22 years old and polycythemia.

Posted , 4 users are following.

my HB is 18

RBC count is 6.3

WBC and PLT normal.

HCT is 56

at 18 age when i was first tested my HB by 17.6( before that i had not been tested)

last year it was 17.9 and 17.5 in two different tests.

my EPO is 12.4

i am jak2 negative

my ferritin is low.

sometimes i feel headache, pins and needles.

not really tired.

i dont smoke or drink

what that could be ?

PRV or what??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

We are not qualified doctors. Your best bet is to ask the opinion of a qualified haematologist.

Good luck.

• Posted

My advice would be to drink at least two litres of water a day, eat foods that are rich in iron and try to relax and enjoy life a little.

• Posted

Haematocrit is a word that describes the viscosity of your blood. The higher the number, the thicker the blood. Many possible reasons for having viscous blood, one of which, in a healthy person, is dehydration. Drinking liquids throughout the day keeps dehydration at bay.

Again, I would urge you to get professional advice.

• Posted

bharat . Hi, I have PV. which is positive for jak2 gene mutation. However after researching PRV, I think it is caused by something. It requires your doctor, Hematologist, to try to determine what that something could be. I believe the Hematologist will test you periodically, and at some point may find out what is causing the PRV. Since you are young, your treatment is probably not very aggressive, and hopefully you will discover the cause. Best wishes, harrishill.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.