ache in legs, back pain -worried

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had a dull ache deep in my legs - really top of thighs/buttock area since xmas. When I go up a lot of stairs it hurts all the way down the back of them to my ankle and the same if I walk up a hill. The ache started as a stabbing pain then it went and I was left with a constant ache. I also get occasional discomfort in the middle or top of my back and my neck - like stabbing pains. Sometimes the top of my left arm aches.

I have had blood tests for rheumatic/ muscular conditions and a full blood count which have all come back clear and GP gave me anti-inflammatories which have no effect.

I am starting to panic its something serious as it wont go away and its making me feel depressed and angry as I just want it to go.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like it may be sciatica have the doctors ruled this out?
    • Posted

No they havent mentioned it. Dont know if you can test for that? Anyway not sure if it would cause me to have a dull ache in my thigh/buttock that never goes away?
    • Posted

That is what sciatica does it runs from your back to your bu
  • Posted

thats is what sciatica does though it runs anywhere from the back down to your buttock area and all down your legs it is very painfull my uncle has had this and it runs all down his back buttock area and legs theres no cure for it but painkillers can help reduce the pain and physcio i would mention this to your doctor google the symptoms of sciatica 
  • Posted

Hi beck3076

You may have neurological pain. Its different to ordinary pain as pain killers and anti-inflammatories do nothing for it. You want a neurological painkiller such as Nortriptyline and suchlike. It also serves as an antidepressant. For neuro pain it is only taken for about three months, it also helps you sleep when you have the pain.  For depression it is taken over a longer period.

You don't mention how old you are as you may have an orthopaedic problems with your hips as you experience pain in your thighs and  buttocks in which case you wil need xrays... I suggest going back to  you GP and discuss it with him/her..and ask for a second opinion....best wishes...

• Posted

i just looked and this what it says

pain in the buttock or leg that is worse when sitting

burning or tingling down the leg

weakness numbness diffculty moving the leg or foot

a constant pain on one side of the buttock

a shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up

• Posted

sciatica is also a nerve thing and thats probably why pain killer arent helping you will need perscribed painkillers for sciatica
  • Posted

Hello I am 62 and have been having pain different places for 20years now, A lot of people will tell you one thing then another and about all the different drugs, well everyone is different I have osteoarthritis and what suits one person may not suit another, I have worried myself sick with pain in different parts of my body but it goes away then comes back in a different place, I know with myself if I worry then I feel ten times worse at the moment I have difficulty getting down the stairs ok going up which is quite amusing, for a week I had return of excruciating neck pain which was affecting swallowing, now that has gone, but I always have it in lower back and left shoulder hands and lower arms, hang in there, I hope you can get some relief from your pain... Lyn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.