Female Cystoscopy ~ DON'T worry!!!!!

Posted , 99 users are following.

I had a Cystoscopy yesterday afternoon. I've known for about a month that I would have to have one and I have been worried sick about it. Found some awful posts on the net about it, and then fortunately found many reassuring posts on this forum! Trust me that when the ladies on here say "Don't worry"....DON'T! I've been so anxious, that I've lost sleep and my appetite over it. I was in and out of Theatre in 7 minutes!  I asked my husband to time it as I knew I wanted to do a review on here to help others, as it has been this forum that got me through it yesterday! 

You are in the position for a smear test for the procedure. Knees bent and apart and feet flat and together on the couch. So no stirrups (which I was glad about, as I hate that restriction, and I had expected that!) First they swab the area down, then insert the local anaesthetic. That just feels slightly cold, but not uncomfortable or painful. Then the camera is inserted, and again, that didnt hurt either. The nurse holding my hand told me it was in and then let me watch on the monitor. Whilst the camera is in, the surgeon fills your bladder with water so that he can see it all clearly. Within a couple of minutes, it's all done! I honestly wouldn't even say it was uncomfortable. You are aware something is going on, but certainly no pain. And if the surgeon told me he was going to do another Cystoscopy on me, I wouldnt lose a moments sleep over it!  I was given a cup of tea after the procedure, and sat and rested for a while, and once I had passed urine the nurses discharged me from the ward. I've been passing urine normally and it hasn't even stung, so I guess Ive been lucky. I had no pain until a couple of hours after the procedure, when I guess my anaesthetic had worn off. It was just like Period Pain. I took a couple of Paracetamol and it eased off, and today I am fine. 

So trust my post here! I am the biggest softy ever! And if I can do this you can too. Don't lose sleep over it, it's just not worth it! Ignore the horror stories you might come across on the net. It's easier and much less uncomfortable than a smear test! I am happy to help anyone I can over this procedure. If I've missed anything out and you have a question, just post on here and I will get back to you ASAP. Jackie 

21 likes, 377 replies

377 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

STOP WORRYING! IT WAS ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM.

I had a cystoscopy yesterday and was anxious to tell anyone who like me has been worrying themselves stupid for weeks about it.  A smear test has been more painful than the cystoscopy, Please don't do what I did and drive yourselves crazy with worry. Honestly it was no problem at all, over in minutes and completely painless. 

• Posted

hello. So I have to have a cystoscopy this Friday coming and it is safe to say I am absolutely crapping myself. I have no pain threshold what so ever.

Everything started about 6 weeks ago when I had severe abdominal pain, Dr was sure it was about her uti so he just prescribed anti biotics without checking. This was the friday. On he Sunday the pain was even worse so I went to a&e who told me to stop taking tablets and to sleep on it and get emergency Dr appointment to be referred. at this point there was a noticeable amount of blood in my urine and It was agony. I saw a nurse the next day who examined me properly and felt stomach and sides to which I cried. She was certain it was kidney stones so an emergency ct scan was organised for the following morning which found kidney stones. Since then I was signed off work and put onto diclofenac, zapain and tramadol. All at different times because the pain was so bad I couldn't walk or do anything.

I'm now getting extremely nervous and scared about friday.

• Posted

Bryony trust me you will be fine! I have no pain threshold either, and I never felt a thing! I didnt even feel the camera going in! Please dont lose any sleep over it. Its just not worth it!!! I worried myself sick for about a month over it. Got myself into a right state for nothing! Let us know how you get on. (((HUGS))) X
  • Posted

No worries "Bryon"----here in the united states and with the doctor who did my cystoscopy, the only thing I felt afterwards was a little soreness when I urinated about the first four or five times after the numbing meds. wore off!  I didn't even take any meds. for that soreness!  I was told to drink lots of water at least the first two hours....helped to flush out.  You will do fine....a Pap test hurts more than this!  Please let us know how you did...will keep you in my thoughts and prayers smile. not worth worrying about!!
  • Posted

Hi Jackie,

I too have to have this procedure next week & am freaking out but after reading these posts am slightly more at ease however what i would like to know is how exactly do they freeze the ureatha & is it painfull (yes i am a wimp).

• Posted

Hi Christine. They freeze the Urethra by inserting some anaesthetic gel into it. And it doesn't hurt one bit! You won't even feel them doing it! They don't use a needle, they just squeeze it in through a small syringe. Try to stay calm about it. I know it's hard not to worry, but don't. You'll just stress yourself out over nothing! It's just not worth the tears and anxiety. Let me know how you get on. P.S. I'm a wimp too!
    • Posted

Believe me, Jackie knows (and I do, too) that there is nothing to worry about.....Do let us know, please, how the procedure went for you so,that you can reassure others as we have!  You will do well!!

• Posted

Wimp or not, please be assured through all of us who have had a cystoscopy and were treated properly, had no pain during the procedure!!  I was given drugs here in the United States that made me not remember the procedure...had the numbing gel in addition.  Just a little soreness when I urinated the first four or five times after the numbness wore off...nothing to "write home about"...I could have taken an aspirin or Tylenol, but chose not to smile
  • Posted

Thank you both for the feedback, i am feeling more at ease now & will let you know next week how i got on.
  • Posted

I so appreciate your review on this forum!  Like you, I read a number of horror stories about having a cystoscopy.  Then, I stumbled onto this web site and your review!  What a relief!  I'm scheduled to have a cystoscopy and a retrograde pyelogram in 2 days.  I'm a recently retired nurse, and though I knew what was entailed having these procedures done, I wasn't sure how I would feel during the process regarding pain, etc.  I live in the USA and my urologist gave me a choice of having general anesthesia or a local.  I chose the local as there are more risks anytime general anesthesia is involved, and in the past I am always nauseous and vomiting after general anesthesia.  So, as the day of my procedure gets closer, I am mentally prepared to get through this thanks to your review and others here who have shared their experiences.  THANK YOU, Jackie!
    • Posted

You made the right choice, I believe, Barbara!  Even though I had this procedure done about thirty years ago without anything (guess they didn't sedate you back then!), the time involved wouldn't warrant to be put completely "out".  Awoke refreshed as if I had just had a nap...Versed and whatever else they gave me did the "trick"!  Didn't remember s thing and, most of all, didn't feel anything during the cystoscopy, pyelogram, and dilation! You will do well!!
    • Posted

Thank you, Patty for sharing your experience and for your encouragement! I'm so glad I found this forum.
    • Posted

Thank you Barbara! I really appreciate that. I wrote the review in as much detail as I could, as I thought if I can stop just one person going through the stress I have put myself through, then I will be happy. Over here they give a general anesthetic for a rigid cystocopy. Mine was a flexible one. Hope all goes well for you today Barbara. I am interested to hear about your experience of it. 
  • Posted

Hi, Jackie!

I wanted to let you know how my cystoscopy and retrograde pyelogram went yesterday.  (I had the rigid, and only the anesthetic gel; no Versed; nothing else).  The procedure went very well.  NO pain!  The only slight discomfort was when the Dr. applied the anesthetic gel, and I would compare that to having a pap smear done.  I never felt the other procedures being done.  As you know, burning with urinantion and slight "period type pain" is normal afterwards.   I found that after urination getting in the shower and applying warm water with my hand held shower head gave instant relief.  Like you, I took 2 Tylenol when I got home, kicked back in my recliner, and applied a warm "spa wrap" to my lower abdomen.  I had a very restful sleep.  This morning, I feel fine!  My usual self.  The burning and pain is gone.  I also got good results!  The only issue I have is a 9mm kidney stone.  This stone is caused from uric acid, not calcium so I will be on medication (a pill) which will dissolve it over time.  Again, I want to thank you and Patty for sharing your experiences and encouraging words.  I hope others who have to have these procedures will find this forum as I did, and their fears can be put to rest. 

Barbara

• Posted

That's great news Barbara! On both counts! Thanks for letting me know and for also being able to reassure others!!!! 
    • Posted

You are most welcome, Barbara!  Happy to help any and all who have questions about this procedure smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.