Can lansoprazole/prevacid side effects last for weeks after stopping them ?

Posted , 11 users are following.

After 6 weeks of 30 mg/day I stopped Lansoprazole nearly 2 weeks ago because of side effects like shaking legs and hands, anxiety, chest tigthness, throat cramps and involuntary  muscle movement, spaced out feeling brain fog etc. I tapered myself off of it and still got shakes, tingeling in my limbs and somewhat brainfog at times plus major anxiety and tight muscles. How long did it take for your side effects to wear off after quitting? Has anyone experienced lasting side effects from this? Its almost like you wake up in the morning and your legs and hands feel chill and weak and you feel like your brain is not working right. Sometimes it just lifts off itself and you feel normal for a day or so and the next day is bad again. What the heck is this poison??? By the way earlier this year I took Nexium for 2 weeks and after quitting my body did the same thing. After a week I got scared and went back on and immediately the weird chills and shaking stopped. Maybe my body is responding to the acid rebound (which gives me lots of heartburb) in a weird way. Thanks for all input.

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Stefan, yep it does last a while and infact I have come off them for over 6 months and still having issues, went back on them for 1 month and no different so off to see consultant for his views on Monday, fed up with not being in control of my body.  Hope all passess for you soon
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Stomach acid for one, especially in the morning when I first wake up, it is like my body is trying to adjust to not having lanzoprazole, sort of clearing out my system.  I have had headaches and general lethargy.  I have tried modifying with food - all sorts - and believe it or not over the last couple of days I stopped having breakfast just tea first thing and then water till lunch time, has eased it quite a bit.  Also quite tender around stomach hope that will ease too.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Brain fog goes with the loss of good bacteria and too much bad bacteria in the gut. So you need to put that balance right before that symptom and some or all of the others are put right too.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have just stopped taking them after 3 /4 years they have made me gain weight and have ibs my joints all ache I stopped them 7 days ago and loss 7 lb 😀but I have to say I feel foggy and want to keep 😥😥very emotional and depressed feelings only just realised what these drugs do to your body hope it gets better 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up