Benzalkonium Chloride Free Eye Drops

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was diagnosed with an MCAD, probably MCAS, earlier in May.  I've been using cromolyn eye drops for almost two months and ketotifen for almost a month with no problems.  

As far as I can tell, virtually all non-single-use cromolyn and ketotifen fumarate eye drops have benzalkonium chloride, which I've read can cause mast cell reactivity.  Over the last week I've developed a rangingly-severe pain in my right eye along with blurriness that sort of comes and goes but now is just there most of the time.

I've read, with dubious authority that blurred vision may generally just be an MCAS etc. issue.  I've also had eye discomfort but never this degree of idiopathic pain.  I saw an ophthalmologist who could find no discernible issue on examination (but didn't do like tear tryptase stuff etc.).  So two tangential questions -

1)  Does anyone have experience with tear tryptase tests?  Where do you go to have that done - allergist?  Ophthalmologist?

2)  Does anyone have any experience with these symptoms - severe almost foreign object pain and acute blurring without any other discernible symptoms like fainting or dizziness?  (I concede the possibility this may just be the most recent peak severity of my other eye symptoms... but the blurriness isn't really tenable.)

To the original question, it seems all commercial preparations of cromolyn and ketotifen eye drops have benzalkonium chloride.  I can't find for-sale single-use vials, which allegedly don't use the preservative.  But whether or not this is my issue (and I suspect it is not), how do MCAS patients who react to benzalkonium chloride get around this issue?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My pharmacist advises me that there are none - at least not in the United States...
    • Posted

According to Sandoz, they do not make one without it.
  • Posted

It would have been easier to delete this, but the answer is a compounding pharmacy, which will require prescriptions even for OTC stuff like ketotifen eye drops.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.