Anyone tried Rabeprazole?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Thanks for all the replies and support I got last week. Next in my trial and error ordeal is Rabeprazole. Has anyone had good results with this for LPR? Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jeanne, I was taking Rabeprazole for several (over 3 years), it worked great for me, no side effects but, I have a problem with dyes, so I stopped taking a bunch of my pills that were yellow, red & green... so, I then switched to Pantoprazole for another 2years...it was light yellow & linked to my migraines(dyes again)...So now I am back on esomeprazole...it works great, too...all you can do is try them and if they dont work or you cannot take them for whatever reason...you can always try another...I hope it works out for you, Good Luck & BEST WISHES💒🌈🎶♾💞🐾🍀☮💐

• Posted

Thanks for replying, sgt.lindalee. Nice to hear from you. sounds like you've had plenty of experience with ppis! Everyone I have tried has been a failure. I do not know if this is down to not having GERD or just anxiety. I go hysterical when I get a symptom I do not recognise and the doctor tells me to come off. Then I go through the agonies of rebound which none of my doctors say exists! it makes me so scared to try another. I wonder whether the dose is too low but they say if you double it you'll get twice the side effects. The present situation in the country means accessing healthcare urgently is a lot more complicated which doesn't help. Do you have definite GORD? My symptoms are mainly very sore throat which makes eating very difficult and, more recently, regurgitation and stuff spasming into throat. Could be due to two entirely different diseases. I've been given several medicines to choose from but I haven't the knowledge or courage to know which to pick. I try not to read the side effects but when it says cough pharyngitis and flu like symptoms and increased risk of infection it does make me concerned at the moment

I have never felt any benefit but imagine unless you are taking them for heartburn it will take longer for the throat to heal. Thank you for your help. It was your support in the Anxiety forum which encouraged me to actually try at all. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Jeanne, I have a sliding hiatal hernia, so there is no sphincter to keep the acid from coming up, and the upper part of my stomach goes up into my chest about nipple level(of course the girls are a bit saggier now, so not as high as you'd think...lol) acid comes up all the way to my mouth, I have had redness/pain in my oesophagus, really sore & raw throat/tongue, hoarseness(gets pretty bad), chest pain, feels like lump in my throat/chest, pressure, gas pain, burning, everything you can think of, multiple scopes, barium swallows &tests galore....and now after an open surgery1992(7in scar)then it got torn out 1994 , (4in repair) ...I am worse than before because I have adhesions/scarring so bad I have chronic pain and disabled in addition to the original problem, the surgeries failed...so I have tried a lot of the ppis, h2 blockers, anti-gas, antacids, OTC & RX....remember when they list those side effects, they are EVERY side effect ANY yahoo decided to report, they don't see if they are related to OTHER meds or follow up to see if its used properly & etc...plus everybody is different, I find some of the side effects DO go away after a few days to weeks, if you can hang in there, you can increase the dosage, which helps your symptoms & it does take weeks to show improvement of some things and staying on it a while(even a really long time) Some things you can get relief sooner...There are also h2 blockers for acid that you can use with ppi but, its up to your DR and his opinion of what he thinks you have wrong, some DRs have specific meds they prefer...You can ask your doctor about treating with OTC while you find a RX or use them to treat side effects until the meds kick in, see if some side effects go away(e.g. the ppi bothers your throat, see if using a liquid first, then the pill, until your throat calms down, then just use the ppi) something like OTC gaviscon, you'd have to ask your Dr, there is also a foaming agent by gaviscon, creates a barrier, keeping acid down.... sometimes it takes a combination of things, there is a RX med that coats stomach and etc called Sucralfate/Carafate, mostly h2 & ppi alone or combos..trial & error.......you know the OTHER things, the basics? like prop up your head 6in (like a ramp from your waist to avoid neck problems) no eating 2hrs before bed, avoid oily, greasy, high fat, deep fried foods, restrict caffeine(stimulates stomach acid)....be sure to ask your Dr about ANY med even OTC, some have Magnesium, Calcium and etc.. that can interfere with absorption other meds or need to be taken at specific times, plus too much mag. can cause diarrhea, too much cal. can cause stones...so keep track of your TOTAL DAILY USAGES, with your DR consulting...sorry so long, that's me, lol...good luck, come back ANYTIME

BEST WISHES💒🎶♾🍀☮🌈🐾💐💞

• Posted

I can't thank you enough for all that information Sgt.lindalee. I am so sorry that you have had such an awful time but you have a great attitude to it all and I find that inspirational. I shall note all the things you say and check I am doing as much as I can right. I have tried most things normally recommended but I have seen too many doctors, I think and all they have done is confuse me with conflicting diagnoses and advice. They have said they can not help me unless I have the manometry and I need to be off medication for that. I have been holding out and hanging on for hospitals to start working normally again but my symptoms are horrible the burning reflux into the throat etc much worse than before I tried Lansoprazole. Iam basically terrified of the medication because I feel ok except for the throat and reflux, on tablets I feel much worse. I give up hysterical, usually, because I can't cope with the anxiety. I shall have to worry about now, I think, not about what might not happen. Trial and error is hard. Thank you for another wonderful reply and I hope things get better for us soon .

• Posted

Hi Jeanne, Yes, its so frustrating, wish I could be of more help but, really these meds are considered safe, they can have side effects but, I think you will find one, a combo, or another form of the meds like a liquid, etc.. that works...it really is worth it to keep trying...if you need to chat, ANYTIME!! TAKE CARE💒💐🎶♾🌈🐾😊🍀☮

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.