Back Pain causing me to have restless nights sleep

Posted , 3 users are following.

Argh what i would give for 1 night to sleep right through.

Since Friday night i have been unable to settle at night and sleep right through, generally this is not a problem for me but for some reason i just cannot settle and the pain is unbearable even with taking pain killers 30 minutes before bed. I have cocodamol 30/500mg and citalopram. i did have Zopiclone sleeping tablets but due to their side effects i threw them away months ago.

Lost as to what to do at night, i am tired so that is not the issue i just keep waking at various times in the night, nothing is working.

Any advice will be most helpful. I am getting a tens machine tomorrow from the hospital and i have an MRI booked for the 22nd but until then i need to find a way to manage the pain especially at night times.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

The TENS will help...I love mine set on "modulate"

Our body releases melatonin in preparation to sleep but our lights and screens inhibit this process. I take 3 mg melatonin two hours before bedtime...took a few days, but I sleep and straight through.

,Room is cool, blackout window coverings up.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi,

I have limited screen time also before bed but this makes no difference for me at the moment.

With the melatonin is that something a GP prescribes?

• Posted

I got my tens machine to try this morning, apparently it is not advised for bed time but i will try it during the day. I took 2 kalms last night and my lavender scented warm buddie to bed and that seemed to settle me after i fell asleep.

hugs too.

• Posted

Thanks and although it is still new the sensation is not working for me either, i used it for a hour or so last night and just feels weird and odd.

Oddly enough my back feels worse today than it did yesterday.

• Posted

for a TENS to be effective, it needs to be positioned on top of the nerve.

A TENS does not eliminate pain like a narcotic does. A TENS interrupts the pain signal so that it can not reach the brain. Rather than the pain signal reaching the brain, the TENS signal reaches the brain. You have to work with the TENS to find the volumn that works best for you.

When you put it on, try to relax...I have slept in mine. I have a Meda One Step from the early nineties.

hugs

• Posted

She know what she talking about. I have a TENS unit as well and I know that it will take a little experience to get some results. And it is very important to place the stickies in the right place and in the right order. So that the red and the black are kitty corner from each other. But I'm pretty confident you will find that it work fairly well in blocking the pain signals. I've never slept with mine because I was told not to. And I would be afraid too. I guess I just don't think it's safe but that's just me. Good luck on that I hope it works for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.