Female Cystoscopy ~ DON'T worry!!!!!

Posted , 99 users are following.

I had a Cystoscopy yesterday afternoon. I've known for about a month that I would have to have one and I have been worried sick about it. Found some awful posts on the net about it, and then fortunately found many reassuring posts on this forum! Trust me that when the ladies on here say "Don't worry"....DON'T! I've been so anxious, that I've lost sleep and my appetite over it. I was in and out of Theatre in 7 minutes!  I asked my husband to time it as I knew I wanted to do a review on here to help others, as it has been this forum that got me through it yesterday! 

You are in the position for a smear test for the procedure. Knees bent and apart and feet flat and together on the couch. So no stirrups (which I was glad about, as I hate that restriction, and I had expected that!) First they swab the area down, then insert the local anaesthetic. That just feels slightly cold, but not uncomfortable or painful. Then the camera is inserted, and again, that didnt hurt either. The nurse holding my hand told me it was in and then let me watch on the monitor. Whilst the camera is in, the surgeon fills your bladder with water so that he can see it all clearly. Within a couple of minutes, it's all done! I honestly wouldn't even say it was uncomfortable. You are aware something is going on, but certainly no pain. And if the surgeon told me he was going to do another Cystoscopy on me, I wouldnt lose a moments sleep over it!  I was given a cup of tea after the procedure, and sat and rested for a while, and once I had passed urine the nurses discharged me from the ward. I've been passing urine normally and it hasn't even stung, so I guess Ive been lucky. I had no pain until a couple of hours after the procedure, when I guess my anaesthetic had worn off. It was just like Period Pain. I took a couple of Paracetamol and it eased off, and today I am fine. 

So trust my post here! I am the biggest softy ever! And if I can do this you can too. Don't lose sleep over it, it's just not worth it! Ignore the horror stories you might come across on the net. It's easier and much less uncomfortable than a smear test! I am happy to help anyone I can over this procedure. If I've missed anything out and you have a question, just post on here and I will get back to you ASAP. Jackie 

21 likes, 377 replies

377 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sooo i had my Cystoscopy this morning & i just want to say it was PAINLESS, just like having a smear but without the pain. I was worried sick about having this done but seriously it's nothing & i'm the biggest baby out there when it comes to pain.

PS

All was clear too x

• Posted

So happy for you, Christine!! Why do we work ourselves up and always think the worst??  Guess it comes down to trusting people and understanding  that everyone's body is different...most of us, I think it is safe to say, won't have any pain because our doctor gave us the meds to avoid it smile. Yay for the "all clear", too!  God bless!
    • Posted

I'm so glad to hear your cystoscopy went well with NO pain!  I'm also happy that you got the "all clear", too!  smile
    • Posted

Wonderful news Christine!!!!! Isn't the worrying about the procedure, a total waste of time?!!!! I barely slept for a month before having mine! And all through rubbish I had read on the internet! x
    • Posted

It was so nice seeing all of your positive experiences. I just had my first one after a kidney stone shockwave procedure and I was under general and I feel so violated. Like I was splayed open for the staff to see. Now I feel like I have to pee constantly. I wasnt told they would be doing it so Im just trying to feel better about the whole situation. Any adivce?
  • Posted

Thanks Patty,

It was this forum that helped a great deal & now hopefully i have helped someone too x

• Posted

I live in the USA. I am to have this proceudre done this Thursday and I am terrified! Actually losing sleep and feeling sick and anxious all the time about it. I was at the urologist last week and he did a bladder drain on me where he stuck a baby sized catheter inside to check if my bladder was empyting completely. That hurt! And trust me when I say I have a really high pain tolerance, two children with not epidurals during labor, many medical procedures (some without sedation) and surgeries. I am not one to even take pain meds when prescribed them as I typically can just get by with Tylenol or a heating pad to alleviate pain.

But the catheter inside my urethra was no picnic and I am crying imagining what this camera will be like! The doctor told me that it would feel the same as the catheter, so now I am even more scared.

What I was reading was that some doctors use sedation, but mine does not. I was thinking of taking some anti anxiety meds before hand. I am just so terrified and I have never been this afraid of any medical procedure ever, even major surgery!

I feel like a total wimp. I am feeling a bit of relief reading these posts, but I am still so scared. I wonder why a catherter would hurt but a camera would not, maybe he didn't numb me for the catheter? Will he for sure numb me for the camera?

• Posted

Andrea---I live in the USA, too.  Believe me when I say that I don't like taking meds and I have a high tolerance for pain also!  Was 37 hours in labor with first son---pushed nearly 4 hrs. before they did a C-section---we are tough women smile  I would call your doc an ask him/her exactly what they are going to give you for pain.  I was given Versed (so I wouldn't remember) and they also put a gel on me down there.  No problems--just a little soreness the first few times I peed.  I awoke from dilation, camera, and whatever else was done, feeling refreshed!  It is your body----fear of the unknown is, like anything, worse than the actual procedure!!  No worries---please call your doc--you are entitled to that at least!!!  Change doctor if your doc won't give you pain med(s) --how would your doc like it to be done to them without any medication??? Sorry, don't know why camera wouldn't hurt as much as catheter--doesn't make sense to me (not to scare you). Please let me know how you do!  Will be thinking of you!

Patty

• Posted

They said they aren't giving me anything, but that I could take Tylenol beforehand if I was afraid of pain. Is the numbing part standard for this procedure?

I think I may take some anti anxiety meds beforehand.

• Posted

Yes, he will numb you for the camera Andrea. He will insert an anaesthetic gel. I never felt a thing! I was like you and totally stressed myself out about it all. Crying and having panic attacks. Also loss of sleep, and what a complete waste of time all that was! And it all came from reading horror stories on the internet! That was the reason why I wrote my post in as much detail as I could. As I thought, if I can just help one person through this procedure, then my job is done! And I would like to think I have helped a few! Let us know how it goes Andrea. I'll be thinking of you. (((HUGS))) X
    • Posted

Please trust Jackie, I and many others who have had this procedure done---waste of time worrying about it!!  I would definitely take something beforehand if doc isn't going to give you anything!!   Hmmm....wonder why he doesn't like giving meds??  Is he/she going to do procedure in their office?   I had mine done  in the same day surgery department of our local hospital.  Puzzled as to why he won't give you anything....
    • Posted

Yes Patty is right! Trust us! I took some Paracetamol before I went in. I also took a herbal remedy to help me calm down. Bachs Rescue Remedy. X
    • Posted

Yes he's doing it in his office. I'm going to take anti anxiety meds. They said he will numb me. When I got home last week after the catheterization, it hurt to pee for a few hours. Nothing too bad. So if I have pain when I get home I'll take some pain relievers. I can take a pain killed beforehand. But I don't want to overreact.

My friend said she was given nothing, not even numbed up, for hers and she said it wasn't bad at all. I hope I have as trauma free an experience as all of you!!!

• Posted

Hi Jackie, Like many others, when a medical issue arises I turn to the internet for help. I was happy to find your information. Your posts and those of others is helping me to cope with the fear and dread I am now experiencing.

Two weeks ago there was blood in my urine but no pain or discomfort when urinating. It is not caused by a UTI and the pelvic and abdominal ultrasound is not showing any obvious reason for this. I had a complete hysterectomy 7 years go so that system is not obscuring anything in the ultrasound. The bleeding has continued so now I am being referred to a urologist for further testing which will include a cystoscopy. I am terrified not only of the test but also of the reason for the bleeding. I do have a kidney stone but the ultrasound suggests that it probably is not the reason for the bleeding. My husband died 25 years ago when we were quite young...42....from melanoma. I have raised our children and am now 69 and terrified of cancer. Thank you for teliing me that the test is not something that I will need to fear. That relieves some of my anxiety. 

Has anyone else had symptoms similar to mine? Thank you to anyone who has any info to supply. It will be greatly appreciated. I have read so much on the internet already and cannot seem to find any plaisible explanations. I hope the urologist can help.

• Posted

Hi Marilyn! My experience is like yours! I'd had 3 samples of urine taken over a period of a few months, all showed a trace of blood. I had no symptoms of anything, no pain, nothing! Had my Cystoscopy which showed nothing. And the samples of urine I have had taken since then have all been clear. The consultant who did my Cystoscopy told me on my post op visit to him, that this "just happens with some people". And no explanation for it. Im guessing that just having my bladder flushed out during the Cystoscopy, must have done some good. Dont worry about your procedure, like I did.....its a total waste of energy. I tied myself in knots over it. If I was told I had to have one again, I wouldnt worry for a moment, its just not worth it. I found it a totally painless procedure. Let us know how you get onMarilyn. Jackie  
    • Posted

Thanks Jackie for your quick reply. Interesting that your situation has been so similar to mine. Twice in the past three weeks the blood has been visible, but just for a few hours, then clear again. These events followed periods of extreme outdoor work that included lifting. I am very physically active and it is FINALLY warm here in Ontario, Canada so I have been working on my garden and painted my swimming pool.

I appreciate your insight and reassurance regarding the test. I will certainly let you know what transpires at the urologist appointment. I am waiting to hear when that will be.

Is it OK for me to ask in what country you reside?

Again, thank you so much for your guidance. You were so kind to post your experience for the benefit of others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.