Baby Aspirin and Nausea

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with PV. I just started taking 81mg of aspirin last week and have been nauseated about the same amount of time. I generally only get nauseated right after I eat or drink anything, even water. I know long term aspirin use can cause stomach issues but I can't believe it would be this soon, especially since I have been able to tolerate Motrin and Advil without issue. Has anyone else had similar problems?

One side notes. Just finished 4 rounds of chemo for breast cancer 5 weeks ago and had very little nausea the entire 4 months.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi deb I cannot aspirin at all.  I get stomach pain and feel nauseous within a day or two.  I tried taking 81 mg for the Pv and had to stop in a few days.  Possibly you have an ulcer which I have had.  I do find it strange that you can take Advil and Motrin though cause I can't take them either.  So for me, the easiest, cheapest treatment for Pv, I couldn't take.  How ironic, isn't it? 

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I am meeting with a gastroenterologist tomorrow. I'll see what he thinks is causing the nausea. Hoping it's not the aspirin though.

• Posted

Hi Deb the only way you'll know if it's an ulcer or gastritis is with an endoscopy.  I've read that a lot of us with Pv have h-pylori which is a bacteria  that thrives in acid.  Of which our stomach has.  Have you tried either Prilosec or Nexium before taking aspirin?  That might help.  Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.