acid reflux and Barretts

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had acid reflux for about 15 years and was diagnosed with Barretts no dysplasia last Feb ,,been taking omeprazole 40mg a day ,2 months ago was also told had a h/hernia ,,over a period of 3 mths my reflux has getting worse and have a sore neck ,went docs this morn ..changed medication to lanzoprazole,, 30mg ,,,will this work better ?? I feel like nothing gets explained or done to help ...at a loss at min ..,what do I do ?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda I am like you been on omprezole now ranitidine and waiting to see a consultant private next Friday to see why I have all this acid reflux, I have heard that lazzoprazole is a better acid inhibitor but I want to find out if any thing else going on as I am fit 52 don't drink smoke excercise loads, eat no red meat or fat but still getting this acid in upper abdomen and throat and a gnawing pain, I find that omprezole and ranitidine hasn't worked , but I am currently only taking gaviscone peppermint in case he want to do test, is the only way an endescope ? To find out 
    • Posted

Hi Joanne ...thanks for reply...I do know there is various things..endoscopy..barium swallow/meal and a few other things I'm not really sure on ,,sorry not much help in that one ,but I think having endoscopy a good thing if your worried that things are going on ..try not to worry to much and I hope all goes well
    • Posted

Hi Joanne ...thanks for reply...I do know there is various things..endoscopy..barium swallow/meal and a few other things I'm not really sure on ,,sorry not much help in that one ,but I think having endoscopy a good thing if your worried that things are going on ..try not to worry to much and I hope all goes well
    • Posted

Hi Joanne ,,thanks for reply ..There is several ways ..some I'm not sure on but endoscopy is a good thing as can also pick up Barretts oesophagus ,there is also barium swallow/meal..if you feel something isn't quite right then please listen to your body and getting it looked at best thing to do ..hope everything goes well ...
    • Posted

Sorry you've had 3 post lol . it wouldn't register reply . all same info ,,just rejigged ,,sorry
    • Posted

Thanks Amanda yes best to get a properly diagnosed, Dr so quick just to put you on medication and not actually see why you experiencing acid reflux, many people have this condition and I get big flare up like now so I have decided to go and see and get some tests to put my mind at rest. Hope the lanprozole works for you, I do believe the better of the acid inhibitors but they always try a cheaper version first to cut costs . 
    • Posted

Hi Joanne ,,,yes your right ,,Dr,very quick just to put ppl on medication ...after my visit to gp today ,,think I've lost faith sadly ..but will take meds as usual ....good luck next Fri ...let me know how you get on
  • Posted

Yes thanks Amanda bit nervous not to keen on having an endescope but driving every one up the wall with my moaning , I am ok it's just you start thinking all sorts when you don't know what it is, I know I shouldn't Google or even go on forum but it helps to see others who get acid GERD , it's only the consultation next fri but I am sure they will run tests . Good luck with med I am sure they will work, I have heard like I said a better acid inhibitor than the omprezole.x
  • Posted

Hello Amanda, Im sorry you have been like this, Just wanted to say that I know what it is like when Doctors dont help or explain, I cant even get a appointment to see a doctor.Unless you go private which is very expensive. My very best wishes to you, only wish I could help....sorry. Pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.