Can lansoprazole/prevacid side effects last for weeks after stopping them ?

Posted , 17 users are following.

After 6 weeks of 30 mg/day I stopped Lansoprazole nearly 2 weeks ago because of side effects like shaking legs and hands, anxiety, chest tigthness, throat cramps and involuntary  muscle movement, spaced out feeling brain fog etc. I tapered myself off of it and still got shakes, tingeling in my limbs and somewhat brainfog at times plus major anxiety and tight muscles. How long did it take for your side effects to wear off after quitting? Has anyone experienced lasting side effects from this? Its almost like you wake up in the morning and your legs and hands feel chill and weak and you feel like your brain is not working right. Sometimes it just lifts off itself and you feel normal for a day or so and the next day is bad again. What the heck is this poison??? By the way earlier this year I took Nexium for 2 weeks and after quitting my body did the same thing. After a week I got scared and went back on and immediately the weird chills and shaking stopped. Maybe my body is responding to the acid rebound (which gives me lots of heartburb) in a weird way. Thanks for all input.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi There, how bad was your anxiety on them? I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and hylori bacter last year after a gastroscope but I properly started taking either Lansoprazole or nexium every day since September. The hylori bacter are gone now.

In October I noticed very bad moods around my period and weird thoughts, a touch of anxiety. But a few weeks ago after my period ended it didn't end, it got worse. It's built up to where I can't drive, I have weak muscles, bad vision, confused thoughts, depression that comes and go in severity and have to take xanax every other day for panic attacks. Above all else, it just feels like you've been poisoned slowly. It's taken a while to build up. Everything in my life is good on paper, so why feel like this?

I went for blood tests and the doctor said everything was fine. Then the other day I looked at the lansopraxole I have been taking every day and googled it and found these forums. I got on to my doctor and he told me get off them for seven days to see how I feel, am three days off it, can't get out of bed, have anxiety, depressed thoughts, lack of appetite and general malaise.

If it was a drug without these side effects why would he have told me to go off them? They must know about these studies into anxiety and depression from them?

I am hoping that these are just withdrawal symptoms as I am on no other drugs. I hope others have a quick recovery off this drug. I am using silicol gel and so far it seems to be working. I know this might not be the case for people with more severe stomach issues than me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.