an erosive arthritis took out the right hip. I expected the hip to be easier than it has been--totally unrealistic, I realize now. I had so much inflammation in the hip that it has caused radiating pain all the way down my leg--like having a non-stop charlie horse. When it didn't stop after the surgery, my already depression got noticeably deeper. It's reduced some, and I have to focus on the fact that it doesn't hurt ALL the time now, just SOMETIMES--but depression doesn't listen to reason. I have a chronic low-level depression, so I am on a rx all the time, but after talking to my dr, we've upped it some--not just because of the hip, but this was like one thing too many. I am SO relieved to read of you all struggling with the depression, too, and also expecting that getting rid of the bad part would mean instant relief. I'm glad I wasn't the only one!! I'm going to be following you, so keep up the words of truth and encouragement, will you? I know I'm not the only one who needs to hear them.

• Posted

Stay positive, Use this hip replacement as an opportunity to make improvements in your life.

I am 63 years and had a total hip replacement in 2018. At that time I weighed 235 pounds and was very limited on any activities I could do. I took the opportunity and made a decision that I wanted to do activities that i have not been able to do for many years. Now i weigh 170 pounds and enjoy hiking and backpacking.

It took time and a goal that was achievable.

My advise is to take this opportunity to improve your life.

It was not easy but my new hip gave me a new life.

My prayers go out to you. Stay positive

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.