Chronic pain and now a 5th problem I've never heard of 😢

Posted , 3 users are following.

I lost my job a few months ago due to the pain .. I discovered after an mri I have osteoporosis. .. along with 2 bulging disks which cause sciatica too..which is horrid...then I was told I also have inflamed sacroiliac joints! !! .... and to my dismay today seeing my gp he told me the fleshy lumps I have felt for a while in my back is a condition called Lipoma? ?? No idea what this means now. .. finally today got referred for pain management but that's not until March 30th.. can't handle all the painkillers I'm having thrown at me ... have no support.... that I need.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julia, I deal w big time pain caused by herniated discs, which after they start to bulge they may truly herniated and the lubricant is then totally gone. You sound like you are in a panic, I get that. You now need to take your days a minute at a time, say I can deal w this, I can and will find my adult presence and try very hard to quiet my terrified adult child. I hope you understand what I am trying to point out to you. If you start to work w what your body is telling you and seek solutions you stand a much more successful outcome Julia. I have been where you are at and still fight pain daily. I am so deeply sad you are fighting this battle by yourself. That's just plain scarey. I feel for you. All of your feelings are justified, this is such a challenge. You will and mostly are in mourning for how your life is changing. I have been too and still deal w it daily. I have been thru every procedure there is and had to resort to medications in order to obtain a somewhat normal life. I fought these meds out of fear and shame for about a year, and then it really made sense to me, these medications are my friends! They help me to have a "new normal life."  I never misuse these meds, I follow the rules as I am told to do by my pain management group. I am grateful these meds are available to me. I hope your meds can give you the relief you so deserve. Try to work with what you have been dealt, it is what it is. I have said that to myself many, many times along w this is the new normal and it does not have to be all bad, different for sure. This site helps to know you are not lone in this challenge. I so hope you can pull on every strength you have been given in your life. My strengths that so helped me my Mom, my dear Grandmother. They grew up in a time when women were not given the credit we all so deserve and they stepped outside the norm and gave all there daughter, grandchildren the knowledge that this is really not the truth, women are clever, loving, smart etc., etc. you get the idea Julia. I will think of you often and believe inside of you there is the strength you need to face this situation. Every woman on this site knows you can and will handle this Julia. If you feel some big time hugs surround you they are from me sending  them to you over hill and dale wherever you are! Sweet dreams.🍀🕊😴💤💤💤🌈🌷

• Posted

Thankyou.. that was a really lovely and informative response.. I've always been extremely active and this has changed everything .... which is hard to deal with... the problem I have with painkillers is I know long term usage causes other problems .. especially to organs which I want to avoid.. my gp seems to eager to keep prescribing them ..so much that I don't even have to see him just ring and say I'm still in pain and he prescribes more via email to my chemist. .. I've no one who understands my pain here so struggle ... as well as struggling with the fact I can't do everything I used to be able to.x

• Posted

Hi julia42786

I have osteoporosis in the lumbacacral region which is very painful and causes pain in my hips and thighs. It is particularly painful at night when trying to sleep. I am grateful for my medication otherwise I would get no sleep or relief from the pain. I do a little excercise which helps the stiffness and try to be active. The lipomas you mention are fatty lumps that are not sinister they usually appear near sites in the body where there is arthritis/osteoporosis my brother had two removed one from his neck because he couldn't wear shirt and tie and his arm because it was unsightly he is a bit vain..lol.... we do learn to live with our condition and do the best we can from day to day.

I wish you well and hope you can adjust. Hope the pain management goes well and helps you with your pain...my very best wishes to you....

• Posted

Hello Lilian

Thankyou for your post. ..

My osteoporosis isn't too advanced luckily ..it's more the disks ..sciatica and inflamed sacroiliac joints I have the most pain with ...the osteoporosis is something horrid to expect over the coming years 😕 ... I don't find my gp very informative they seem to want to get you in and out to get the next patient in..so this forum is proving very helpful...

I don't know anyone close to me with these ailments so it's good to speak to others who share my pain.xx

• Posted

Hi julia

Happy to help Julia...apart from my osteoporosis i have a knee replacement op to look forward to this year! Doctors deal with patients with osteoporosis on a daily basis to them its another day at the office because osteoporosis is very common. I would think he or she has prescribed bone medication such as vit d or perhaps you wil be prescribed at your pain management.

Keep us posted with your pain management.....keep positive your not alone ...

• Posted

Thankyou in wil. .and hope your op goes well.. I haven't been prescribed anything for the osteoporosis for some reason but will bring that up at pain management .x.xx

• Posted

Your GP prescribing pain meds as easy as he is doing is very rare even in your country. Right now there is a big push to slow down or even stop the flow of the prescribing by doctors. The thought being that doctors are prescribing it too much which is causing the epidemic of addiction to opiates. However this simply is not true. Chronic pain patients are not the cause of the addiction. I can understand you not wanting to take them and that is a choice you make for yourself. There are many other options to try before going to opiates. Gabapentin and pre Gabapentin are two that many people use for pain control. Lyrica is one of those examples. You might talk to your doctor about trying that. It is a shame that you can't get in until March to see your pain management doctor but that is not uncommon. Some people wait a year to get in to see their pain management doctor. I did see that you have a problem with your SI joint. I do have one suggestion to help with that. After years of suffering with arthritis of my SI joint my pain management doctor recommended I get an SI belt. So I purchased one and although a little uncomfortable it does help with the pain. A lot of people on here are going to start saying that it can hurt your back and blah blah blah because it makes your back weak. But this is not the case because it doesn't sit at your back. This actually sits at your hips and doesn't support your back at all. It supports your SI joint which is below your actual back per se. One more suggestion... it might help you to join a pain site called my chronic pain. org. I get a lot from this site. Not only do you get support but you also get a lot of information from other people. And it's got people from Australia the UK even countries in Africa. So you'll get a broad spectrum people and their experiences. Good luck on your future back issues. Kathleen

• Posted

Wow that was really helpful .. thankyou very much... it's very confusing there's so much information and conflicting opinions....

I will look.gor one of those belts and I will also look at that pain website... thankyou again..xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.