Female Cystoscopy ~ DON'T worry!!!!!

Posted , 99 users are following.

I had a Cystoscopy yesterday afternoon. I've known for about a month that I would have to have one and I have been worried sick about it. Found some awful posts on the net about it, and then fortunately found many reassuring posts on this forum! Trust me that when the ladies on here say "Don't worry"....DON'T! I've been so anxious, that I've lost sleep and my appetite over it. I was in and out of Theatre in 7 minutes!  I asked my husband to time it as I knew I wanted to do a review on here to help others, as it has been this forum that got me through it yesterday! 

You are in the position for a smear test for the procedure. Knees bent and apart and feet flat and together on the couch. So no stirrups (which I was glad about, as I hate that restriction, and I had expected that!) First they swab the area down, then insert the local anaesthetic. That just feels slightly cold, but not uncomfortable or painful. Then the camera is inserted, and again, that didnt hurt either. The nurse holding my hand told me it was in and then let me watch on the monitor. Whilst the camera is in, the surgeon fills your bladder with water so that he can see it all clearly. Within a couple of minutes, it's all done! I honestly wouldn't even say it was uncomfortable. You are aware something is going on, but certainly no pain. And if the surgeon told me he was going to do another Cystoscopy on me, I wouldnt lose a moments sleep over it!  I was given a cup of tea after the procedure, and sat and rested for a while, and once I had passed urine the nurses discharged me from the ward. I've been passing urine normally and it hasn't even stung, so I guess Ive been lucky. I had no pain until a couple of hours after the procedure, when I guess my anaesthetic had worn off. It was just like Period Pain. I took a couple of Paracetamol and it eased off, and today I am fine. 

So trust my post here! I am the biggest softy ever! And if I can do this you can too. Don't lose sleep over it, it's just not worth it! Ignore the horror stories you might come across on the net. It's easier and much less uncomfortable than a smear test! I am happy to help anyone I can over this procedure. If I've missed anything out and you have a question, just post on here and I will get back to you ASAP. Jackie 

21 likes, 377 replies

377 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Really there is nothing to worry about, we would all say so if it was grim. This site is so helpful.  I did feel odd for a while afterwards, I would say for a month but it has reduced, I guess the trauma. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi im due to have a cystoscopy at 2 this afternoon im getting myself in to a right state about it worrying it will hurt 
    • Posted

I was told I needed a cystoscopy and was really scared until I read these posts. I had the procedure yesterday and although it is embarrassing, it is painless and quick. Honestly, it is less uncomfortable than a smear test. My was done with one of the new HD cameras and they showed me the screen and told me what they were looking for. They also told me that it is normal for some people to have traces of blood in their urine.

I went out for a nice lunch with my sister afterwards and then slept for the rest of the afternoon. ?It did sting a bit when I went for a wee later, but by the evening I was fine.

I would like to say a big thank you to all the ladies who have contributed to this discussion as it put my mind at ease before the appointment.

• Posted

Hi im due to have a cystoscopy at 2 this afternoon im getting myself in to a right state about it worrying it will hurt 
    • Posted

Angie so sorry for the late reply! I promise you, you will be fine. I really am the biggest softy and wasted weeks worrying about this. You will look back on it afterwards and wonder why you worried so much. If I had to have another, I wouldnt lose a moments sleep over it now! Good luck and let me know how you got on. (((HUGS))) X
  • Posted

Had same today. Agree. Really not very painful. And quick. And so relieved all ok. Bit pain now as anesthetic (spelling?) Wear off
    • Posted

Yes I felt nothing until a couple of hours after I got home, then I had a littlebit of pain, like Period Pains really. Took some Paracetamol and it was gone by the time I woke in the morning. 
  • Posted

Thank you so much for easing my mind!  I am scheduled to have a cystoscope in two days.  Doc is also doing a pylegram (spelling?).I had a urethral stricture about 24 years ago and wasn't numbed for it.  Since I didn't know what to expect, I yelled out when it was being done...thank goodness they now numb the area!  I pray mine is as easy as yours was smile
    • Posted

Now I hope whatever they sedate me with, will alleviate most of the pain associated with having a cystoscopy...doc mentioned versed...don't take any prescription pills even though I will be sixty this year, so meds usually make me really woozy!
    • Posted

I'm sure it will be. Let me know how you get on Patty. And don't worry!  
    • Posted

It's an anaesthetic gel they insert into the opening of the Urethra. And that doesnt hurt at all. If I remember rightly, I think I took a couple of Paracetamol an hour or two before I went in!  wink
    • Posted

Will let you know, Jackie!  Thank you for responding...so happy I have found this site!  This all started a little more than a year ago when I felt stomache looked and felt bloated when getting up to urinate during the night.  Became a bit more frequent....went to Urologist last week...he said there was blood in my urine. He is taking pics and X-rays, too, during the procedure...just hope he finds the cause!  Again, thank you for your insight and support! smile
  • Posted

Came home about an hour ago from having the cystoscopy, uretheral  dilation and "pylo......" ( whatever they call the pics and x-rays they took at the same time.  I feel great!!  Even though doc told me about the gel (didn't feel it!) the sedation must have taken effect because I felt nothing during,before, after the procedure!!!  You are soooo VERY right, Jackie!!  I awoke like I had  just taken a nap....no pain (yet) and am remaining positive that none comes...a little blood in urine (to be expected).  Was told to relax rest of the day...feel like doing normal routine, but will listen---good excuse to read a book and let hubby pamper me smile. Thank you for your kindness ...this was nothing to worry about!!  God bless you!
    • Posted

That's great news Patty! I am so pleased the procedure went so well for you!!!! You may need to take some Paracetamol in a couple of hours as I got a bit of pain a few hours later, just like Period pain. But it went after I took the Paracetamol, and the next morning I was completely fine. Sleep well, and I hope your results are good news! X
    • Posted

Sorry I didn't respond until now ...doc said I had a moderate stricture...a fibroid (s) and my uterus have "dented" in my bladder causing me to have blood in my urine...said I may have to have a hysterectomy in the future.  (I seem to remember telling you that as you recommended the da Vinci method of surgery??).  Be healthy and thank you, again, for all of your help, Jackie smile. Hugs and smiles to you smile
    • Posted

You wrote that you awoke -- so you were under anesthesia. Of course you felt no pain.  I had the test and will never do it again without anesthesia.  extreme pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.