A new reflux treatment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hopefully this NHS link will be accepted. it is a few years old and something my have come of it. I have also read of other 'stomach acemakers' being fiitted.

This study is intended to demonstrate the safety and effectiveness of the EndoStim® Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES) Stimulation System in the treatment of subjects with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease results from acid reflux or chronic heartburn and often requires lifelong treatment. Patients experience backflow of gastric contents from the stomach into the oesophagus, causing symptoms such as heartburn and regurgitation. Many patients also experience disrupted sleep due to symptoms, despite taking medications. Patients with severe symptoms are generally prescribed long-term daily medication.

Chronic oesophageal reflux may lead to serious damage. Possible complications include oesophageal inflammation, ulcers or bleeding, or the development of asthma. Untreated oesophageal inflammation can lead to a pre-cancerous condition called Barrett’s oesophagus.

We are looking for subjects diagnosed with pathological GERD as defined by acidic pH and who continue to have chronic GERD symptoms despite maximum medical therapy. It is designed as a multicentre, randomized, double-blind, sham-controlled study.

EndoStim therapy is a minimally-invasive treatment option for GERD patients suffering from severe symptoms. EndoStim therapy uses low energy electrical stimulation to restore the function of the lower oesophageal sphincter (LES). A healthy LES typically prevents reflux symptoms without affecting normal oesophageal functions such as swallowing or belching. Most GERD patients who have been treated with EndoStim therapy experience significantly reduced reflux symptoms such as heartburn and regurgitation, without the need to continue daily GERD medication.

The EndoStim device consists of a stimulator, similar to a pacemaker, and two electrodes connected to an implantable lead. Through a simple laparoscopic or “keyhole” procedure, the EndoStim electrodes are placed on the lower oesophageal sphincter, and the EndoStim stimulator is placed in the abdomen. The stimulator automatically delivers therapy to the electrodes throughout each day, but patients typically cannot feel the stimulation.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Are you going to try this new treatment?

I have had acid (Gerd )most of my life since I was 18.

EndoStim therapy sound interesting. Recently I have noticed lost of feeling in below my knees a numbness. Yesterday I had a Blatter test done. For years we men are told of a prostrate problem. Had Euro Lift done to restrain the prostrate to make room for urin flow.

So what does all that me to me. The results in the blatter test determined I have a lost in from Nerve damage. The prostate may not have been my problem all these years. But a blatter problem.

As I looked for medicine I have taken, Omeprazole from other users has effected NEVER DAMAGE.

But what do I about Acid (Gerd). Best option I see is take half of what I need to stop (Gerg) Or look into this new (EndoStim therapy.

Thanks for the Knowledge of the procedure.

• Edited

Quote " . Recently I have noticed lost of feeling in below my knees a numbness."

With your various bladder and prostate problems were you at any time prescribed Cipro or Fluoroquinolone antibiotics. They can cause various types of neuropathy and nerve damage particularly affect the tendons. The damage is not always right away but after several spread out doses. In my case after initial tendonitis the three times it was prescribed it took time to return.

My Cipro neuropathy problem was dormant after the initial tendonitis until a follow up antibiotic CLARITHROMYCIN and the cardiac drug Bisopprolol each later triggered a wider range of symptoms.

There is a forum for people affected Cipro and fluoroquinolone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.