Chronic leg pain at night...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello!

I am a 26 year old, female suffering from chronic nighttime leg pain. The best way that I can describe the pain is like growing pains. However, being 26, I'm fairly certain that I'm done growing.

I've been dealing with this leg pain for nearly 4 years and have not been able to get an answer. The pain started about a year after I had gastric bypass surgery. It only occurs in my legs and 95% of the time, only at night while I'm in bed.

I have had numerous tests done and have seen many doctors and not one of them have been able to give me a diagnosis or even come close to figuring out what is wrong with my legs. I originally saw my GP for the issue who ran normal labs including vitamin levels, minerals, etc. The only thing that came back abnormal were my creatine kinase levels which wound up leveling out themselves. She then referred me to a rheumatologist who could not find anything wrong, referred me to a neurologist who did an MRI of my brain to look for MS. Nothing.

Fast forward a year or so later, new GP, same tests being redone. Added a nerve and muscle test, everything still came back normal.

I'm just about ready to give up on searching for answers, but I'm so tired of the restless nights and the pain. I lost 150lbs to feel BETTER, yet somehow I feel worse. My bariatric surgeon said its not related to the surgery. I currently get monthly massages, use CBD and other topical pain relief products. I take gabapentin for sciatic nerve pain, ropinierole for RLS (which did not start until about 6 months ago). I've switched mattresses, tried compression socks, I get monthly massages. If there is something to have tried, I most likely have.

If anyone may have any idea what this could possibly be, your insight would be so greatly appreciated.

TIA!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Donna,

I am no healthcare professional but I used to suffer similar pains at night in my legs. I solved mine by drinking lots more water & ensuring my electrolytes were sufficient. I haven't had bariatric surgery but I wonder if your ability to consume enough fluids has reduced, is causing the pain? Mine was definitely dehydration, even if I didn't feel it anywhere else.

Please ignore if you are already drinking lots of water but it might be worth a try. Depending on how restrictive your diet is, just make sure you're getting a little salt & sugar too. I haven't suffered these pains for years now due to upping my water. Good luck! Oh & congrats on losing 150lb, thats amazing!

Sarah x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.