Any advice on hip problems please??

Posted , 8 users are following.

My 14 year old daughter (who is very tall and slim) has been suffering on and of with hip/knee pains for a couple of months now. It started with her left hip and knee, some days it wasn't to bad, other days she would be in a lot of pain and limping. She was also having "spasms" where she would be walking along, and her leg would just seize up leaving her unable to move for a few minutes. I made a gp appointment for her (it was a locum doctor) who said it was probably growing pains and sent her away with ibuprofen. They did not help! Then she started complaining of worse pain in the right hip and knee and limping more. One night last week she was up all night with the pain, and in the morning she was limping badly (and walking on her tip toe) Her right hip also seemed "twisted". Her leg and foot were turned inwards and she was unable to straighten it. I called her gp again who asked me to take her straight down. Her gp examined her, and sent us straight to the hospital to have x-rays of her hips done. I called up yesterday and was told her x-rays were normal. I am now at a loss as what to do! I feel I don't just want to leave it because her x-ray was normal. It just does not seem normal for a young healthy girl to suffer pain like this!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi

It is always so stressful when you see your child in pain but the GP just doesn't seem to be able to help. Have you tried to get a second opinion?

After a quick search, I came across this article https://patient.info/doctor/painful-hips-in-children .

Hope you get an answer soon.

• Posted

I think I might go back to doctor. It just seems a bit strange. Thanks for the link, I have had a quick look and looked up a few of the conditions on there, some can apparently be missed on initial x-rays. Just worried that, if there is something going on, it could get worse without treatment
  • Posted

I have had the exact same problem as your daughter,, I had a fall where i think i sprained my back, i suffered leg spasms for a period of about a month, my situation deteriorated after these spasms,that left me limping all the time my right foot pointed outwards, knee pain, hip pain, leg weakness, i tried all sorts of drugs all to no avail.i started to believe i had twisted my pelvis as my whole body seemed twisted, hip pain was deep deep inside my joint, xrays..always clear.I was unable to walk properly for months.doctors never treated me.. NOW THE SOLUTION..... when we suffer spasms in the the leg for example the muscle contracts, if left untreated the muscle will never relax, trigger points will form within the muscle, pulling the body in all different directions,causing limping, joint pain, deep pain, radiating pain. your daughter's muscle in her leg is contracted and it needs releasing.the problem is not with her hip or her knee, it is the surrounding muscles refusing to relax..i suggest you take her to a manual physiotherapist who will find the trigger points and release them. you are 100% correct when you say there is something going on and believe me from experience if it's left untreated it will get worse. I never went to physio i released the muscle myself, one word of warning It hurts, trigger points are stubborn and hidden, give your daughter a massage feel deep in the muscle, you will feel them, check her everywhere, her leg,her hamstrings,her calf muscles, her back, her hip, her groin.Goodluck i believe in my heart this is your daughters problem.
  • Posted

Thanks for the reply smile I have actually wondered if the problem was something to do with her back. As I said before, she is quite tall (5ft 8.5") and very skinny and the top of her spine curves over a bit (like a slight hunch back) but no doctor has ever seen this as a problem. Don't know if this can affect anything?? You can actually see her right hip jutting out way further than the left, even through clothing??
  • Posted

The doctor asked if she had suffered any injury, to which she answered no. But thinking back a good few months ago, she had been out with friends and had been sitting on the grass in the park, legs crossed and leaning forwards, when one of her friends came running up behind her (with the intent of giving her a fright) But her friend had tripped and fell, slamming right down onto the top of my daughters back. She came home in pain and crying, everything looked ok, and next day she was still a bit sore, but she said she was ok? Does anyone think this may have done anything??? She has also recently said a couple of times about pain in her chest area? (from her shoulders right down to her rib area) I am soo confused!!
  • Posted

when i fell over i actually suffered no symptoms, infact at the time i thought i broke my wrist, and when the doctor asked me if i had had an accident or a fall i also answered no!!! as i just didn't put 2 and 2 together!! i guess with a fall or an accident or in your daughters case someone slamming on to her back, can cause the muscles to kind of go into shock, and that is when the problems arise, and when its muscle pain/trigger points they creep up so slowly you dont even realize that there is a problem until its too late.and you fail to connect the dots as the pain doesn't start immediately. the pain from her shoulders to her ribs could all be connected, right down to the pain in her hip and knee, all the muscles are attached remember. when i used to rub a trigger point deep in my back/buttock area, i would wake up the next day unable to turn my head coz my neck was so stiff! go figure?! like i said in my first post..check check and check again,check yourself if the trigger points are there, which i believe they are 100% you will find them. forget doctors as in my experience they knew absolutely nothing about my problem, how to fix it or even what the cause was, don't be scared to apply pressure, your daughters hip is jutting out because contracted muscles are keeping it in that position, until you find the contracted muscle wherever it may be, she will remain that way, you may disbelieve when i say that its muscles causing pain that feels like it is within the hip and the knee,and its muscles distorting her body,, but trust me i know smile
  • Posted

I think it's possible your daughter had AVN AVASCULAR NECROSIS. I have the same problems that your daughter has with pain in my Hips. With AVN it cannot be detected in early stages with a X-Ray. She needs to get a MRI. If she is diagnosed with AVN let me know there are ways to improve the pain without surgery. Some Doctors will say surgery is the only way but there wrong Im living proof!!

• Posted

First ?. Did she received any steroid or Prednizone or Solumedrol, given for whatever reason? Trama? Hormone imbalance? Drug use, including alcohol and nicotine? (Have to ask and be truthful!) Other legal Rx.'s, over the counter drug's? Herbal medicine and supplement's?

You cannot always diagnose AVN with any type of X-Ray, MRI, Bone or Bone Density Scane. I had 7 different Dr.'s tell me I don't and did! Get in contact with _____ (link broken) From there you should get a better idea of what kind of options you have.The only way to confirm, is wait, a bone core decompression or bone core tap. I would definitely do the tap to confirm, Then proceed from there. If it's as bad or gotten worse, I would go for the adult growth adjustment hip replacement. So she can grow and have small adjustment's made with less invasive surgery and is already fitted for and adult size, when and if needed down the road. Think ahead! This disease has no discriminations! It hits when, where and how it wants too. They're are lots of information on the Internet, but make sure it is up to date. Go through a University Medical center, they will have the next up to date, experience, options and equipment, to do a better job for the long run.  Ask the Dr. about anything and everything. Remember their is no such thing as a stupid question! Just stupid people, who don't know, or answer stupid questions! Read up on AVN/ON, Chronic Pain and associated diseases, Osteonecrosis, CRPD, and other complication. Contrary to popular belief or opinion, Dr.s don't know everything, and are not God's! Even though most Dr.'s I've worked with have GC. God Complex! It will get better. The hardest part is the first step! If you have an ?'s just ask, if I don't know, I'll find out.

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an URL (a link) from this reply as it was unsuitable for inclusion (broken, unresponsive, unrecoverable) within these forums. If any user is interested in this removed information they should contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361

• Posted

Hi my daughter has been diagnosed as suffering with avascular necrosis of the ball joint in her hip.  She is 17 and the surgeon is suggesting a bone grafted from her pelvis to her ball joint   This will mean shecwont be allowed to bear weight on the joint for over 3 months which given her life style ie college and people rushing past her etc i think very worrying as she can be knocked and if her weight goes onto this before it is strong enough will ruin any chances of success.  Was thinking a hip replacement may be more suitable. What do you think. 
  • Posted

Hi there.i am suffering from the same pain from last two years.it was diagnosed with avn both hips.the same pain ur daughter suffering.i had done bone grafting for my right Hip as it was damaged 65%..after surgery I experianced the Same pain in my right knee and it grows further that I cant bear anymore.i consulted many surgeons regarding this.all they say is total hip replacement.but I dont want to go for it as my age is just 24 years.right know I am going through physiptherapy.i say it is working.it decreased the pain but not the.limping.so hoping it will get cure by pt.
  • Posted

This sounds very similar to my 14 year son.. we have a family history of perthes disease and this is what your daughter sounds like might be experiencing. We had to get xrays but came back normal, frustrated i asked for second opinion... good luck with everything

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.