CHEST PAIN CAN IT BE RELATED TO TAKING OMEPRAZOLE

Posted , 2 users are following.

WAS DIAGNOSED WITH GERD/GORD OVER 18 MONTHS AGO. WAS GIVEN DIFFRENT ANTI ACID MEDS. NOHTING WORKED. HAD AN ENDOSCOPY AND WAS FOUND TO HAVE A 4CM HIATAL HERNIA. WAS GIVEN OMEPRAZOEL TO REDUCE THE ACID PRODUCTION IN STOMACH. HAVE BEEN TAKING 20MG TWICE A DAY SINCE MID JULY. FELT WORSE AND WAS HAVING CHEST PAINS WHICH I THOUGHT WERE TO DO WITH THE ERFLUX. STOPPED TAKIGN THE OMEPRAZOLE AS FELT IT WAS NOT DOING ANYTHING AND MY PAINS HAVE GOT BETTER. THEY FELT LIKE A STABBLING PAIN IN THE MIDDLE OF MY CHEAST. AT FIRST I THOUGHT IWAS HAVING A HEART ATTACK. HAS ANYONE HAD THESE PAINS AND ARE THEY RELATD TO THE OMEPRAZOLE. BEEN BACK TO THE GP HE THINKS I MAY HAVE GALL BLADDER DISEAS AS INDIGESTION CAN BE CAUSED BY THE GALL BLADDER.

ANY ONCE GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi ya

i suffer with bad chest pains but this is due to the acid reflux. omeprazole eases mine but sadly i get real bad headaches with them... i am on nexium which (touch wood) i have no side effects from. although i know the say you cant stay on them for more than 8 weeks on a low dose. keep on at your gp till he/she does something.. my gp needs a rocket up his jacksey to get him to do anything.

hope you get better soon

ally.g

• Posted

Thanks for that at times I have felt as if I was going mad. The pain I get in my chest is a stabbing pain and I have always thought I was having a hearth attack. I now have an appointment with the Gastroenterologist at UCH in London on the 22nd NOvember. Hopefully they will be able to sort me out. I am taking 4 painkillers a day to keep the chest pain and back pain (a permanent ache) at bay and have started taking Zantac which has helped, much more than the Omeprazole. I take one tablet a day and do not need to take any Gaviscon which I was drinking straight out of the bottle!!!

Hope you feel better soon.

Teresa

• Posted

Hi I suffer from Barrett's esophagus which was caused by years of suffering from indigestion and doing nothing about it even though i was forever poping rennies but I didn't go to the doctor about it until it was too late and now i have this damaged inside me which i have been told could eventually go cancerious at any time.

Myself and partner both suffer from indigestion and have both been prescribed Omezaprozole. I take 20mg every day and my partner takes 20Mg twice a day along with Gaviscon which works for him as well.

We both previously suffered from bad indigestion but since taking Omeprazole we very rarely suffer from it now and only occationaly when we slip up when we are bad .

Its a process of ellimination as we have cut out most fatty fooods and eat smaller amounts at more regular times.

We do still have occations where we eat fatty foods and sometimes we get away with it with very little suffering.

We have also lost weight and also try and eat healthy which works for us. We were advised by a consultant at the hospital to try and not eat anything after 9 oclock at night and to prop up our bed at the top end with books.

We have tried everything as well as loosing weight, not getting stressed and taking plenty of excercise which has all helped.

It's a process of ellimination and only you will know what works for you when you give it a try but don't let your suffering go on as it could result in unreparable damage like I have as i didn't think anything about it when i used to pop rennies by the packet.

Best to give them a good try and see if they stop your indigestion as they are a very good drug and are relitavely safe. You getting hot might not be anything to do with taking these tablets as it might just be that your concious of the fact that you have taken your first one. If you experince any other said effects get back in touch with you doctor and talk to him about it but give them a good try and see how you get on but if your acid keeps coming back up then insist that you are refrered to a consultant as if left unnatended to go on for some time it can cause long term damage to the esophagus which can lead to cancer. Mt partner has had chest and back pains which he was told was refered pain from his esophagus but you are bst to insist on seeing a consultant who will carry out tests to see what is causing the problems you are having.

• Posted

Interesting ... and had a hiatal hernia years ago and have had some form on indigestion ever since but it been manageable. A couple years ago got much worse so I started taking prolesic and it seemingly kept getting worse dr said keep taking it. After a severe episode during the night I ended up at emergency room ran $10000 worth of test and could not figure anything out. I was thinking led to follow up with a gastroenterologist which I did (thank goodness) finally did a test an determined had gallbladder problem ended up having surgery had felt better ever since... until recently still take Zantac here and there but getting worse decided I would take prolesic for 14 days thinking it's stronger...I ended up going to urgent care last week thought I was having a heart attack...dr there said keep taking prolesic last night had another severe attack pain in chest and back ended up taking a Zantac trying to get relief and it helped. I am feeling much better today and decided NO MORE PRILOSEC for me!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.