Can acid rebound from short term Esomeprazole last for months?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I took Esomeprazole for 4-6 weeks only. Inwas supposed to take it for a week or so for mild heartburn, but the withdrawal symproms were so bad I had to continue the medicine.

Now I have been off the medicine over three months but my stomach is still burning! I have some good days once in a while and the burning stops but it alwas comes back. I have IBS so my stomach is never normal but this burning sensation is almost unbearable. I guess I can manage through this somehow but will this ever end? Sometimes when the burning is really bad even my arms and legs feel like they are burning.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try acidophilus helps to settle tummy or a pro biotic xxx
    • Posted

I can't take anything because this acid rebound is messing with my IBS so I can only eat rice, vegetables and eggs at the moment. I've tried almost everything but nothing helps.

My main concern is that will this burning go away eventually. Esomeprazole caused also many nasti side effects like muscle weakness and joint pains, but they are almost gone now, so some progress is happening - excelt with the acid problem. I didn't have this burning before starting esomeprazole.

• Posted

Sorry about what you are going thru.  Controlling diet is a great way to go.  Diet, Zantac/antacids, using digestive enzymes/apple cider vinegar is how I got off PPIs but then I again I was not dealing with IBS.  Enzymes, for me, helped accelerate gastric emptying which decreased the reflux I was suffering with.  Seems like you may have tried some of these.  Also seems like you have caught onto the fact that PPIs are extremely poisonous the longer you take them (something that my doctor never warned me about).  I am struggling with the muscle weakness and joint pains.  Can I ask what you did or doing to get rid of your muscle weakness and joint pain?  I could sure use some good advice.  Currently, I am just taking multivitamins, extra magnesium and apple cider vinegar.  Also using muscle stretches and trigger point releases and all of the above seem to be helping but it is a slow and frustrating process.

Good luck and thanks in advance.

• Posted

I can't do much about my diet anymore and antacids cause me pain in my stomach because my ibs. I guess I could give it another tey though.

The muscle weakness went away slowly after quitting the drug. Well, actually after quitting the weakness and pain got worse for a while. Specially when the burning really started I lost all my power and couldn't even walk. Now after three months of quitting I still feel a bit weak sometimes but it's nothing compared to what it was in the beginning. It takes time but the good news is it will eventually go away by itself.

• Posted

Yes I got muscle pain on the ppi but I came off for 2 years and managed on alternatives by stop working also you mentioned cider Vinager I tryi was awful acid on it so what works for one doesn’t for another unfortunately but good these forums as many lots advice work for me . I can only take protoprazole not omorezole as lowered my b12 now on injection also I have Ibs and twisted colon had all the test up down 😳🙄it is trial error so many of us get these conditions , I don’t drink smoke excercise my downfall is sugar I adore icecream xx

• Posted

Thanks for the info.  My symptoms are nowhere near as bad as before so I am holding on to hope.  The pattern you described is the same thing I experienced.  Felt really bad after I quit but it slowly started to feel better.  Of course I have been on it a lot longer than you so it will be a long recovery,  I presume.  So glad that you have recovered or at least almost recovered.  I hope you can find something that works for you and stay off the PPIs.  I know they serve a purpose for others but for me they are absolute poison.
    • Posted

Hi, can i ask what digestive enzymes you took? I'm trying to fix my system as we speak due to lansoprazole side effects!!

• Posted

I think the best thing to do is to go back to your GP and discuss your symptoms. There may be a clinical reason for your acid reflux/heartburn. Perhaps you need a gastroscopy to get a definite diagnosis. To avoid rebound you need to be stepped down on to another medication and withdraw slowly. To allow  your reflux to get out of control which in itself can do more harm than taking your medication it is therefore best to seek further medical help. 
  • Posted

Nasty story...

Mine is not so bad, but it's longer. I've been on Lansoprazole for over 8 years, 15mg. I take a 30mg capsule and open it halves the cost. I can't cut it out, the pain is far too great, but if there are side effects,I'm uncertain what they are for me. I need VitB12 and Ferritin injections from time to time, or I get terribly run down. I'm considering the new trial operation to harden up my hiatus hernia - that lets the acid out. The acid is not the problem, it's where it gets to that causes my pain.

• Posted

We are in the same boat. I was taking it for three months. I followed all the appropriate guidelines. My rebound has been horrible. I'm still getting burning stomach, hiccups and belching . No reflux or hernia here. Be advised there is documented gastritis from ppi rebound. Basically hypersecretion can irritate the stomach to a point of inflammation. I've been off a month and a half and it's horrible. The worst thing I've ever been through. I take dgl, slippery elm, probiotics, digestive enzymes and eat light. It doesn't matter, every and any food causes burning / hypersecretion . You're not alone

• Posted

I went back to ppi's for a week and now truing to withdraw from them. I'm now getting horrible rebound again but I'm hopeful because I realized quitting caffeine helped me a lot. I had been drinking a cup of green tea and that made my stomach to produce too much acid 24/7. Get rid of all the trigger foods, that really can make the difference. 

• Posted

I've went on a low histamine diet, and I drink plenty of water. I suffer from itching too from ppi rebound. For me, any food or drink triggers hypersecretion right now. Hoping in time it will subside

• Posted

Can I ask how you know that the itching is related to ppi rebound?  

I assume your doctor did not tell that.  It’s unfortunate about how little doctors know side effects related to PPIs.  

Thanks in advance. 

• Posted

Itching from ppi rebound is a little known rebound effect even though it's been widely documented in literature. My local gastrologist wouldn't listen to me about this. I revisited my gastrologist at the Mayo clinic. I have hypersecretion or burning after each meal. As soon as this happens, the itching starts. My burning stomach and itching happen together. My gastrologist at the Mayo clinic said "absolutely" . He said hypersecretion and histamine release in the stomach go hand in hand. As time goes by and my stomach returns to normal, this should resolve . He told me "you seem to have known what your local gastrologist doesn't "...this didn't surprise me in the least.

• Posted

Is there a proven way we can educate or medical professionals ?
    • Posted

The only way I've been able to prove my doctors wrong is push for tests they don't think of or tell me I don't need. I've been though the ringer with issues and I've heard "you're ok, nothing's wrong" only to have tests come back and prove them wrong

• Posted

I'm very curious to know, has there been any progress? I have been almost two weeks without ppi's now and I'm having bad acid reflux. I'm even wondering if it is bile because I have this horrible taste in my mouth. Some people say ppi's can cause bile reflux. I don't know if the medicine messes with the gallbladder or if there is another way bile refluxex in the stomach because of ppi use.

• Posted

Ppi can cause bile. Studies show people with no previous bile reflux developed it after ppi. Most of the time, it goes away. Yes, ppi use can alter gallbladder function. Stomach acid is needed to trigger bile and depending on the length of time you've been on it, it has been known to affect gallbladder function in some patients. I'm seeing a little improvement. It's been two months I think? Some people have fought rebound for up to six months before it subsided. I'm avoiding fruit , sugar, dairy and soy and gluten right now

• Posted

I sure hope I didn't develop a permanent bile reflux, that would mean I'm screwed as my stomach doesn't tolerate any medicine because of my IBS. Last time I tried to quit I got a bad flare up after three months, I think a pain killer (paracetamol) triggered it. Now I'm going throuh all the same symptoms again, I get severe pain sometimes that feels like the is a huge oressure in my chest. I'm hetting an endoscopy in a few weeks, who know what that reveals.

Good to hear there is at least some proggress. It's not hard to believe it can take even six months to heal. Hopefully it doesn't take that long. 

• Posted

I have ibs as well. Sometimes I'm not sure if my stomach burning sensation is dyspepsia from ibs or a gastritis flares up. I seem to react to so many foods that my diet is bland and boring. Hopefully your endoscopy goes well. I never get heartburn but just like the pit of my stomach is on fire. It certainly takes its toll

• Posted

I know the IBS burning sensation in the stomach as I have it too even before this ppi experiment. It's indeed hard sometimes to tell if the burning is just IBS type irritation or acid rebound. Surely the acid makes it worse so it could both.

• Posted

I agree, my gastro said ppi rebound can actually cause gastritis. Too much acid at once can irritate the stomach lining. Oh the joys
    • Posted

hi jeremy,

are you taking any med instead of ppi? i am tring to quit as well its been 4 months after i switched to zantac from ppi after weaning slowly for 3 months. i am still having the burning sensation, itching yes i have it too , ribs pain, globus. i don't know it will ever subside or not. i fear i have ulcers from the rebound now.

• Posted

sounds like we have a lit in common. No, im not on any other meds, I did however take dgl licorice and mastic gum and avoided high fat foods. At 5 months after ppi stoppage, i am finally seeing the burning, itching, hiccups and burps going away. Youll notice online that it says rebound doesnt last longer than 3 months, that of course is totally false. Mine lastee for 5 months ...i suffered from rebound gastritis which is why i was put on ppi to start. So....thet didnt really do anything for me. Honestly i feel that ppi should only be given for ulcrs or severe reflux ..not gastritis. I think that can be controlled through diet and my gastritis has finally calmed down.

• Posted

How did it work out for you, did the rebound finally settle? I am 6 weeks off after being on for about 8 months now, and google says that it could take up to 3 months to mellow out. Looking for some hope!

• Posted

I'm rebound free! It does happen. Hang in there. It may take you a little longer but you'll get there. Doctors never tell you about the rebound affect. It took me 5 months...but that's not the case for everyone. Most people settle in around the 3 month mark.

• Posted

Hi Jeremy. It's nice to hear that you finally managed with your rebound.

Some time ago I was going through a lot of stress and anxiety, after a couple of such misserably days I've got this burning sensation in my stomach and nausea. My doctor prescribed esomeprosal. I took them for 2 weeks, then stopped and had endoscopy. It turned out that i have small gastritis caused by reflux bile. So again i started with PPI for 2 months, after that 2 weeks in reduced dose, and another two weeks every other day. Now i am off for 2 weeks, occasionally i take famotidine. So far my rebound is very subtle, but for 3 days i have a light burning sensation in my stomach and i am wondering if it's rebound effect caused by overproduced accid that irritates my stomach whiche my be still weak after gastritis or maybe my initial disease (gastritis) is coming back???

I do not have this burning sensation for almost 3 months when i taken PPI so i quess that bile is not a problem because this medication is not working for bile. Any suggestions? My symptoms are very similar to yours. I hope that this is only rebound effect....

Sorry for my english.

• Posted

I would say the burning sensation is most likely acid rebound. When we take those medications for acid, not only does it stop or lower our acid....it eventually reduces the thickness of our stomach lining that protects our stomach from acid. So when your acid rebounds, it burns your stomach until it gets back to normal so to speak. Yes, those meds are not great for bile acid. I would give it a while to recover. If it's mild right now, you will probably be ok. I'm sure it will subside soon. Mine was pretty severe though it finally stopped.

• Posted

Hi Jeremy. Thank you very much for quick answer. I have additional questions:

1. Why did you start taking your PPI? What was your initial diagnosis?
      2. Did you ever (before PPI, during or after) have gastritis visible in endoscope that finally was cured and never returned?
      3. Did you feel sick (nausea, headache, fatigue) after stopped PPI?
      4. How quick your severe symptoms occured after you stopped PPI?

As I mentioned earlier, i stopped taken them 13 days ago, my stomach is mostly fine (sometimes a little nausea, felling of fullness) but for couple of days i am really fatigue and my head is hurting. But maybe its from hydroxyzine which i take for sleep for almost 3 months now...

• Posted

1. They started me on meds due to an ulcer brought on by advising
      2. Yes...I had gastritis consistently afterwards...the cause was never known but advised triggered complete chaos. I will say my vitamin D was severely low
      3. I never felt sick but had horrible stomach burns...burping and gas
      4. My symptoms started 2 to 3 days after stopping
    • Posted

sorry ...autocorrrect changed my spelling. Its advil not advised

• Posted

Thank you! I am feeling much better, at least from psychological point of view 😃 My gastritis was caused by bile in stomach. Propably during these very anxiety and stressfull days I had some kind of disfunction with my pylorus so bile was transfered into the stomach. I hope that this was incidental and never happen again. I do not take any medicine for bile accid for over two months so i guess its cured. Now i will have to continue cured stomach linning..

• Posted

Hi Jeremy, I have a few additional questions which i forgot to ask previously.

1. Did you come off from PPI cold turkey, or it was slowly process and you tapered them off?

2. Since the beginnig of my treatment I've had hard or loose (but mostly hard) yellow stole. Now when i stopped PPI i have very loose (but still yellow ) stole, sometimes even a light and short term (mornings) diarrhea (without stomach pain etc.). Did you also have such problems? It's especially problematic and concerning because I am scared that there is still something off with my stomach, and because i will have to test my stole for Helicobacter and i can't give them such sample 😃

3. Did you have anby other withdrawl symtoms beside burning, hiccups and belching? I have felling of fullness and sometimes a little pressure in upper stomach.

Thank you in advance.

• Posted

1. I came off them slowly
      2. The only issue I ever had digestion wise is Constipation. Your stomach acid is reduced so food sits longer.
      3. I don't remember having a fullness feeling as a withdrawal symptom. I did though feel full while on ppi due to food sitting.
    • Posted

hi, i know you posted this a long time ago but i am just wondering did the rebound settle down for you in the end? do you have any tips for me as i am currently suffering really badly with rebound acid reflux. thankyou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.