any advice please...so torn with what to do

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I have had horrible chest pains/indigestion for months..I tried changing my diet for 6 months but could not make it work...went on omeprazole and have felt better this past month...all my coworkers say to stay on it if it helps but everything online says how horrible it is causing bacterial growth in the small intestines...I know one thing, I can't take the chest pains that last for hours during the night and i'm so afraid now to stop the meds and go back to that...so confused...does anyone have any words of wisdom

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I take Omeprazole regularly as I take an anti inflammatory. There are side effects to all drugs and everyone reacts differently. If they work for you why stop?
    • Posted

Thank you, I needed that advice....it does work for me...i just get confused ...the packet says don't take for more that 4 weeks but docs say you can take them long term
    • Posted

Hi again dane. Don't worry about the 4 week thing. Lots of people, myself included take them for much longer. I think if we all read the side effects of every drug we took most of us wouldn't take anything.
  • Posted

not everyone gets  side effects if your ok on them carry on better than chest pain ive been on them for 18 years with very slight effects hope this helps 
    • Posted

what about the bacterial overgrowth of the small intestines, did your doc ever say anything about that...can you tell I'm a hyprocondriac!!!
  • Posted

no never mentioned it b ut having no chest pain or heart burn i will just take that chance always a chance of side effects with what ever you take 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.