Female Cystoscopy ~ DON'T worry!!!!!

Posted , 99 users are following.

I had a Cystoscopy yesterday afternoon. I've known for about a month that I would have to have one and I have been worried sick about it. Found some awful posts on the net about it, and then fortunately found many reassuring posts on this forum! Trust me that when the ladies on here say "Don't worry"....DON'T! I've been so anxious, that I've lost sleep and my appetite over it. I was in and out of Theatre in 7 minutes!  I asked my husband to time it as I knew I wanted to do a review on here to help others, as it has been this forum that got me through it yesterday! 

You are in the position for a smear test for the procedure. Knees bent and apart and feet flat and together on the couch. So no stirrups (which I was glad about, as I hate that restriction, and I had expected that!) First they swab the area down, then insert the local anaesthetic. That just feels slightly cold, but not uncomfortable or painful. Then the camera is inserted, and again, that didnt hurt either. The nurse holding my hand told me it was in and then let me watch on the monitor. Whilst the camera is in, the surgeon fills your bladder with water so that he can see it all clearly. Within a couple of minutes, it's all done! I honestly wouldn't even say it was uncomfortable. You are aware something is going on, but certainly no pain. And if the surgeon told me he was going to do another Cystoscopy on me, I wouldnt lose a moments sleep over it!  I was given a cup of tea after the procedure, and sat and rested for a while, and once I had passed urine the nurses discharged me from the ward. I've been passing urine normally and it hasn't even stung, so I guess Ive been lucky. I had no pain until a couple of hours after the procedure, when I guess my anaesthetic had worn off. It was just like Period Pain. I took a couple of Paracetamol and it eased off, and today I am fine. 

So trust my post here! I am the biggest softy ever! And if I can do this you can too. Don't lose sleep over it, it's just not worth it! Ignore the horror stories you might come across on the net. It's easier and much less uncomfortable than a smear test! I am happy to help anyone I can over this procedure. If I've missed anything out and you have a question, just post on here and I will get back to you ASAP. Jackie 

21 likes, 377 replies

377 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have to have this procedure in two weeks and I cried in the doctors office about it. Thank you for easing my anxiety
    • Posted

Oh Mia I cried almost everyday about it! I was worried sick when my Dr. told me I had to have one and I had a month to wait for it!  I promise you it's not worth any tears or losing any sleep over. Please keep me posted, and let me know if you need to talk or have any questions. J
    • Posted

I had this Procedure done today....I didn't know what expect, i was asking the Nurse questions...i was so nervous...but it wasn't bad at all....took about 10 minutes, and you watch it on the screen..... So don't worry.....you will be fine.....

• Posted

Thank you so much. My husband told me I needed to stop reading so much.  I've been reading posts on websites and Facebook, and I'm a nervous wreck about this.   I am going to calm down. The anxiety makes my condition worse.  Thank you for your honesty.  I feel better for my procedure on July 25th
    • Posted

Hi Diane. I wasted a whole month worrying myself sick about it all. And my husband kept telling me the same too "stop looking it up on the internet"!!! Then fortunately I found this forum where the posts are very honest and no horror stories!!! So it calmed me down a bit I tried to post as much info as I could about the procedure. Please try not to worry, it;s just not worth it! Remember just 7 minutes in total in theatre! And a few minutes of that is the prep! Probably the worst part is having to walk into theatre as it looks a bit daunting. But once you are up on the table, the nurses are so reassuring and kind. It'll all be over before you know it! Please keep me posted and let me know how you get on. J  
    • Posted

Hi Diane! How did you get on? We've just got back from holiday otherwise I would have asked you earlier. X
  • Posted

Hi Jackie

I am due to go for this in a month, my second one in 4 years.The last showed a narrow urethra but i didn't go for surgery as I was terrified.Do you have to have further intervention can I ask??

• Posted

Hi, No I don't. I just got the all clear last week thankfully. Or I was going to be referred to a renal team. The reason for my Cystoscopy was that I have had "microscopic traces of blood" in my urine for over a year (3 routine samples taken over that period of time) but since he did the Cystoscopy, my urine has been clear of blood. I'm guessing that the flushing out of my bladder during the procedure did some good! smile Good luck with yours HEZ64, let me know how you get on. x 
  • Posted

Hi Jackie, your words on this are reassuring. However, I have to have this done in a few days, & I am terrified. My Dr. arranged it after I had a constant & severe uti for 8 months, which several courses of antibiotics did not help. It just got worse, the pain was excruciating, even walking hurt. It is like having a red hot poker jabbing at me, or something with razor sharp teeth trying to chew its way out. The Dr. gave me a brief check, she was very gentle, but she had to stop, it hurt so bad. It was as if the glove had been dipped in burning ground glass, and I was very tense and could not relax. And now I have this cystoscopy to endure, and I am afraid it will be agony. I am hoping they can give me a tranquilizer, or something, I am already a nervous wreck about this. Please help me 
    • Posted

Hi Kay, sorry to hear you have been in so much pain. Hopefully the Cystoscopy should be able to get to the root of the problem for you. Before the surgeon starts the procedure they will put some anaesthetic gel into your urethra so you don't feel anything. I never felt the camera go in at all, it was the nurse who was holding my hand who told me it was in! And then she asked me if I wanted to watch the procedure on a monitor, which I did and it was very interesting. I took Dr. Bachs "Rescue Remedy" which you can buy from Boots to help calm me down before I went in. Or you could ask your G.P. to give you something to take on the morning of the procedure. Hope all goes well for you Kay, let em know how you get on and feel free to inbox me anytime. X
    • Posted

Hi Jackie,

Thankyou for your reply and your reassurance. I had a wasted journey to the hospital for the procedure two days ago. I was very nervous, but the nurses and my doctor were very kind and understanding. However, there was a problem. I was having discomfort due to the uti, despite having just finished my latest course of antibiotics. They did a dip test, and found that I was still severely infected,  and the doctor advised me to not have the procedure, as the infection would prevent an accurate result. He said that I needed the cystoscopy, but needed for me to be clear before he could go ahead with it. The trouble is that I have had the uti constantly for 8 months, and it has resisted several courses of antibiotics. The doctor gave me some other, stronger antibiotics, and hopefully these will help. I am now waiting for another appointment to be arranged, maybe for later this week. I was a little disappointed, as I had kept your advice in mind, and had kind of psyched myself up for the procedure, only to be told it could not be done, so now I have to ready myself again. The new meds seem to be helping, I really hope they will clear the infection enough to be able to have the procedure done. I apologize for the long post, I just wanted to let you know what is happening. Thankyou for understanding and for your reassurance, I feel a little braver now smile

• Posted

Sorry you had a wasted journey Kay. Hopefully the anitbiotics you have been given will help. Try your hardest not to worry as the procedure is not painful. I didnt even know when they had put the camera in! The nurse told me it was in! They do put some anaesthetic gel in place before insertin the tiny camera. I would rather have a cystoscopy than a smear! A smear is more uncomfortable! You will be fine, trust me. I hope they find the root of your infections. You may find that once your bladder has been flushed out with the procedure, you could be finally free from your reoccuring infections. Let me know how you get on next time. Good luck Kay. x
    • Posted

Hey Jackie...I had one done today...I myself was scared,,, but it wasn't bad at all....just alittle uncomfortable...but they numb the area,,, it took about 10 minutes..and it was over.....so don't worry....you will be fine...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.