Clinical pharmacology appointment

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have weekly venesections and am newly diagnosed with prev

with jak2 gene but was wondering what a clinical pharmacology appointment might entail.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Should read haematology
  • Posted

Weekly my goodness I couldn’t do it would make me feel weak!
  • Posted

Hi John,

This is usually to assess your current condition and if necessary make any alterations to your treatment etc.  You will probably be visiting a haematology consultant or one of the doctors in the team.   Probably take and test a blood sample which is normal.  It is all part of your ongoing treatment which will be regularly assessed.    These clinical visits will be feature of your life from now on.  They are necessary but can vary as your PV settles into a pattern.

Could be that you will need to undergo a venesection or even a change of medication.  Just take it as it comes.   Nothing of concern for you.

Peter.

• Posted

My appointments entail a blood test and a consultation, at the moment Im marrying them up with venesections which I too was having weekly, however on my last visit (last week) they advised they were changing the venesections to monthly and reducing my medication because they had seen a marked improvement in my blood levels, Im sure this will be the case for you too.
    • Posted

Thanks Lillian that's put my mind at rest, it can take a while for it to calm down

• Posted

Hi Lillian,

Your treatment seems to be following the normal course of things and coping with your condition well.   It is not unusual for treatments to vary for so too does PV.   Your results are fine and with luck can stay at a low level.   Keep well.

Peter. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.