Anti Inflamatory Medications...may damage your stomach lining!

Posted , 3 users are following.

For decades now I have refused anti inflammatory medications as they damage your stomach lining. I was offered them on countless occasions as a weapon against sarcoid.

Recently a GP new to me who has a relative with sarcoid said "I understand you concern, why not take a medication to settle and protect your stomach whilst taking anti inflammatory medications"

I did this for two months and noted some success, not a cure but an improvement. My ferrintin levels have reduced slightly for the first time ever.

I have gone back to her and increased the dose. Too early to report to you at this stage if there have been any more improvements.

I found this interesting and perhaps may help other sufferers.

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Following is a post I placed on another topic which I feel also should be posted here as the subject matter is very similar.

Hi Helpless

I quote you as saying

"Currently suffering with terrible joint stiffnes so much so that when I try to stand after sitting at my desk at work it takes several moments to be able to straighen up.  Lower legs and ankles are extremly bloated and struggle to get shoes on".

That is exactly my problem...I could not have said it any better myself.

My lastest news is a mixed bag of good and bad.

For the first time in decades I can see some detail in my knees and ankles even though that detail is slight as in now where near complete. This has been really great and I am walking a lot more and even lossing some weight which is always good.

The meds I listed before have now been a part of a long discussion between my family GP and myself. I have had improvements in my knees and ankles 

BUT my family doctor has worned me that long term use my cause problems with kidneys, heart, liver and fluid retention.

So I am now going through a six week program of taking myself off those wonder drugs in consideration of my long term health.

Wish I could have my cake and eat it aswell!!!

Very frastrating.

Tangles

• Posted

Hi Tangles, well that sounds a positive start to the new year, withdrawing the meds that worry you. The quote you included about stiff joints has been my experience for over 10 years. I describe it as if the elastic has gone out of my joints/muscles/ligamnets, and I have to "get going" after a period of stillness, sometimes just sitting in a chair for a couple of minutes takes a while, however it is much much better now as it doesnt always happen, but I never had swelling anywhere except my knees.

I have been trying to find a natural alternative to omeprazol, taking it for 3 weeks and it has completely removed the pains I had in stomach etc so I think it has healed whatever needed healing, will carry on for a couple more weeks. The natural alternative I found included raw veg juices which I already use, however they suggested drinking 4 pints a day. WOW. I drink a cup full a day, sometimes twice a day, so will increase it, but I dont think I could manage 4 pints......

I have also tried to stop the ibuprofen which I use to reduce the liquid in my lungs, but it wasnt succesful so back on those with antihistamines and decongestant. Hope I can find a natural solution to them as well, having said that, I have been having my cake and eating lots of it over the christmas holidays. Must stop it and get back to eating sensibly again. Hope your knees continue to improve.

• Posted

Hi Earthia

Your description of the discomfort "the elastic has gone"

is spot on.

You and "Helpless" have a great gift for words.

On the positive side and in the natural remedies area. I am pleased to say that over the last three months I have reduced my weight from 93kgs to 85.5ks. 

Mind you christmas was hard with all those great foods around. Yes, I did fall of the wagon during that time but starting to get back to a good diet now.

This weight reduction is helping my knees alot. Also, general health is also improving. My lung capacity has also had a big increase. Prehaps helped also with the testoserone suppliment program I am currently on.

Overall health is heading in right direction I can only hope that I reach some of my goals.

Trust your health for 2015 will be good and hopefully even some improvements for you.

Great to hear from you 

Happy new year

Regards

Tangles

• Posted

Oh no, I meant I need to loose 24 to 36 pounds not kilos, oh dear I must stop translating pounds and kilos, disaster when making cakes !!!
  • Posted

Hi Tangles, well I am assuming you are male because of the testosterone treatment so I wont persue that, ha ha. but perhaps I have made the wrong assumption, after all it is a hormone which seem to "run" our bodies, male and female.

Glad to hear about your weight. It is such an important element of our illness, I too have began a new year with renewed desire to eliminate as many pills as possible and loose weight. I could do with getting rid of 24 kgs at least, 36 would be ideal.

I have been reading up on the effects of coughing on the digestive system, i.e. stomach contents pushed up towards the throat and down into the bowel. The omeprazole stops acid production so protects the delicate lining of the throat, but and I didnt realise this, the reduced acid in the stomach means we can't get all the goodness out of our food, and stomach acid kills bacteria that is in normal food. Without that we may be more suceptable to stomach infections. Which is worse, I dont know, wish I did.

Do you and others feel it is a constant juggling game?

I didnt take the omeprazole last night and I have noticed the old pains in my upper stomach, or is it just my imagination? I just have to laugh at myself sometimes..

I have made myself a promise to do more exercise, not down the gym or anything but just some stretching and lifting a few cans of beans, ha ha. If I dont use my body then it will stop knowing how to work. Sometimes everything seems such an effort but I must remember how lucky I am, I could be much worse.

Anyway If I can say anything that helps someone else then that is a bonus.

Have a healthy day today.

• Posted

Hi Earthia

Yes, I am a male.

Tangles gives it away a bit I think. Talking about fishing which of course we were not. I am going in a fishing competition over the next two weeks and will be missing in action as far as this web site is concerned. So I will be giving you all a break for a while, enjoy.

I will continue with the omeprazole for now but will soon cut it in halve for two weeks then get off it as the imflamatory meds Inza will be finished by then.

I have lost 7.5 kgs or approx 15lbs and feeling good for it.

However I want to loss double that amount, so lots of work to be done in 2015.

Yes, it is a juggling act balance your health and your meds along with weight and exercise if you want to stay on top of things.

If you have any easy way around all of that then let us all know please.

Regards

Tangles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.