Brain zaps, arms tingling, muscles weak feeling, unable to sleep, can Prilosec cause this?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

for the past 2 weeks i have been struggling to get real sleep at night, due to anxiety over a vertigo bout along with PVC heart beats. Anyways 6 days ago i started taking Prilosec as recommended for heart burn and to help with the PVC's. After 3 days on Prilosec i cant sleep at all at night. I lay in bed with what feels like brain zaps, like im being shocked awake everytime i dose off. i also have tingling in my arms and muscle weakness, dizziness, extreme anxiety.Trying to figure out the cause so that i may get rest again. i use to be able to sleep so easily but now i just cant. If anyone has any insight i would greatly appreciate it.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ashley,

I see it's been 7 months since you posted this and I'm wondering how you are doing by now? I was on 20 mg omeprazole for a year and I have had all of these same strange and frightening symptoms. The brain zaps when dozing off are the worst!

I'm off the drug for two weeks now and symptoms have abated a little bit, not happening every day now, but they still aren't gone. I hope that yours are and that you found relief. Please let me know if you can.

• Edited

Yes. you are the first person to describe those same brain zaps i used to feel. i was on/off OTC nexium but would take antacids everyday. had to take antibiotics for a UTI in 2019 and all hell broke loose. the brain zaps went away on its own but it used to happen to me when dosing off also. after many years and so much research, i have came to the conclusion that the antacids/ppis/antibiotics and probably other meds as well, significantly change our gut microbiome. among the many side effects and long term health issues it causes, one of them is affecting our neurotransmitter production. what creates neurotransmitters? amino acids. where do amino acids come from? PROTEIN. well how are we supposed to break down protein? STOMACH ACID. so what do you think will happen if we suppress our stomach acid production? it just all correlates. have you made any improvements?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.