Chronic kidney disease after taking PPIs?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was on PPIs for 5 years and have been off of them for almost 2 years.  I was just wondering if anyone out there has been diagnosed with CKD after chronic exposure to PPIs?  If so, what symptoms are you experiencing?  My complaints are some fatigue and muscle tightness/cramping around my neck, back, chest and abdomen. I do urinate once during the evening which I never used to do.  I had blood work done about 1.5 years ago and kidney function was fine.  I do not have any nausea or vomiting or loss of appetite.  

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

CAN I ask how you banged yo stop taking PPI medication had your symptoms gone and what PPI were you taking 
    • Posted

Wasn’t 100% sure of the question you were asking but I will take a guess.   I think auto correct took over before you hit reply.  I assume you are asking how I stopped taking PPIs (in my case lansoprazole).  It took about 6 months to come off PPIs completely.  I started by taking it every other day then every third day then even more.  I had some terrible days in between which I tried to control with Pepcid and or antacids.  I was also very careful to control my diet and avoid any obvious triggers.  When the intensity of the burning seemed less intense I tried Apple cider vinegar.  I read about it and bought into the theory about quicker gastric emptying which helps alleviate or eliminate reflux symptoms.  Sounds a little crazy but for me it really worked.  
  • Posted

I do not have Kidney disease that I know of.  But I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after 3 years of PPi drugs.  I have some similar symptoms of muscle issues.  I have to take 500mg of magnesium every day.  I would recommend extreme nutrition by juicing organic vegetables every day.  They are the main source of nutrients and can help you recover.  You can also put the veggies in a blender if you can't juice.  The body will recover if it has the nutrition it needs to repair the damage.  John

• Posted

Thanks.  I too take extra magnesium everyday.   Can I ask what kind of vegetables?   Sounds like a good idea worth trying.  
    • Posted

I choose grocery stores that have the biggest produce sections.  Then I choose unusual produce that I would not normally eat.  Parsley, celery, turnips, carrots, spinach.  Dark greens have the most minerals.  If you can tolerate fruit, add some to the mix, Apples, pears, peaches whatever you can find.  Get different ones each time.  I make a batch in the morning and then have a glassful before or with each meal.  I also have learned that fasting 3 hours between meals is beneficial to digestion and blood glucose. 
  • Posted

Hi Jhleerph... I’ve been on PPi’s for 10+ years (Prilosec) and wish I could get off them. Luckily, I’ve had no I’ll effects.  Regarding chronic kidney disease: There have been some really shaky studies that show that there *might* be a link between PPIs and CKD, but so far no studies have proven a link.  That said, I wouldn’t be overly concerned about CKD.  However, if you have symptoms that you’re concerned about, definitely go in for a routine physical and blood work.  I make sure to go in for blood work every 12 months like clockwork. Blood work will show kidney function, etc...and can give you a sense of relief. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.