Chest pain on and off for a few weeks now, now my left arm and leg hurt

Posted , 2 users are following.

This may be long winded...

Im a 17 year old male and basically for the past 4-5 weeks I've had this on and off chest pain which is usually on the left but sometimes on the right.

It's been causing me quite a lot of stress and causes me a lot of anxiety which makes my face feel weird.

The problem started actually without chest pains. I was awake late at night and I felt suddenly quite sick and dizzy/ faint. Since then I had a dull headache for over a week, which went away when we went on holiday on a plane. Once the plane landed my chest pain started and hasn't gone away since then. I've been to the doctor twice since the dizzy spell and they are saying it's anxiety - but they haven't done any tests like ecg's or xrays or anything they just took my blood pressure / listened to heart rate and that was it. They said if it hadn't gone by a month they would put me on beta blockers to stop the adrenaline.

The thing is, I don't think it is anxiety. A few months ago now I was walking home from college with loads of uni Prospectuses in my bag and I had similar chest pains for about a week after that because I must have pulled a muscle - but they went away after a week or two unlike this pain. My chest pain can come even when I'm completely relaxed and isn't particually made worse by physical exertion.

My parents are convinced it's anxiety and it's made worse because I have time to think about it... But I'm not anxious about anything EXCEPT the pains, so I'm not sure if it is caused by that.

So I started doing exercise every day, and two days ago I did some weight lifting with my arms with hand sized dumb bells and jumping and walks and runni g up and down stairs etc but now my left arm really hurts whenever I extend it - my right arm hurts a little but nothing like my left. Also, my left calf (lower leg) really hurts like I've pulled a muscle but my right leg is fine.

Any ideas what it could be?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Also, my pain is kinda the opposite of my elbow if you know what I mean, like the crook of ny arm.

I tried to extend my arm fully but it hurt quite bad and now my arm is kinda red in that area? It's like I can extend my arm about half way and I feel alright but then after a certain point it just hurts really bad.

• Posted

Hi thomas30343

You may have some inflammation going on in your body..you will need an ESR blood tests and CRP blood test also an ANA blood test..if they are raised then you have inflammation in your body that will be causing pain..Also have your Vit D Calcium and Magnesium checked ..if these vits and minerals are low it can cause you bone pain....and cause pain in your sternum(chest)....these are suggestions not diagnosis...visit your doc and ask for the tests....and a complete blood count...best wishes...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.