Anyone successful using PPI's to prevent ulcers when taking NSAIDS?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am an athlete and occasionally develop inflammation of my knee from overuse... and it doesn't go away.

I can't take NSAIDS because they have given me ulcers/stomach issues in the past.

The doctor now suggests combining them with PPI's to prevent the ulcers.

I'm scared to do it because the ulcers were horrific and don't want them again!

Has anyone been in a similar situation and been successful with the PPI/NSAID combo?

Lance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am having a hard time with this. I would ask the doctor for literature for this or get a second opinion. . I do not know how this combination is supposed to prevent ulcers. Am I misunderstanding the question? They make NSAIDS that are COX selective inhibitors that help with minimizing GI effects of NSAIDS.

• Posted

Hi,

I ha e osteoarthritis in my knees. I have to get shots due to having stomach ulcers in the past like you I can't take anything by mouth to ease the pain. I was put on Prilosec as I was diagnosed with GERD. I do occasionally take Tylenol and I haven't had any problems. I do limit taking Tylenol just on case. I am happy to report that I don't have any GERD issues since taking the Prilosec. I have found the use of CBD topical cream that includes MSM has worked great on the knee pain. Hope my response helps.

• Posted

I would not recommend it. NSAIDS caused my ulcers and I have been on PPI for a couple of years. I was given Tylenol after knee replacement. My PMR dr gave me a NSAIDS salve for shoulder pain and it caused ulcer pain. Instructions advised not to take with ulcers. I, too, do not want ulcer to re-occur!!

• Posted

celecoxib is supposed to be the best nsaid for a sensitive stomach, but you need to take them a few times to feel a result.

I take esomeprazole daily because I suffer with reflux and I had gastritis and oesophagitis as well as a hiatus hernia. I take an extra dose if I need to use an anti inflammatory for something. If you are really worried take 40g of esomeprazole rather than 20g. I have tried nearly all of the ppi tablets and esmeprazole is the best and works for most patients when others don't. You can also take ranitidine and rennie at the same time if you need to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.